VR use for psychological disorders, not only height phobia

Non release banter
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#1 by francois » 31 Dec 2018, 16:52

There has been a important progress in the development of VR (virtual reality) aimed towards the treatment of psychological disorders since the 1990's. According to the reseach on the field, different difficulties have been treated effeCtively with this approach, namely: height phobia, elevator phobia, spider phobia, small animals phobias (rats, dog, cats, ... ). Interestingly, more complicated problematics seem also to respond to the VR treatment: social phobia, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD, sexual assault victims, veterans back from war), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and even schizophrenia.

**references to come**

Some very specific interventions targeted to special populations, also support the arrival of VR as a treament of choice. For example, though the programs to help policemen to identify autistic individuals have failed to help them in their daily work to recogize autistic persons, a VR program enabling autistic persons to identify policemen and behave appropriately has proven to be quite helpful.

OCULUS RIFT AND HTC VIVE.
Whereas up to now the equipment was too costly for the layman, it can be said that 2018 has seen this access possible for persons other than the funded researcher. A laptop driven with a sufficient graphic card, a GeForce GTX 1060 3GB for example, to be able to support an Oculus rift or an HTC vive, will permit the use of VR environments.

The problem to overcome is to have a setup that will prevent the lagging of images which is source of cyber sickness, and this is exactly where we are now. Though cyber sickness could be an issue on these more recent for certain persons, gradual use for short period of time of VR (under 20 minutes) should provide habituation or a better tolerance to the device.

The virtual environments to treat psychological disorders have been created on different type of platforms. Pioneer research used already built environments developped by the gaming industries, and thus just added the necessary stimulus (spider, small animals, height ...) in these already built environments. As VR became more popular and the access to VR development software akin, the reseacher built on these environments. Presently, Unity 3D is a platform that seems quite popular amongst developpers of VR environments for psychological disorders. It is available for linux.

***references***

Could you run the Unity 3D platform for windows on linux? Locically yes, but the answer is no for the Oculus rift, who is known to have abandoned the linux platform. Fortunately, the HTC VIVE would be linux compatible thru a platform called Steam VR.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/d ... ulus-linux
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ktop-Quirk

STEAM VR, OpenVR, Valve
OpenVR
Valve Corporation
https://xinreality.com/wiki/SteamVR

CELL PHONES WITH GIROSCOPE AND HEADSET AND VR DEVICES WITHOUT CABLE

Another way to have access to VR treatment for psychological difficulties is the use of a cell phone equipped with a gyroscope and an appropriate headset: google cardboard, VR headset adapted for phones (*** examples to be provided***), samsung gear and google dreamview. An evolution of these more simple, but less performing devices has been reached. Recently, devices combining the display of the more performing cell phones integrated to a headset has hit the road: Oculus go, and other devices are to come.
*** to be continued***

These devices though suitable, are not able to perform in term of processing and quality of image as much as a computer and Oculus go or HTC Vive combination. In addition, the treatment software available are less numerous.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#2 by francois » 30 Jan 2020, 01:54

Any knowledge or experience with software or hardware mentioned in this first post would be appreciated.

Thanks. :)

joejac
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.1

Post#3 by joejac » 15 Feb 2020, 18:15

In my humble opinion, electronics and VR can cause more troubles. I think that a correct nutrition, very difficult nowadays, and an a Doctor expert in New German Medicine, also difficult to find, can help to relief some underlying traumas (pain) and conflicts (mental pain) causing some psychological disorders. There is also a very powerful recall therapy, that erases the pain of the memories of the life of the person, improving memory and general health but it is heavily attacked since it affects the interests of the powerful pharmaceutical industry.
Regards
joejac

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by francois » 06 Mar 2020, 15:23

What do you mean that electronics and VR can cause more troubles. May you develop. Your experience or that of some of your friends might be helpful.

Do you know Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Exposure (in vivo or in imago) or formerly systematic desensitization is still the best approach to treating fears, including trauma according to scientific reviews (psychological and psychiatric psychotherapy articles, see medline NCBI). For sure EMDR is also doing a very good job, EMDR could be viewed as in imago or desensitization thru the use of imagery strategies.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#5 by Rava » 22 Mar 2020, 19:44

joejac wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 18:15
a Doctor expert in New German Medicine, also difficult to find,
I presume you refer to this:
https://www.learninggnm.com/
https://www.totalhealthinstitute.com/ge ... -medicine/
Ryke Geerd Hamer

