The very special Porteus forum cooking and baking thread

Non release banter
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#1 by Rava » 10 Jan 2021, 21:59

We all know Porteus being a very special OS - easily tweaked into ones very special needs or preferences.

Since today a similar cooking situation occurred than did some weeks ago - both on a Sunday - I want to share them here.

The purpose of this thread shall be about specific reasons why you had to spontaneously improvise cooking and / or baking wise, and share the impromptu success.

Hopefully the two examples are clear enough so that you get what I mean.

I had fresh pasta (to be kept cooled) and fresh white button mushrooms (German: Champignons) set aside for today's Sunday's dinner.
Now since I planned for that dinner till yesterday I would have had the chance to think of the desired sauce, but Alas! Silly me did not. Since I happen to live in beautiful but notorious conservative Bavaria, no shops open in my small town and any around it in a 25 km radius. Only when getting the pasta and mushrooms out of the cold, I realized a single cream and pepper sauce is what I desired for the dish - only to have no single cream (German: Sahne)
What to do? I looked through my cooler and found curd cheese and cottage cheese - and choose to use half of both as impromptu single cream replacement.
Fried the mushrooms, added pepper, salt and finally the curd cheese and cottage cheese, heated it up gently and after checking the taste added the hot boiled pasta.
To my delight curd cheese and cottage cheese together with good amount of pepper and a bit of salt make for a very good single cream replacement. :)

The other need for culinary impromptu was also on a Sunday and because of closed shops. (See a pattern?)
Since I happen to have two times only used a small part of fresh yeast - and after some too many weeks in the cooler the larger rest of the fresh yeast went bad, and all that in times of 2020 when yeast - fresh or dried - was very hard to come by due to Covid19 panic buying.

So spontaneously on a late December Sunday I decided to make a classic Italian style vegetable pizza to put the 2nd half of the fresh yeast to good use.

Made the pizza dough, choose the vegetables, heated the oven, spread the pizza dough on the baking tray… only then I realized in my spontaneous decision to make pizza - I had no pizza cheese, only aged and too-good-for-pizza alpine cheese / cave ripened cheese.

What to use instead? I also had no instant mashed potatoes which can be used as cheese substitute for au gratin…

So I looked what else I had available that could be used as impromptu au gratin, and found several very ripe bananas.
Ravas thought pattern was like " very ripe bananas … sure are similar when heated to melted cheese or mashed potatoes… and when choosing only vegetables that would not clash with bananas, my first impromptu attempt at a vegan pizza might even be a success. "
And so I choose mainly orange and red sweet pepper, but also cauliflower, and spread the ripe bananas over everything, adding good amount of chilli and a bit pepper, while the base was classic tomato sauce.

And what can I say: the impromptu vegan pizza was yum yum! / yummie. :celebrate3:
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 11 Jan 2021, 00:04

:o I do wish we lived closer. :thumbup:
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#3 by francois » 11 Jan 2021, 02:44

Nice intervention Ed. You are on the verge of becoming a good behaviorist (positive reinforcement). B)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

evergreen
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus x86_64

Post#4 by evergreen » 11 Jan 2021, 14:06

Since the pandemic started I have learned to cook better and I started to have a particular interest to explorer new tastes even I did pizza with mozzarella mixing walnuts and rucula on the top.
@rava Is nice to read your comments : )
AMD A8-7410, APU AMD Radeon R5 Graphics M330

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Rava » 11 Jan 2021, 20:25

evergreen wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 14:06
Since the pandemic started I have learned to cook better and I started to have a particular interest to explorer new tastes even
I think that mental health and absence of depression and/or negative thoughts became suddenly a matter to most of us during the covid19 restrictions - and not just the few who had already trouble with such matters.
We as social beings getting told for 9+ months continuously that any human - be it our BFF or closest relative - is an imminent potential dangerous health risk. And we to them.

Brainwashing much?

As so often in the western countries the outer bodily health gets taken care of - while the inner mental health of all of us is treated as of no concern. :crazy:

To get back on topic: not being able to eat at ones preferred diner or restaurant rises the need to up ones culinary skills.

Like with every crisis: one can bemoan the annoying aspects, or one can be happy because the crisis happens to give us new insight or the chance to learn new skills.
Image Image Image
Cheers!
Yours Rava

evergreen
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus x86_64

Post#6 by evergreen » 11 Jan 2021, 22:16

Rava wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 20:25
As so often in the western countries the outer bodily health gets taken care of - while the inner mental health of all of us is treated as of no concern. :crazy:
Indeed we are learning because the environment and what with considered normal in the past is changing suddenly with this new experience.

Is like some one ephimeral wants the control now

I choose to take advantage and learn new skills to living well with this caos to keep going forward so ass you wrote I can see the positiveness on you for consider to concern about mental health and cook nice food is the best.. : )

:celebrate14:
AMD A8-7410, APU AMD Radeon R5 Graphics M330

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Rava » 07 Feb 2021, 16:42

Today I made another inspirational spontaneous dish that resulted in yummy.

I had fresh curcuma roots (as in the ground spice) and added white cabbage, green mild pepper and red hot pepper (only a bit since that one had seeds and the seeds are the ones that make them very hot)
Since I was too lazy for stir-fry, I put some cheese on top, had it in a small wok that you could put in the oven, heated the oven to 180°C and let it cook itself for 15 minutes.

To let it have a sauce I added spring water to it, also so that it would not burn, and as spices a bit of Worcester sauce and a good helping of Ketjab Manis, and together with the small amount of water and the red hot pepper it turned out perfect if I say so myself. Image
It had a distinct bitter taste due to the fresh curcuma, but I like bitter dishes. (When the bitter is due to ingredients not due to it went bad or was badly burned)

Of course I first added the vegetables, then the water, then the Worcester and Ketjab Manis sauces and last the grated cheese on top. :happy62:
Cheers!
Yours Rava