Non release banter
lorenaustin
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: fb

Some storytelling

Post#1 by lorenaustin » 11 Mar 2020, 07:27

Hi,

I just registered here. Last weekend I found about Porteus, the afterlife of Slax. I'v heared about the previous name Slax Remix, but didn't follow the discussion.

Anyway, I'm a Slax user since about 5 years. I'm using it for my home server, came across it in search for a distro that runs from a CF card, or in my case a DOM, and normally won't write to it, to save wear.
I made a number of modules for Slax, the bigger ones being Squeezebox+Twonky Server. Meanwhile there's a lot of stuff, the details and dependencies would make it hard to migrate to something else. All was running well through the years, no need to change.

The purchase of a 3TB data disk pressed me to do some updating, since I needed GPT support. I made a kernel update following fanthom's instructions (many thanks!)

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Some storytelling

Post#2 by francois » 13 Mar 2020, 20:34

We need software, just drop in. People will be happy to work with you or to use your work. There is porteus kiosk, but there is porteus, two different distributions forks based respectively on gentoo and slackware. There is also nemesis based on archlinux.

Welcome to porteus forum! :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.