Wikipedia is known to be quite against alternative medicine, and often they ignore arguments that proof why a alternative medicine is working as it says it is.
So, when they claim
[A] system of pseudo-medicine that purports to be able to cure cancer. The Swiss Cancer League described Hamer's approach as "dangerous, especially as it lulls the patients into a false sense of security, so that they are deprived of other effective treatments."
it could be pseudo-medicine, or it could be a valid alternative medicine. It is one of the issues with wikipedia.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

joejac
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.1

Post#6 by joejac » 06 Jun 2020, 13:57

Hello Francois, if someone gets goods results with some technique, is fine, go with that. I personally prefer simple and powerful techniques, usually what the mainstream Medicine controlled by the greed interest pharmaceutical Corporations pejoratively call "alternative therapies or medicine". These corporations sent Dr. Hamer to jail when he began to recover cancer patients without the nefarious cancer protocols imposed by the Corporations. I know what I am talking about, I was Tomography Service Engineer, and I had several relatives that had a miserable death under the hands of the so called the "Science" of Medicine. For me the true Medicine is the Natural one not the commercial one. Thanks Rava for the links, I use Spanish GNM websites that are excellent, Hamer visited Spain and trained very good doctors there, I also use thalassotherapy, very difficult to do now that we are jailed in our homes here. By the way, not all alternative medicine works. This is my humble opinion based on my long experience, I do not want to enter into an sterile debate, each one is responsible for his/her own health and is free to choose with whom to subcontract his/her health.
Best regards, and sorry for my late response, I do not monitor this forum. I am trying to survive this present Roman Circus caused, precisely, by the greedy Commercial Medicine headed by Bill Gates = :vampire: the vaccination of 7 Billion people is a huge business in deed, way much better than selling corona-windows.
joejac

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by francois » 10 Jun 2020, 00:03

I would not write that alternative medicine is all crap. Alternative medicine could be proved to be efficatious. A lot of the actual pharmacotherapy is based on medicinal plant knowledge, and the pharmacological industry is looking for these molecules.

As you are an engineer, I was a biologist formerly, and now for 30 years a certified psychologist. I am very happy when a consulting person wants to try it with psychotherapy instead of relying on psychotropic drugs. This means that there is some motivation. Changes in biochemestry will not always do the difference, though it might help. Antidepressant for example provide additional energy. It will not change completely the way you think or the way you relate with others or communicate, negotiate.

Under alternative treatments, there are some disputable treatments. And some researchers could be dishonest when they declare their results. Methodology is not always sound. An example of the former is filipinos healers or brazilian healers` pretended treatments for cancer, and of the latter the statement that vaccines is the cause of autism. I would be glad to debate and document these two cases.

And natural or organic or biological products are not automatically good for health. Amanita phalloides a mushroom is natural, organic or biological, as it grows in the forest. Eat some, I am sure that within a few days you will not even be able to talk about it. A very contemporaneous topic and hot debate is about the utility of hydroxichloroquine for COVID (The lancet).

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#8 by Rava » 01 Nov 2020, 00:26

francois wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 00:03
And natural or organic or biological products are not automatically good for health. Amanita phalloides a mushroom is natural, organic or biological, as it grows in the forest. Eat some, I am sure that within a few days you will not even be able to talk about it. A very contemporaneous topic and hot debate is about the utility of hydroxichloroquine for COVID (The lancet).
Thanks for the info.
Some really suggest using Amanita phalloides?
Just the few starting sentences of its wikipedia article lets me doubt the soundness of the minds of people giving such mushrooms to others:
Amanita phalloides
Amanita phalloides /æməˈnaɪtə fəˈlɔɪdiːz/, commonly known as the death cap, is a deadly poisonous basidiomycete fungus, one of many in the genus Amanita
Seriously, a mushroom called the death cap - nomen est omen.
for these interested the Amanita phalloides: Biochemistry part goes into the details of the toxins and biochemistry.

Amanita phalloides: Biochemistry
Hydroxychloroquine is a prescription drug used to treat many autoimmune disorders. It was first used to treat malaria. See what other conditions it treats and possible side effects.
Autoimuune disorders have zero connection to any virus. And malaria? Is caused by single-celled microorganisms called Plasmodium - neither a virus nor a bacteria.
Again, where is the proven connection to Corona-Chan?

Aside from the notion that some human vultures try to get rich by exploiting current suffering of many people.

Added in 7 minutes 59 seconds:
But to go back to the title of the thread, is there a way of using VR for improving psychological state, or just getting deep enjoyment out of that experience?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by francois » 01 Nov 2020, 18:47

Here is the production on VR for treating psychological disorder, but also other applications of VR, by one of our canadian and world most reknown researcher in the domain:
https://apps.uqo.ca/UQO.Recherche.Explo ... d_rap.aspx

Here are review articles on VR for people suffering from anxiety disorders:
https://www.elsevier.es/en-revista-revi ... 5012000301
schizophrenia:
https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/home/ ... psychosis/
psychiatric disorders in general:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6659125/