Hysteria: COVID-19 for everybody.

Non release banter
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#1 by francois » 14 Mar 2020, 00:59

This is the place to ventilate, but not too hard, about COVID-19. How is is going in your viccinity, city or country? What do you think about it?

I wonder what beny has to say about it. Beny are you from the north of Italy? Neko, how is it in Japan? Blaze, how are you doing in Russia? What about you Ed, and you jack, is president Trump handling the COVID-19 or is he making worse? How about Brazil and you our beloved brokenman? And you fanthom, it seems not funny in England?
Last edited by Rava on 14 Mar 2020, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (typo in title)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Histeria: COVID-19 for everybody.

Post#2 by Ed_P » 14 Mar 2020, 05:16

Yeah we have some cases confirmed where I live is western New York. It is absolutely amazing how quickly this weaponize virus has spread. And because of that I think it is spread by more than just people to people contact. I think people who have it in early stages are touching things that hold the virus for days and then other people touch the same things and get infected and they in turn touch things and the cycle continues.

Things that get touched: gas pump handles, mail, packages, store merchandise, etc. Touched by users, shippers, loaders, unloaders, etc. It has to be something like that to have spread so quickly and so far. And until the way it is spreading is identified it will continue to spread.

The effects here are bare shelves in stores for toilet paper, hand sanitizer, tissues, certain food items and etc. Amazing impact.
Ed

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 14 Mar 2020, 08:07

@francois
I'm actually in Poland and our government is doing well to be honest. Only 60 people infected at the moment.

They just closed the schools and even the border so traveling in and outside of the country is not possible. I heard they may be even cutting traveling between the cities but that would be difficult to handle unless they put an army on the roads.
Things will impact the economy of course but it may be better to shut down the whole country for a few weeks then let the virus spread over and do more damage in the long run.

I'm fairly positive that the threat will be over soon (at least in Poland).
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#4 by Blaze » 14 Mar 2020, 08:22

At this moment there are 45 patients with COVID-19 in Russia.
In my little forgotten city brought 19 people who were in contact with people with COVID-19.
For them allocated a maternity hospital as an observer. Maternity hospital in my city closed.
As it became known, these people were in contact with COVID-19 people vacationing in Italy.
My parcels from China placed on my balcony for two months now.
Waiting for the summer and the heat. Then I will open they and process the septic tank.
All schools and educational institutions are quarantined.
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

AcnapyxoB
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus 5.01

Post#5 by AcnapyxoB » 14 Mar 2020, 15:31

In Bulgaria from yesterday (13th of march), there is a state of emergency for one month. Works only grocery stores, pharmacies and gas stations. Schools and universities are also closed. I think this is the right preventative solution.
But despite its limitations, life is normal.
Last edited by AcnapyxoB on 03 Apr 2020, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
Porteus v5.01 KDE x86_64

M. Eerie
Distribution: Nemesis Xfce/MATE x64

Post#6 by M. Eerie » 14 Mar 2020, 18:34

Sadly, in Spain is rapidly spreading. Something similar to what happened in Italy.

Almost half of the cases detected have been in Madrid.

Yesterday there were 5100 infections, and president says we would face 10000+ next week. As such, an "state of alarm" was declared, and it was supposed that people should stay confined in their houses. However, a lot of madrileños, went out for the weekend as if they were on vacation towards other places in the country, before the stupor and indignation among many citizens due to the risk of contagion and the irresponsibility shown.

There's also signs of collective hysteria, which leads many to collect food as if we were in a situation of war or cataclysm.

Anyway, we have to be confident, given that only 8 new cases were detected in China yesterday. If not, maybe a well targeted meteorite would help.

Cheers!
> Does not compute_ 🖖

https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?p=94310#p94310
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?p=84002#p84002
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?p=77174#p77174
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8584

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#7 by Rava » 14 Mar 2020, 19:59

I can see all kinds of weird behaviour.
Germans tend to buy toilet paper and pasta, what a weird combination.

On the other hand, especially the younger generations seem unable to handle the situation, they are too much used to a high level of personal freedom. Where should they have gotten a better sense of behaviour (they have been told for decades to just be consumers) than they do show now when all of a sudden it becomes critical to more than the individual, but to lots of people worldwide and to the global economy as well?

After they finally declared to shut down all schools and kindergardens and such, I had to go to the next nearest large city on Friday evening… And saw some older school kids (probably 16+ years of age) going out to obviously party - e.g. meet many people. Yay, what a "clever" idea in the age of CoVid19. :wall:

Seems, too many people are for now not able to cope, to realize that not only their own health and lives are at stake depending on personal hygiene and behaviour, but lives and healths of many others as well.
I just hope people realize in some few days that they need to change their behaviour. Or else Germany must be shut down and areas cordoned off like they did in Italy.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by francois » 15 Mar 2020, 00:37

As there is no known vaccine, the prime minister of Québec sait on the radio waves that they estimate that about 60 to 70% of the people will be infected.

Trying to understand what is going on, it seems that mostly elderly are dying from the disease, but not all of them. Roughly the estimate is that it kills about 1% of the infected people. Though reported cases with symptoms to decease from disease is a ration of 100:1. The explanation is that reported cases are underestimated.

Curiously babies and youger persons are almost immune to the disease. They could even have the disease without signs. People really at risk are people over 65:
https://sante.journaldesfemmes.fr/malad ... es-france/

It seems that if you do not have florid symptoms, you will not infect others. The symptoms are flux like: coughing plus fever. Fifteen days of voluntary isolation is requested if you have these symptoms.

Has anyone have more precision on the disease than what I mention? In peculiar, I would be interested by the prevalence of deceased over reported cases for each group of age (every 5 or 10 years)?

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by francois » 15 Mar 2020, 02:45

Best info on the net about Corina virus:
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Search article formation:
rate by age-group
and
rate preexisting conditions

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by Ed_P » 15 Mar 2020, 04:15

I thought this was a good read.

What does the coronavirus do to your body?
Ed

M. Eerie
Distribution: Nemesis Xfce/MATE x64

Post#11 by M. Eerie » 15 Mar 2020, 13:24

@françois
francois wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 00:37
The explanation is that reported cases are underestimated
That's the key question. In fact, the virus is not as deadly as the flu, but seems it spreads much faster.

Also the figures do not reflect reality because the tests are expensive and therefore the total impact is underdiagnosed. And this is crucial because it would prevent the collapse of the health system.

Cheers!
> Does not compute_ 🖖

https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?p=94310#p94310
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?p=84002#p84002
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?p=77174#p77174
https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8584

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#12 by Ed_P » 15 Mar 2020, 15:58

Schools are now closed in our area after a woman who works at one of them came down with the virus. She had not been out of the country or been with anyone who had.

Bars and restaurants are being asked to close.

Absolutely positively amazing how fast and far this thing has spread. It's almost like it was sprayed from a plane.
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by francois » 15 Mar 2020, 22:41

What type of mask will you use? Does a mask for dust makers the job?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#14 by Ed_P » 15 Mar 2020, 23:48

"makers"??

I don't wear a mask. I basically don't have crowds to deal with.
Ed

chromer
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: APorteus Cinnamon 64bit

Post#15 by chromer » 16 Mar 2020, 17:41

I am in Turkey , about 20 peoples are infected , my parents are in Iran , and there is everything disaster.
over 20 thousands are infected , over 2 thousands died , and government are unable to do anything , no city on quarantine , no help for ordinary people , government just dig cemetery , and spend monies on it's backed militia in Iraq or Lebanon.
Schools and Universities are closed there but that lead people to journey in country !!!
Everything is really bad there , all because incompetent authorities , just God help them.