Buy a Laptop

Non release banter
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Buy a Laptop

Post#1 by Jack » 02 Apr 2016, 23:18

I want to buy a newer laptop then the one I have which is a Compaq CQ50-217nr (2008). What I want is a newer one and one that works out of the box.

What I like to have are.
1 64bit intel cpu
2 Good graphics support
3 4gb or more Ram
4 14 inch display (it could be larger)

So if anyone know or has a good model that fits my needs that I could buy please tell me. All I would need is the laptop brand and model # so I could look it up.

My laptop is on it's last leg. The display has a big bad spot, need a battery and 3 gb of ram.

EDIT:

I forgot about this link. viewtopic.php?f=61&t=3465 So if anyone has any more idea?
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

fullmoonremix

Re: Buy a Laptop

Post#2 by fullmoonremix » 03 Apr 2016, 04:31

Salutations... :good:

IMHO... I wouldn't go so far as to suggest a make and/or model.
However... I would recommend the underlying technology.
I would suggest avoiding an internal burner because if it fails... someone like me ... :oops:
(CompTIA A+) will charge you 3x the cost of YOU buying a new (external) one to replace it.

I would suggest AMD (NOT because their processor is superior... which it is for @ least the following reason)
because it's integrated "ATI" GPU (APU?) is second to none (except nVidia of course... which does NOT make integrated x86 products).

There used to be Intel/nVidia (slower... non-integrated) devices. However... Intel and nVidia aren't friends anymore.
Anyway... after that it's just all bells n' whistles (touch screen... backlit keys... batterylife... small footprint... etc.)

Best Regards... :beer:

Posted by 73.150.85.78 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 05 Apr 2016, 08:12, edited 2 times in total.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Jack » 05 Apr 2016, 00:14

I was going to buy a laptop but I'm thinking about this. Dell Optiplex 780 SFF Desktop Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz 4GB Ram 320GB HDD Windows 7. He is going to take out the 4gb memory and change the 320gb for a 500gb Hard drive. I going to install 8gb of ram when I get it. It said in the manual that it will run Ubuntu Linux so it should run Porteus Linux. Here is the link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-7 ... 1703830313
I know it not a laptop but it is a little newer.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

fullmoonremix

Post#4 by fullmoonremix » 05 Apr 2016, 08:26

Salutations... :good:

If you must use a box I recommend this (I'm using it to make this post)...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-EeeBox-PC- ... SwPc9Wu8Qe

WARNING: boot from burnable media ONLY instead of usb storage devices..
(writable storage media is a haven for malicious code...)

Use gparted to wipe the hdd/ssd... use ext4 w/ NO "boot" flag or
swap partitions... use copy2ram... noswap... ramsize=48% zram=12%.. "cheatcodes")

Best Regards... :beer:

Posted by 73.150.85.78 via http://webwarper.net
This is added while posting a message to avoid misusing the service
Last edited by fullmoonremix on 10 Apr 2016, 12:35, edited 5 times in total.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#5 by Bogomips » 05 Apr 2016, 18:42

@ Jack
If you agree I'll move this thread to General Chat, as it's not a question about Porteus from a Newbie.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Jack » 06 Apr 2016, 02:51

Bogomips wrote:@ Jack
If you agree I'll move this thread to General Chat, as it's not a question about Porteus from a Newbie.
Go for it but thanks for asking first that the way it should be.