Does irony translate well into email or forum posts?

Non release banter
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#1 by Rava » 26 Mar 2019, 06:38

I say it does not.

This thread was mainly created to move posts that got more and more off-topic since they only discussed irony in itself out of the tutorial thread. I told Ed_P to continue the irony-only discussion elsewhere but like so often just ignored that and kept on off-topic-replying in a technical thread.

The first moved post is below the divider line "____" just after this sentence, all other posts are moved by themselves.
25 Mar 2019, 23:38
Oh, I don't know Rava. :unknown: I heard someone say it wouldn't support their renamed XXXblacklist.xzm file. I think they read the manual.
Well it was definitely not the author of the script himself. And that is the one who matters the most script-wise. :D :celebrate3:

And if you refer to me saying the non altered version does not support XXXblacklist.xzm, well, duh, I definitely know how to tweak the script to get it doing what I want it doing. I am also a script writer and wont let a script written in a language I speak and write keep me from letting the script do for me wstart another thread somewhere elsehat I want it done.

Like the tweaking of the simple weather indicator to give me the date string not with this silly am/pm crap but with 24hrs format. A certain someone :shifty: you even might know pointed me to the code part that does the date info.

But this very discussion is not really relevant to the topic on hand, so please: MOVE IT TO PM if you want it continued or start another thread somewhere else and write me a PM about the URL.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

[HOWTO] make a xzm module driver for NVIDIA video card

Post#2 by Ed_P » 26 Mar 2019, 15:16

Wow! You are so touchy! :) I was kidding. A little humor once in a while isn't a bad thing. :beer:
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Rava » 26 Mar 2019, 15:39

Ed_P wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 15:16
Wow! You are so touchy! :) I was kidding. A little humor once in a while isn't a bad thing. :beer:
Did someone ever tell you that that irony and such translates very badly through the internet? Because most netizens do know that.

The only way to be sure irony is understood is adding *jk* or jk… (short for *just kidding*)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Ed_P » 27 Mar 2019, 03:43

I understand Rava. Not all seniors understand emoticons/smilies. :)
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Rava » 27 Mar 2019, 05:55

Ed_P wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 03:43
https://www.lifewire.com/fundamental-em ... te-1171187
The article is mainly about email but some parts are as valid as points for forum posts as well. Lets see if others tend to agree to my point about irony and sarcasm not translating well, or would agree more to what you try to say.
Be Careful With Irony in Emails

No, really! I mean it. Honestly!

A medium that offers little context such as email is not suited well to irony and sarcasm, even if you know the recipient.
And I agree, and it is not only true for emails but same goes for forum posts…

You cannot argue that using the very same emoticon you used is always translating with 100% reliability to the use of irony or sarcasm, now, can you.

And as usual, you just ignore a suggestion I made that is superiour to your ambiguous and non-distinctive attempt, by using *jk*. What is wrong with using the unequivocal use of *jk* to mark irony?

But as you wrote
Ed_P wrote:
Not all seniors understand emoticons/smilies. :)
You seemingly try so hard to be one of the young hip kids on the block and not one of the boring seniors, obviously, that you even ignore all solutions that are better suited to the matter at hand but that are, in you mind, less kuhl ("cool") than your I-first-and-foremost-need-to-be-cool-and-hip-and-not-senior-looking attempt.
Ed_P wrote:
And by your own logic, the whole reply of yours as quoted above is also irony. Then please do explain the irony in that reply, since it must be irony, you know, by your "understanding emoticons/smilies" approach, even when emoticons are always ambiguous and non-distinctive, unlike my unequivocal use of *jk*. That you ignore and not even mention once in your reply.

Maybe hazy and vague is your thing and you detest precise and practical. That alone explains your illogic impractical reasoning.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Ed_P » 27 Mar 2019, 06:46

Well Rava in the thousands of emails I have sent or received and the thousands of forum posts I have read or posted in the past 20 yrs I don't ever recall seeing "jk" used. Sorry just the worlds we live in is different. A happy face :) and :-) is more universal in my world. And forums are different than emails. Here if you don't understand a smilie you can put your cursor over the icon in the Smilies window and read the word that shows up. Emails don't have that option.

One thing that may explain the difference between what you see and what I see, I'm always on a pc, you are more frequently on a small screen cell phone. Maybe the cell phone doesn't display webpage images.

