Non release banter
sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

A simple FYI

Post#1 by sean » 27 Oct 2015, 16:39

Friends,

Other than Porteus on a USB stick, "always in my pocket", I use Lubuntu on a desktop.

Last Thursday, 10-22-2015, Ubuntu released the 15.10 version of Ubuntu, and of course all the other Ubuntu family followed. I downloaded 4 of them via torrent files, and have let them upload continually for 5 days, thus establishing my own private "desktop" poll. I share it here with my Porteus friends because "You are the Best"!

By "torrent ratio":

Lubuntu 15.10 (LXDE), ratio = 1.0
Ubuntu 15.10 (Unity), ratio = 1.0*
Ubuntu-Mate 15.10 (Mate), ratio = 1.4
Xubuntu 15.10 (Xfce), ratio = 0.9

Please, I apologize for not including Kubuntu (KDE)**, maybe next time. As far as I'm concerned, we are Porteus.

The uploading continues, and the ratio's may change, probably will.

* Ubuntu (Unity) was the only distro I DL'd the 64 bit version of, figuring it to be the most modern of the Ubuntu family of distro's. The other 3 were of the 32 bit version.

** Kubuntu (KDE) was not DL'd for the same reason as Ubuntu (Unity). I have only 8+ year old computers, and felt no need to frustrate myself with an OS/applications that would not work for me.

Sean

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Re: A simple FYI

Post#2 by sean » 22 Jul 2016, 16:59

Hello Porteus friends,

Obviously this is not a popular thread, however, I thought I'd include a little more info, sorry for not including the 16.04 LTS Ubuntu stats from April of this year. But here is some current one day info concerning the new 16.04.01 LTS Upgrade for some popular Ubuntu flavors.

Again, since all my boxes are over 8 years old, I have excluded Kubuntu, although including Ubuntu for the 32 bit to 64 bit comparison. I won't bore you with numeric details unless specifically requested. My reason for doing this is simply to understand the most requested of the DE's so as to "perhaps" help Porteus with the direction it follows. No intent here to be abrasive in any way, if the info is not helpful, please ignore it.

Earlier today I started downloading via torrents:

Lubuntu 16.04.01 32 bit and 64 bit version .iso's
Ubuntu 16.04.01 32 bit and 64 bit version .iso's
Ubuntu-Mate 16.04.01 32 bit and 64 bit version .iso's
Xubuntu 16.04.01 32 bit and 64 bit version .iso's

This is the first time, for me, that all the 64 bit version's beat the 32 bit version's to full download status by a substantial margin.

Lubuntu (LXDE DE) and Ubuntu-Mate (Mate DE) lead the way and seem to be the most popular. Seems those with the newer hardware (64 bit) are staying with the tried and true stable DE's, so to speak.

Sean