Missing programs, anyone?

Non release banter
agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Missing programs, anyone?

Post#1 by agreimann » 03 Jun 2011, 00:59

This is actually a very serious post. Here is my list of programs that are not found or do not work (either after wake, or in general). I'm honestly hoping that fanthom will take a look at this list. :)

- pkgtool: not found after wake
- systemsettings: does not work after wake
- ksession: does not work after wake -- LXDE does work after the computer wakes up

Anyone have anything they wish to add to this list? :)

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Re: Missing programs, anyone?

Post#2 by wread » 05 Jun 2011, 12:26

check your installation! Test it in another machine..... :(

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 05 Jun 2011, 13:35

tested and all working here too.

I would throw out that crappy USB stick!
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#4 by Ahau » 05 Jun 2011, 15:26

Ooh, I have a better idea than throwing it out. Format it as swap, and let us know how it compares to using swap off a hard drive :D
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#5 by agreimann » 05 Jun 2011, 22:26

Swap? You're joking. :D Nevertheless, swap on separate partitions on external drives can be done, but it is slow (in fact, it can cause faults) so I probably won't be doing that today. :D Very funny!

All the problems I've encountered come down to a lousy USB drive, not my computer! :) But... I find booting with no changes allows the flash drive to work well. That is one of the ways I discovered the flash drive (with changes) was the issue. Right now, I'm writing on Porteus from the flash drive with no changes enabled on a FULLY working system.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 06 Jun 2011, 13:17

Excellent. Perhaps you will decide to use 'always fresh' mode permanently and just make a module from your changes when you want to save them. I find this is a rock solid way to run Porteus.

Unfortunately the economic laws dictate that USB drives will be produced at a furious rate, using the cheapest materials possible and adhere to moores law of memory being inversely related to price ... alhtough i don't know how they can get much cheaper. I've had some that i've thrashed for years & years without a problem, others have lasted only a few weeks.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#7 by Ahau » 06 Jun 2011, 15:51

Yes, I was joking. half joking. Ok, no, I did want to know what would happen :D

I do most of my porteus work from a laptop that is technically owned by *cough* my company *cough*. The sole hard drive is one NTFS partition and it is encrypted, so I never touch it from within porteus. I have considered formatting one of my flash drives as swap to see if it could improve things like compile time. That said, I don't exactly want to use something that is prone to error when I'm compiling. So, I've never tried it, but am curious how well it would work. :D
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#8 by fanthom » 06 Jun 2011, 18:18

@all
i have seen a situation where pendrive got different letter assigned (sdc instead of sdb) after going back from sleep. Cant recreate it now but maybe this is the root of our problems?
let me know if you spot this symptom and describe how to reproduce it.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#9 by agreimann » 06 Jun 2011, 19:39

This does happen, sadly, but rarely. When it does, here is usually the story of events:

- The computer will be put into Sleep mode by a client/user/etc. from the KDE Launcher.
- The computer will sleep, and drive mapping will save to the kernel from mtab and fstab. Power mode S3 is entered.
- The computer will wake, bringing up KSession, which actually works now. :)
- The desktop will come back up when the password is typed.
- The drives can somehow remap incorrectly (differently than the pre-suspend state), causing issues until reboot. Wireless also will either be buggy in this case or quit working altogether.

Fixes: Turn off changes if you can and want to (keeps a lot of errors like this from occurring), or don't use changes on the same volume that the known issue occurs on.

This is about it... and I do find it (other than on that one flash drive) :D to be rather rare in occurrence.