Thanks. (#21) :D
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Rava » 27 Mar 2019, 06:53

Like usual you ignored crucial parts, like this:
Rava wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 05:55
Ed_P wrote:
And by your own logic, the whole reply of yours as quoted above is also irony. Then please do explain the irony in that reply, since it must be irony, you know, by your "understanding emoticons/smilies" approach, even when emoticons are always ambiguous and non-distinctive
Please do explain the irony in "I understand Rava. Not all seniors understand emoticons/smilies." By your logic it was irony since you used your self defined irony emoticon.

You never ever heard of the phrase jk?
Then sure urbandictionary wont know it either if Saint Ed_P (*jk*) doesn't know it.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jk

Oh wait, urbandictionary knows it. Seems your 20 years experience online is for the recycling bin, then, obviously. (*jk*)

Also, this quote from https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jk
applies here as well:
Seriously, if you don’t know what JK means, you should go jump off a cliff.
Please do. *jk*
Cheers!
Yours Rava

neko
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: APorteus-FVWM-ja-x86_64.iso

Post#8 by neko » 27 Mar 2019, 07:53

JK means a "high school girl" in Japanese network.
A "high school girl" is pronounced as "Joshi Kousei" in Japanese.

A communication with none-native language is very difficult for me.
Therefore I read/write only technical matter on this forum.
If I could read/write more emotional matter, it would be good (or none-good) for my life ?
Ignorance is happy.

Thanks.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Rava » 27 Mar 2019, 08:18

neko wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 07:53
A "high school girl" is pronounced as "Joshi Kousei" in Japanese.
That`s the issue with abbreviations: usually there exists more than one meaning behind a certain one.
neko wrote:
If I could read/write more emotional matter, it would be good (or none-good) for my life ?
Ignorance is happy.
That`s a 100 Million yen question indeed.

At times it is better being able to read emotional matters cause you are able to dodge embarrassing moments. Embarrassing for you. Or the other party. Or even for all.

Then there are situations where you would miss stuff that is way into TMI (too much information) area, or just into nasty or unpleasant area, and missing on that would be a good thing. In my book. :D
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by Ed_P » 27 Mar 2019, 13:53

neko wrote:
Thank you neko. :good:
Rava wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 08:18
That`s the issue with abbreviations: usually there exists more than one meaning behind a certain one.
Yup. And thank you for acknowledging that. Sometimes people refer to 13 yr old webpages to see what an abbreviation use to mean. Smilies/drawings are easier to understand (for most people) and have been for a LONG time. :happy62: See. https://www.gocomics.com/rubes/2019/03/24 :lol:
Last edited by Ed_P on 27 Mar 2019, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added an link. LOL
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by Rava » 27 Mar 2019, 16:40

^
You still refuse to explain the irony in the reply by yours that use your oh so beloved irony indicator, the smiley. So stop fooling around and start finally explaining it.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#12 by Ed_P » 27 Mar 2019, 17:58

The "irony" icon that you refer to shows up on my systems as "Big Smile". :happy62: Would :lol: be clearer to you? :celebrate3:

Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by Rava » 27 Mar 2019, 19:08

Ed_P wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 17:58
The "irony" icon that you refer to shows up on my systems as "Big Smile". :happy62: Would :lol: be clearer to you? :celebrate3:
Only an icon that has "irony" in the pop up text would be clear. So, which one does have that description?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#14 by Ed_P » 27 Mar 2019, 20:30

None that I'm aware of and none that I have used that I am aware of so what's this point you've been harping on based on? :unknown:
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#15 by Rava » 27 Mar 2019, 20:52

Ed_P wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 20:30
None that I'm aware of and none that I have used that I am aware of so what's this point you've been harping on based on? :unknown:
You claim ambiguous and non-distinctive emotes are better than explicit and distinctive descriptive text like "just kidding" or "JK" for short, yet you are unable to present even one emote that only translates into "this sentence was in jest / this sentence used irony or this sentence used sarcasm".

But like always, you harp on and on about the theoretical failure of my approach marking a humorous remark by using distinctive descriptive text while ignoring the elephant in a room full of porcelain that is your ambiguous and non-distinctive approach.
Cheers!
Yours Rava