Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#1 by Kulle » 02 Aug 2021, 11:14

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#2 by Ed_P » 02 Aug 2021, 14:55

:shock: Why? Why do they offer it and why would anyone want it??
Ed

AcnapyxoB
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus 5.01

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#3 by AcnapyxoB » 02 Aug 2021, 15:26

Kulle wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 11:14
The Edge browser is now also available for Linux
Look here:
https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en ... form=linux
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/202 ... dev-linux/
Hedgehog in pants :D
Porteus v5.01 KDE x86_64

Kulle
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: v4.0 64bit Xfce

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#4 by Kulle » 03 Aug 2021, 08:49

Just try out whether and how the Edge browser differs from the Chromium browser.

And those who are switching from Windows to Linux, who have gotten used to the Edge browser and want to keep using it

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#5 by Bicephale » 06 Aug 2021, 14:41

Oh i can imagine people wanting just that all right!

Personally i much prefer alternatives, specially those sticking to a GNU/OPEN phylosophy.

Soon it's Linux that shall allow aging legacies of the Microsoft age to survive, until safely archived...

I think. :hmmm: But until then Linux Edge may fill the gap fine.

norb
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#6 by norb » 06 Aug 2021, 22:11

Microsoft are a corporation/company so they'll do what they have to, to survive in the face of Android ( which is Linux-based).
...By which I mean, they'll bleed into FOSS territory, if possible.

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#7 by Bicephale » 07 Aug 2021, 10:01

Old people are attached to their habits and i know one elder who just won't change to FireFox, Opera nor Google's Chrome no mater what. Imagine dealing with some "misplaced" Linux task-bar although it can be moved down easily... Not to mention it's the same kind of users running an obsolete OS who will fall for bogus driver/registry "updates", even once informed the manufacturers themselves can no longer be expected to support Win7 after Microsoft dropped it, over a year ago if i'm not mistaking... Actually, simply switching from XP on a 10+ years-old machine was agravation already.

These guys can't care less what's under the hood as long as their familiar user-interface remains that: familiar. It turns out "new" stuff and discoveries don't score high past 80 or so... :wheelchair:

It seems to me that MS got a thought for this particular group and perhaps so should we. :hmmm:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#8 by Ed_P » 07 Aug 2021, 15:53

Bicephale wrote:
07 Aug 2021, 10:01
These guys can't care less what's under the hood as long as their familiar user-interface remains that: familiar.
The majority of people are that way. They get into a car to go where they want and they don't care if the car is 4 cylinder, or 6 or 8 or electric. They just want something to get them where they want to go. Same with pcs.
Ed

Kulle
Warlord
Warlord

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#9 by Kulle » 08 Aug 2021, 08:01

Hello,
under the hood of the current Edge browser is Chromium.
All Add-ons (Extensions) from the Chrome Web Store can be used
and all Extensions work.

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#10 by Bicephale » 09 Aug 2021, 11:57

Mmm... Good to know! I mean, it's never a bad thing to acquire new knowledge.

Personally i just want my analog video capture to serve really useful tasks, like to remove unwanted dark bands and broadcast as DLNA. It turns out the VLC Media Player is available, including for Porteus as i was lucky to verify recently, so i can use it to turn my transformer tablet into the portable wireless TV i once wished for, around 1995 if i recollect memories correctly... But right now it's the HardInfo application i must figure out, because i already accumulated a few outputs from Linuxium, XUbuntu and also Fedora i guess. It's there, somewhere.

I've noticed the v4.0 porteus with a relatively recent 5.4 kernel and wondered what's the advantage of continuing development while current version is 5.

Sure enough there's some fair reasoning behind these choices and i'd find interresting to learn more about it, because my motive for possibly relying on Porteus instead of other flavours as evoked above is the potential gain of processing power, which would free resources for time-critical tasks like video (nobody likes watching crappy TV), right? If v4.0 still provides sufficient kernel support and makes VLC work better, both for viewing and streaming, then i can see an advantage right there. In any case i found Fedora felt so busy (read "heavy") i had to lower expectations to XUbuntu, but not before i discovered Linuxium which actually booted fine.

By the way, IMO if one is after a "mission" for his favourite Porteus i'd say an expert system to handle booting issues universally would be a relief. There are WiFi routers running Linux after all, this must be as lightweight as it gets. Or does the Porteus advantage reside in just too many essential components missing for entertainment purposes? Which reminds me that QEMU running Windows will solve the missing drivers issue through external USB connections. Maybe that CherryTrail Full-HD tablet can do it but i lack enthousiasm when it comes to my older Acer Aspire One "D250" (Atom N270), built for Windows XP, with only 1 low-consumption 32-bits processor core from Redmond in 2008... Battery pack long dead, 1024 x 600 resolution - glasses not included.

