Flash Emergency-update..once again

Non release banter
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Flash Emergency-update..once again

Post#31 by Ed_P » 26 Sep 2016, 18:57

Maybe a different user=agent string might help. Not on Porteus at the moment but try this:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0 SeaMonkey/2.40
This link might help: http://useragentstring.com/index.php
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#32 by Rava » 26 Sep 2016, 19:50

Ed_P wrote:Maybe a different user=agent string might help. Not on Porteus at the moment but try this:
The issue was another one, quite obvious know that I removed it and checked it with the same download:

header = Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
That tells the webpage my "browser" accepts gzipped pages, and so the web server gives me just this. When I leave that out, I get plain html. makes more sense when using wget anyway...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#33 by Ed_P » 26 Sep 2016, 20:58

Well happy to hear you found a solution to the problem. But the parms you had use to work then stopped working. The User Agent string you're using is for Windows XP, it is reasonable to suspect Adobe dropped support for XP systems rather than the Encoding options. It might be interesting to see what happens if you try the Windows 7 User Agent string. Not that you have to, rather just to see if it supports the Encoding options you had.

Anyway, happy you have a working solution. :)
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#34 by Rava » 26 Sep 2016, 21:44

Ed_P wrote:Well happy to hear you found a solution to the problem. But the parms you had use to work then stopped working. The User Agent string you're using is for Windows XP, it is reasonable to suspect Adobe dropped support for XP systems rather than the Encoding options. It might be interesting to see what happens if you try the Windows 7 User Agent string. Not that you have to, rather just to see if it supports the Encoding options you had.
Your reply gave me one idea: Nowadays it is well known that XP is outdated and seen as insecure. Now, when I would download from a rogue or cracked webserver, the cracker could be very interested in hacking my IP thinking there is a vulnerable system at work...

I have to look into all that stuff again and see what I need to tell it about being a recent firefox running W7 or "8...

Just sad that usually I forget to note down the stuff, to which sites I went and so.

Like with the older Palemoon version, I was for many months too lazy to update, but last time it took me a bit work to get HTML5 to work, without the need of including Gstreamer 0.10 for video support, like gst-ffmpeg-0.10.13-x86_64 and gst-plugins-bad-0.10.23-x86_64.

I was naive enough hoping activating the most recent PM and using the setup of the older version would work out of the box, but now HTML5 video no longer works, and I have no idea why. Could be that they changed stuff, could be PM just reset some settings and it could be an easy fix. Darn me and my laziness in not taking notes when fixing stuff... :wall:

Just why is there no newer version than a 6 year old FFx?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.1
I have to find another site than http://useragentstring.com...

//edit found another one with more recent ones: https://user-agents.me/firefox :D
Cheers!
Yours Rava

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#35 by donald » 27 Sep 2016, 08:53

@ Rava
Hi, only a side note about html5 and "user agent"
HTML5 videos (youtube) work fine even with this old version of FF = 18.0.2
(from stock porteus 2.0) and a fake user agent =