Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

PaleMoon browser only for 64 bit…

Post#1 by Rava » 19 Dec 2020, 00:26

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
Download Pale Moon for Linux
Latest release: 28.17.0
[…]
NOTE: Linux 32 bit binaries have been discontined. However, your distribution (or one of the fantastic package contributors) may still offer 32 bit packages at their discression. If they do you should remove the "generic" binary and install said package. Otherwise, to continue using the Pale Moon binaries we distribute, please update to a 64 bit distribution.
(highlighting by me)

Wow… Up to just now I had no idea that a only-capable of 32 bit system like my Samsung Q40 sub-notebook… is in reality able to run a 64 bit OS, just because the developers of linux.palemoon.org say so. </irony>

Seriously, what are the folks at linux.palemoon.org thinking?

Since when would a 64 bit Linux run on any 32-bit-only capable system?

Please update to a 64 bit distribution Yeah, as if that could ever work on a 32 bit only system. :P =@
Cheers!
Yours Rava

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Post#2 by roadie » 19 Dec 2020, 01:45

This was the main reason I went with 64bit when my last 32 bit died. I could easily have found good, used 32 bit machines for cheap, but the trend is heading toward 64 bit only and pretty quickly........I notice that even Porteus-5.0-rc2 is available only in 64 bit, as was 5.0-rc1. I'm not sure what distro's are available in 32 bit now, I suspect very few.

It sucks, but it is what it is......apparently it's called "progress".

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#3 by Rava » 19 Dec 2020, 02:08

roadie wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 01:45
This was the main reason I went with 64bit when my last 32 bit died. I could easily have found good, used 32 bit machines for cheap, but the trend is heading toward 64 bit only and pretty quickly........I notice that even Porteus-5.0-rc2 is available only in 64 bit, as was 5.0-rc1. I'm not sure what distro's are available in 32 bit now, I suspect very few.
I may not be up to date 100% with the Porteus-5.0 development, but at least up until some months ago it was always the plan of delivering finale versions of Porteus-5.0 in both 32 and 64 bit.
It is only for the development and testing phase it was decided to only have a 64-bit Porteus-5.0 alpha, beta, rc1, rc2…

If I am wrong on that, a developer please may correct me.

roadie wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 01:45
It sucks, but it is what it is......apparently it's called "progress".
I think there will always be 32 bit Puppy linux..
Or DSL aka Damn small Linux.
Seems Knoppix as well. Excerpt of its readme about the newest version 8.6.1

http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix861-en.html
Both 32bit and 64bit kernel supporting both old and new computers, the 64bit version also supporting systems with more than 4GB of RAM and chroot to 64-bit installations for system rescue tasks. The bootloader will start the 64bit kernel automatically if a 64bit-capable CPU is detected (if not manually specified otherwise).
Meaning there is only one DVD ISO supporting both 32 and 64 bit. That's Knoppix for you. Image

Also these parts sound interesting:
With the new Hybrid layout of the ISO file, the file can be copied directly to USB flash disk, either using standard Linux tools like dd or cp, or programs like → Win32 Etcher. In this case, the first partition is read-only because of the iso9660 file system. Because of that, boot options cannot be changed permanently in this layout.
Example:
dd if=KNOPPIX_V8.6.1-2019-10-14EN.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

A better way of installing, is using → flash-knoppix, which will create the simpler and writable layout with one FAT32 and one Linux partition on USB flash pen. Optionally, a personal remastering can be chosen in version 8.6.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Post#4 by roadie » 19 Dec 2020, 03:49

I think that 32 bit will probably be offered when 5.0 goes final, but there are a lot of users unable to offer input on it simply because 32 bit versions aren't available. That's not a criticism of the developers in any way, I imagine just keeping the 64 bit version desktops up to standard is more than enough work. Which also means that if a 32 bit is offered, someone has to maintain the thing, with all those desktops.

As for other distro's in 32 bit, I should say that there are few that interest me, the notable exception being Void linux with their i686 version. I just can't get serious about Puppy linux, I've tried, really I have. There's just way too much puppy this and puppy that......everything is centered around puppies. The original developer is to be praised for the work he has done, as are the followers who turn out some impressive stuff......it's just not for me.

Likewise, Knoppix, DSL, (DSL still lives?). They're both based on Debian, and Debian and I had it out many years ago when apt decided it wasn't going to do what I wanted it to do. I find Void to be very impressive, I think XBPS is a far superior package manager to apt.

But I fully expect most distro's to drop 32 bit support, most major ones already have, and of course software developers will follow suit. It's great that distros such as Puppy and others still offer it, but I wonder for how long. All machines eventually die and the parts supply will dry up as they do, then there's no choice but 64 bit.

But, certainly kudos to the ones still offering a 32 bit version, I just wish I could get past all the lil puppies and antagonistic package managers.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 11 Feb 2021, 05:45

palemoon is now available as a gtk3 build, and i've set the update script to use that .. (so will work with stock 5.0rc2 with adding gtk2)
a gtk2 build is still available, so if anyone specifically wants/needs that, i could conceivably add an option for that in the script( otherwise you get can the tarball yourself, put it in /tmp and the script will use that)
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44