Alien Bob slackware minimalist live version

Non release banter
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Alien Bob slackware minimalist live version

Post#1 by francois » 14 Nov 2015, 17:27

Curious that a debate here is somewhat relayed somewhere else by one of the leaders in terms of slackware installations. Here is an extract of of current project of alien bob:
http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/why-the ... e-silence/
Riding the top of my TODO list for a long time, I have been meaning to create a Live version of Slackware. I know, there's Porteus of course (they have an impressive ISO generator wizard by the way), and SLAX. Both are great Live distros based on Slackware. And there is SlackEX and Salix Live, and possibly some others too. Then why the urge to create yet another Live version of Slackware? Simply: because those others are Slackware-derived, and they have carved a niche of their own, but none of them are really Slackware. Also, I have been irritated by past distro reviews where the reviewer complained that Slackware did not have a Live version. Meaning, to give it a test run they would have to install the distro to an actual computer - which would lead to the usual moaning about the arcane installer and "Slackware not keeping up with time".

So what were my goals?

Provide a Live version of Slackware proper - i.e. show Slackware as it is, but without having to install it. No hiding of kernel messages scrolling across the screen at boot - no custom wallpapers, etcetera. Meant for education and demonstration purposes.
Target should be slackware-current - the bleeding edge. Many people want to know what that looks like but are hesitant to install slackware-current for fear that it breaks stuff and causes productivity loss.
Provide a way to generate a Live ISO with just Slackware packages as the source - fully scripted and deterministic.
Still be able to customize its content - for instance provide stripped-down or minimalist versions of Slackware but also allow for the inclusion of 3rd party packages.
Option to create a bootable USB stick running Slackware Live (which is different from 'dd'-ing the hybrid ISO to a USB stick!)
Keep It Simple Stupid!
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Alien Bob slackware minimalist live version

Post#2 by brokenman » 14 Nov 2015, 19:18

He does a great job. Slackware was missing a livecd, soon it will have one. This will please many people.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#3 by Tonio » 14 Nov 2015, 20:11

brokenman wrote:He does a great job. Slackware was missing a livecd, soon it will have one. This will please many people.
He truly does :) It was not missing a livecd; it was missing an ``official'' one :) :wink:
I remember for a great while, Knoppix was the king, there might have been another one, but it used Debian, then Slax came along and it became unofficial version of Slackware live. Also Austrumi was created and it worked too it was small <=50 mb. Then the newer ones came along. You know the story. We are standing on the shoulders of GIANTS :) :wall:

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#4 by wread » 14 Nov 2015, 23:01

This will result in the escape route to the anti-systemd Porteuser (including me!) :D
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 by brokenman » 15 Nov 2015, 13:02

This will result in the escape route to the anti-systemd Porteuser (including me!)
Afraid not. It is certainly not anything like Porteus. He made that pretty clear in the article.

alienbob
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware

Post#6 by alienbob » 17 Nov 2015, 21:21

I am not creating a "minimalist live version" of Slackware. Main target is the full Slackware64-current version converted to a 2.2 GB Slackware Live Edition.
The script I wrote is also able to create a Live Edition of Slackware64-current with Plasma5 instead of KDE4 (2.5 GB). It also produces a minimalistic 700 MB ISO with XFCE as the Desktop environment.
I wrote a second script to copy the ISO content to a USB stick (erasing all data) and make that stick bootable. I have persistency working on that USB version. You can add squashfs modules to the USB stick and they will be integrated automatically (not in the running system like Porteus but upon next boot).

So, my work may appeal to some people currently debating whether to stick with Porteus or not.
The difference of course: my Live Edition is not Porteus, and it does not come with the community which evolved around Porteus. Communities are more important than the tools.

Eric

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#7 by Tonio » 17 Nov 2015, 23:07

@AlienBob

I wanted to explain that it would not be minimalist. But you came to the rescue :)
Community is important, but also the tools to create the work is also important. Welcome to porteus community!!!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#8 by brokenman » 18 Nov 2015, 01:46

Thanks for dropping by Alienbob. Your work is much appreciated and I will be keeping a close eye on it. Looking forward to it.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Re: Alien Bob slackware live version

Post#9 by tome » 21 Nov 2015, 21:27

First public Beta of the Slackware Live Edition is available: http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/slackware-live-edition/
Mirrors to download (x86_64 kde & xfce):
http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/slackware-live/)
http://repo.gsacrd.ab.ca/slackware-live/
https://mega.nz/#F!uN1W0LrR!cyX3FlyvSfmz4BCbrC62VQ
:good:
Persistency should be in next release
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#10 by wread » 22 Nov 2015, 03:40

The new Salckware live modules have as extension "sxz". If you rename the modules as xzm, you can open, install, modify, etc. and use them in Porteus. :Yahoo!:

Fine Bussinness, Alienbob!, we will soon have Porteus current too, I guess, and to build it will be now easier as before. It is a pity that fanthom is at present inactive. He would give us a nice Christmas present if he were still active......