What should i do? Visit the next geek hardware store and search for a Linux tablet, still not featured with video capture so this would come with the additional expense of a provider switch to get tablet-portable TV directly supported, via more gadgets like AppleTV, NetFlix and whatnot!

The tablet already works fine as a TV, at full capacity when a DLNA server as the HDHomeRun ATSC tuner is plugged-in, for example. Microsoft's abandon of legacy OSes eventually translates as trashing formerly-functional hardware; "save the planet" would make some nice "mission" too!! Which could make a great "niche" for porteus, would it not? ...

:thumbsup:

Kulle
Warlord
Warlord

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#11 by Kulle » 20 Dec 2022, 13:58

Hi all,
Microsoft Edge browser has a very good build-in PDF reader
Many useful features!
In large pdf files you can maneuver very quickly!

Look here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deplo ... t-edge-pdf

neko
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: APorteus-FVWM-ja-x86_64.iso

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#12 by neko » 21 Dec 2022, 03:16

microsoft-edge stable_108.0.1462.46-1_amd64 in Porteus v5.0 can be used.

PorteusV5.0-MULT_ja-22.12.15-x86_64.iso
refer to Japanese locale modules for Porteus (Post by neko #59353)

Thanks.

neko
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: APorteus-FVWM-ja-x86_64.iso

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#13 by neko » 22 Dec 2022, 10:57

microsoft-edge stable_108.0.1462.54-1_amd64 in Porteus v5.0 can be used.

PorteusV5.0-MULT_ja-22.12.22-x86_64.iso
refer to Japanese locale modules for Porteus (Post by neko #59353)

Thanks.

Testuser
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus-v5.0-64-LXDE

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#14 by Testuser » 22 Dec 2022, 18:02

Hi Team,

Edge uses lot of telemetry and collects lot of data(huge), dont use it.

I have seen like its home page opens to Microsoft's Bing website and web transactions will go to around 15-20 domains :no: :shock:

Using it will be like again partially moving back to Windows from Linux.

I think we will need to do a strace of what it does in the backend.

I meant no offence or disrespect to Windows :) :roll:

Even other browsers like Firefox and Chrome also does that.

Librefox says it stripped out Firefox's telemetry (not sure, still I use it)

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Microsoft Edge for Linux

Post#15 by Rava » 25 Dec 2022, 05:08

Testuser wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 18:02
Even other browsers like Firefox and Chrome also does that.
at least the ones putting together chromium-ungoogled claim that the tendency of Chrome Chromium of massive "telephoning home" is removed in chromium-ungoogled

https://github.com/ungoogled-software/u ... d-chromium
Without signing in to a Google Account, Chromium does pretty well in terms of security and privacy. However, Chromium still has some dependency on Google web services and binaries. In addition, Google designed Chromium to be easy and intuitive for users, which means they compromise on transparency and control of internal operations.

ungoogled-chromium addresses these issues in the following ways:

Remove all remaining background requests to any web services while building and running the browser
Remove all code specific to Google web services
Remove all uses of pre-made binaries from the source code, and replace them with user-provided alternatives when possible.
Disable features that inhibit control and transparency, and add or modify features that promote them (these changes will almost always require manual activation or enabling).

These features are implemented as configuration flags, patches, and custom scripts. For more details, consult the Design Documentation.
and on wikipedia / Ungoogled-chromium
ungoogled-chromium is a free and open-source variant of the Chromium web browser that removes all Google-specific web services.[4][5][6] It achieves this with a series of patches applied to the Chromium codebase during the compilation process. The result is functionally similar to regular Chromium.[7][8][…]
Features
Features

Disabling functionality that requires Google domains, including Google Safe Browsing.[9]
Replacing Google web domains in the Chromium source code with non-existent web domains and blocking internal requests to those domains.[9]
Removing binary blobs from the Chromium source code and replacing them with custom alternatives.[9]

The browser also adds smaller non-essential features such as flags protecting against fingerprinting and borrows features from other projects such as Debian. Some Chromium features do not work on ungoogled-chromium, a notable one being installing extensions directly from the Chrome Web Store.
Cheers!
Yours Rava