Running Linux on Android !!

Non release banter
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#1 by Ed_P » 03 Feb 2019, 04:04

Using UserLAnd and ConnectBot apps. Both are available on the Google Play Store and also FDroid (open source app store). Basically you just install the 2 apps, run UserLAnd and choose the distro or app that you want to run, choose ssh, set a user pasword and that's it.

https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-t ... t-0189649/

Anyone try this?
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Re: Running Linux on Android !!

Post#2 by Rava » 04 Feb 2019, 22:44

Ed_P wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 04:04
Using UserLAnd and ConnectBot apps. Both are available on the Google Play Store and also FDroid (open source app store). Basically you just install the 2 apps, run UserLAnd and choose the distro or app that you want to run, choose ssh, set a user pasword and that's it.

https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-t ... t-0189649/

Anyone try this?
Not tried it, but that means, the standard Android with all its apps is still running, plus the UserLAnd and the Linux distro is running as well?
Cause that seems to be the only way doing it without rooting the Android smartphone or tablet. That sounds like a very veeery slow experience.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#3 by Ed_P » 05 Feb 2019, 00:00

Same as running a VirtualBox on Porteus.
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#4 by Rava » 05 Feb 2019, 00:48

Ed_P wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 00:00
Same as running a VirtualBox on Porteus.
Not really, with Porteus it depends on you which software is already running, with a preinstalled Android, there are often dozens of less necessary programs installed that hog space on the internal or external card. and use resources even when the user not wants these programs to be installed at all. Just try to remove any and you get a warning that "system stability can be in danger" or similar warning [I do not recall the actual wording, and I am too tired to go fetch the android thingy to try deleting e.g. Google earth or Chrome].

Like I have issues with lots of google apps I never would have installed, but that are part of the preinstalled Android and are running even when I never explicitly started any of these.

So, no: comparing a started preinstalled Android with a started Porteus when both are running virtual box is not the same, since Android gives the user less control over the software installed, and the software running, than Porteus does.

In Porteus, you could kill or killall all unneeded programs, and even deactivate all unneeded modules for the time being prior starting VirtualBox Image, while you could not just do so on any Android. Image
Cheers!
Yours Rava

susanjohn1
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: nothing

Post#5 by susanjohn1 » 27 Feb 2019, 13:24

Yeah, an app that isn’t available on Android. But in most cases, you’ll simply want to gain access to some of the desktop environment. Currently, Android devices have ideal hardware for a PC-like experience, and installing Linux is a great way to enable this. When I faced some issues regarding IP blocking while using Linux platform then I, used FastestVPN for security and reliability....

joe nar quo
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus mate

Post#6 by joe nar quo » 22 Oct 2019, 12:55

It looks like a good things if can run an android apps in Porteus (not a Linux in Android), I searched at google and found flatpak and snapd which I dont understand how to use it. Have somebody try it? It must be good if I can run android games or a silly android apps and then uninstall it.