Slackware current can also do all that "modern" bell and whistles that the younger distros pretend to master....

Cheers :)
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).

Kriss
Samurai
Samurai

Post#11 by Kriss » 27 Nov 2015, 05:33

Nice!
I'll definitely try it.
Also, it should be easy to update Porteus using Slackware-live as a base. =)
brokenman wrote:
This will result in the escape route to the anti-systemd Porteuser (including me!)
Afraid not. It is certainly not anything like Porteus. He made that pretty clear in the article.
But it shouldn't be hard to replace Porteus packages with newer versions from Slackware-live?
I didn't check it, but AFAIK, all information can be found in /var/log/packages
alienbob wrote:I am not creating a "minimalist live version" of Slackware. Main target is the full Slackware64-current version converted to a 2.2 GB Slackware Live Edition.
The script I wrote is also able to create a Live Edition of Slackware64-current with Plasma5 instead of KDE4 (2.5 GB). It also produces a minimalistic 700 MB ISO with XFCE as the Desktop environment.
I wrote a second script to copy the ISO content to a USB stick (erasing all data) and make that stick bootable. I have persistency working on that USB version. You can add squashfs modules to the USB stick and they will be integrated automatically (not in the running system like Porteus but upon next boot).

So, my work may appeal to some people currently debating whether to stick with Porteus or not.
The difference of course: my Live Edition is not Porteus, and it does not come with the community which evolved around Porteus. Communities are more important than the tools.

Eric
Thank you for Slackware-live!
And it's split into boot/min/xapbase/xbase/xfcebase/zzzconf packages...
Having a choice which video driver to load would be also good (like in porteus). Is it a good idea to place vga_detect scripts to /etc/rc.d?
Just my thoughts...

P.S. I always wondered, why there's an additional "boot" directory, when one can copy syslinux to "/porteus" or "/liveslak"...
Suggestions/corrections/additions are always welcome.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#12 by Blaze » 30 Nov 2015, 18:30

Imagelackware Live Edition – Beta 2

Thanks for all the valuable feedback on the first public beta of my Slackware Live Edition. It allowed me to fix quite a few bugs in the Live scripts (thanks again!), add new functionality (requested by you or from my own TODO) and I took the opportunity to fix the packages in my Plasma 5 repository so that its Live Edition should actually work now.
What is Slackware Live Edition?

If you’re new here: Slackware Live Edition is a “live OS” meaning it does not have to be installed to a harddrive and can run straight off a CDROM or DVD medium, or off a USB stick. Slackware Live Edition is meant to showcase the development of Slackware. Therefore it will boot slackware-current and no other OS. It is meant as an ideal opportunity for people who are curious what two years of Slackware development have resulted in. You do not have to erase your current OS, just copy the ISO to a suitable medium, boot from the medium and check it out. The previous article I wrote explains in more detail why I wanted to write my own Live scripts instead of just using one of the available solutions.

What’s with these three ISO’s?
Slackware Live Edition comes in three flavors (for now). There’s a 700 MB slimmed-down XFCE version with XDM as the graphical login manager; then there is the actual complete Slackware-current with KDE4 and using KDM as the graphical login manager (2.6 GB in size); and finally you can download a 3.0 GB ISO image of Slackware-current with Plasma 5 and the SDDM graphical login manager. The Plasma 5 edition has some cool extras like vlc, libreoffice, calibre, qbittorrent ffmpeg, chromium, openjdk, veracrypt… and more from my own repository.

How do I use the ISO?
The ISO can be burnt to a DVD (XFCE version will fit on CDROM even) or copied to USB stick. Since the ISOs are ‘hybrid’ just copying to the USB device using ‘dd’ or ‘cp’ will get you a fully functional bootable medium, albeit without persistence (it’s still technically a read-only CDROM filesystem that you’ve copied to the USB stick). The OS will not be bothered by this, because it thinks it can write to the filesystem. That is the trick of a Live OS – all these write operations are done to a RAM based filesystem. The changes are gone once you reboot.

But when using the ‘iso2usb.sh‘ script you can create a real Live OS on the USB device with persistence, meaning that the things you change will be preserved across reboots. All your modifications will be stored in the directory “persistency” in the root of the USB device. Therefore you are actually able to use the USB stick as your pocket-OS on the go:

# ./iso2usb.sh -i ~/Download/slackware64-live-current.iso -o /dev/sdX

… where /dev/sdX is the device name of your USB stick. Don’t worry about accidentally overwriting the content of your hard drive – the script will first show you details about the sdX device and wants your confirmation that this is actually the device you want to reformat.
When you boot Slackware Live you will be presented with a Syslinux boot menu:
  • Start (SLACKWARE | PLASMA5 | XFCE) Live (depending on which of the three ISOs you boot)
  • Non-US Keyboard selection
  • Non-US Language selection
  • Memory test with memtest86+
The first entry boots you straight into the Live OS, using US keyboard mapping and a “en_US.utf8″ locale. If you have a non-US keyboard layout and/or want your Linux to show itself in a non-US Language, you can use the second and third menu entries to configure one of the languages I selected ( I picked what I thought were the most commonly used). If your language or keyboard is not listed, just hit the <TAB> key and change the values for the “kbd” and “locale” parameters. Likewise for the timezone parameter which by default is associated with your choice of language.
The memtest option was copied from the Slackware installer – it allows you to test your RAM sticks for hardware errors very thoroughly.

More parameters
The syslinux boot menu allows you to modify the boot command line. Press <TAB> to edit the command line. You will see several parameters you can edit but you can also add more. The <F2> key will show a couple of those.
  • 0|1|2|3|4|5|6|S|s|single (Select another runlevel to start with; the default is 4 for graphical login)
  • lang=nl_NL kbd=nl tz=Europe/Amsterdam (Example of language, keyboard and/or timezone customization)
  • nop (No persistence, i.e. boot the virgin installation)
  • nomodeset (Boot with kernel mode setting for graphics — needed with some machines)
  • load=nvidia (Load and configure binary Nvidia drivers that are present in the ISO)
  • rootdelay=10 (Add 10 second delay to allow proper USB initialization)
But there are some others, and some of these have been added after readers of this blog suggested them:
  • hostname=aliens (Change the hostname for the OS; default hostname is “darkstar“)
  • livepw=”somestring” (Change the password for the ‘live’ user)
  • rootpw=”somestring” (Change the password for the ‘root’ user)
  • load=mod1[,mod2[…]] (load one or more squashfs modules that are present in the directory “/liveslack/optional”; by default none of the modules in the “optional” directory are loaded)
  • noload=mod1[,mod2[…]] (prevent loading of one or more squashfs modules that are present in the directory “/liveslack/addons”; by default all of the modules in the “addons” directory are loaded on boot)
  • rescue (After initialization, you will be dropped in a rescue shell where you can perform lowlevel maintenance; the same happens anyway if the OS fails to boot)
  • swap (Allow the Live OS to activate all swap partitions it finds on the local hardware; by default, the hard drive will not be touched at all)
I get errors and booting fails
Booting an OS off a USB medium is tricky. Linux kernel initializes the storage and the usb subsystems in parallel. If you have a fast computer and slow USB medium or you use a USB-1 / USB-2 port, the probability is pretty high that the USB stick is not yet ready when the OS starts its mount attempts. There’s a parameter you can add to the boot command line to give the USB device some extra time to settle – try adding “rootdelay=10″ or even “rootdelay=20″ which will add 10 (or 20) seconds pause to the boot process. The iso2usb.sh script configures a default delay of 5 seconds which should be sufficient for most computers.
Instead of “rootdelay” you can use the parameter “waitforroot” with identical result.
Slackware Live does not log me on automatically!
Correct. This is a demonstration environment, with the purpose of getting you acquainted with Slackware, remember?

You already saw all these intimidating kernel messages scrolling across the screen while booting the OS, and now you have two choices for login:
  • user ‘root’ with the password ‘root’ (at least that is the default – you can change it using a boot parameter if you want)
  • user ‘live’ with the password ‘live’ (idem about the default value).
I would suggest using the ‘live’ user account to logon to the Live OS, because KDE 4 and Plasma 5 will not appreciate it when you login as root directly. If you need root access, then just run “sudo -i” or “su -” (both commands will request you to enter the password of user ‘live’, not the root password!).

What’s still on the TODO?
There are a couple of items that I did not get to but they should really be looked into to bring this out of Beta:
  • UEFI boot needs to work (must have)
  • Better documentation about how the scripts work (must have)
  • Documentation on all the boot parameters (must have)
  • Slackware installer as part of the ISO, perhaps even Didier’s polyglot installer (nice to have, only in the Plasma5 version)
  • A ‘copy2ram‘ function to run the OS entirely in RAM (nice to have)
  • … tell me more! Or post patches!
Download the ISO imagesShow me the source!
Git repository for the scripts can be found here: http://taper.alienbase.nl/cgit/liveslak/
A checkout of the repository can be found in http://www.slackware.com/~alien/liveslak/ and http://taper.alienbase.nl/mirrors/peopl ... /liveslak/

Hopefully soon, I will write a proper README which takes you through the inner workings of the scripts. If you are curious you can of course check out the sources – they are full of comments. But there are some design decisions at the core which you need to be aware of before you start on these scripts.

Happy hacking! Eric
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#13 by francois » 30 Nov 2015, 21:06

Thanks to you blaze for this detailed account of alien bob's slackware live cd. :D
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#14 by Bogomips » 01 Dec 2015, 12:19

Following brief perusal, replacement base for Porteus original? :unknown:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#15 by wread » 02 Dec 2015, 19:56

I have plasma5-current up and running from a usb already! :Yahoo!: