Scope of User Contributed Procedure and Expectations Thereof

Non release banter
Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Scope of User Contributed Procedure and Expectations Thereof

Post#1 by Bogomips » 10 Sep 2015, 13:22

Bogomips wrote:This post and the following three off topic posts have been moved here from wacojohn 'Boinc???' thread, in order to respond to them, without I believe hijacking the thread.
francois wrote:@ bogomips:
Perfectly clear and straighforward intervention (this is positive reinforcement). :twisted:
You are at the apex as a moderator. :D
@ francois
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, for the nice words. :oops: This is also positive reinforcement. 8)

Btw you haven't yet got back to me on progress, if any, made on 64 bit testing of pakorg procedure as I have proposed. :twisted:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: boinc???

Post#2 by francois » 11 Sep 2015, 04:28

@bogomips:
I will come back to your porteus package manager prototype for pkgs.org as soon as I have a little more time and concentration. I have been spending too much time on Google TV, linux, kodi and tuning up the system on WiFi. Add free TV Series bulimic regime: Breaking bad and Dexter and the result is a potato couch. I should put the thing into the garbage and get back to the canoe or kayak.

I am sure that wacojohn will soon become a good beta tester for your package manager scripts. Maybe blue meridian will join the band too. Unless blaze and edp do so.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#3 by Bogomips » 11 Sep 2015, 11:41

francois wrote:Add free TV Series bulimic regime: Breaking bad and Dexter and the result is a potato couch.
Bad, bad :evil: Better to be Chasing Life while awaiting wacojohn feedback. :wink:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by francois » 11 Sep 2015, 13:18

@bogomips:

We should have a look at this tool recently pointed by tome which is directly tied to your interests in terms of a general linux package management and dependencies resolution (across distributions):
https://github.com/ViktorNova/architect

This tool was tested originally for porteus:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 58&p=21567

But maybe you already know about it, as in a way you are bulimic too. :twisted:

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Re: Scope of User Contributed Procedure and Expectations The

Post#5 by Bogomips » 08 Oct 2015, 19:20

Handbrake Guide wrote: the features you find in any open source software package are there because at least one programmer needed them and implemented them to meet their needs (more forward-thinking programmers often at least attempt to make them flexible enough to work for others with similar needs as well).

As a user I have a limited agenda. Having created a procedure that I need there are three options available:-
  • Keeping it to myself
  • Sharing it if it could be useful to others
  • Promoting it, if possibility of others being bedazzled by its brilliance
First option excluded, as being not In conformance with spirit of 'giving back', sharing is the name of the game, promotion is not, as without tangible reward of some sort, it would seem in my book, to reflect needs of an ego trip.

Any procedure I put out to share, is along the lines of those automotive and bicycle workshops springing up these days, where all the tools are provided, but people have to get their hands dirty, there being always someone at hand to give advice on usage.

Last year pondering my experience with pkgs.org and what with necessity being mother of invention and all that, I realised it might be feasible to formalise, the manual method used before, as a procedure.
francois wrote:Oh! I see. These are promoting tools for your dependencies resolution strategies tools for pkgs.org.

I will come back to report on my dependency resolution for these two packages above gimp and fotoxx. :D
Bogomips wrote:There is only one tool for pkgs.org. The other day I got so many small package dependencies that it crossed my mind to write these quick scripts, in a way anticipating a future demand should someone happen to use pakorg script. Anyway it's no skin off my nose if you don't use what's in front of your nose. :D . As already mentioned it's a back burner project of mine, which I have gone to some trouble to bring to an almost finished state, in order to make available for general use to the Community. 8)
Having noticed in some posts on the forum, that some people were up against it in dependency searching, I made an effort to hurry up and get the procedure into a suitable state for testing, and then put it out there.

It was disappointing that those lamenting the lack of dependency solutions should completely ignore, not even cast a comment, on said procedure. It riles me when a certain someone complains about circular definitions in pkgs.org, as I have specifically stated that the procedure does away with circular definitions. However, as mentioned to Rava, there was the compensation of getting it ready for use far ahead of time, of seeing a concept working in practice, and to see that it actually delivered the goods.

What was really annoying was the fact that I had devoted all my spare time over a week to writing a description of the procedure, and had endeavoured to provide a step by step guide to its usage. Other than francois, not a peep from anyone else. No remark, good, bad or indifferent, just resounding silence.

There was a time when I could have done with help in testing, but that is long past. The main difficulty then, was trying to decide which similar sounding package/library could already be depended on as being on the system, and not having to be replaced. Managed that more or less by now, and when in doubt just replacing said package/library. Testing is long over, and as for 64 bit, not going to waste time over it.

Mon ami, I am not in the business of making a UNSM (Universal Non-Slackware Manager), and that is not to be expected of me. No Pie in the Sky for your humble servant. 8) However when I have created a procedure, which seemed to me could also be of use to others, I have given it a user interface and put it out there. If someone needs a module I make it if there are not too many dependencies (suppose if someone needs it badly could provide dependencies list). as it's a means of exercising my procedure.

I offer only 32 bit modules, as this favours older machines, thereby supporting resistance to the throwaway society. Someone with 64 bit system can always download a 32 bit iso and run app after launch from iso file, if they need it urgently enough, or install the libraries to run 32 bit modules, or actually use the procedure.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by francois » 09 Oct 2015, 03:03

:oops:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#7 by Ed_P » 09 Oct 2015, 04:21

francois wrote::oops:
Yes, interesting how some postings on this forum disappear or get edited with no trace of who, when or why. Image
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by francois » 09 Oct 2015, 13:37

@Ed:
You can delete your own posts whenever you want. :wink:

There is a little x, do you see it? Just at the right of the edit word.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#9 by Ed_P » 09 Oct 2015, 14:27

francois wrote:@Ed:
You can delete your own posts whenever you want. :wink:
True, but so can any of the admins and mods. Lots of delete possibilities.

Did you delete your original posting?
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by francois » 09 Oct 2015, 17:02

Which post are you talking about? You seems to be suspicious.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#11 by Bogomips » 09 Oct 2015, 20:06

Looks like gremlins in the woodwork. :Search:

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#12 by francois » 12 Oct 2015, 02:31

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gremlin:
a mischievous invisible being, said by airplane pilots in World War II to cause engine trouble and mechanical difficulties.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#13 by Bogomips » 13 Oct 2015, 17:01

francois wrote:@bogomips:
Sorry. There is too much time between my experiments with your scripts. I am loosing track.
Actually am having second thoughts about earnestness shown to work/use resolver. Seems a bit cavalier.
francois wrote:Did you have a look at neko's work? It seems that you are trying to achieve about the same objectives, but maybe thru different ways?
My objective was reached some three months ago, when I got the dependencies for the app I wanted. Now there is another app I would like to have, and so a new objective has been reached, dependency wise, and now also in functioning form.

Hence, the long term objective is to enhance the procedure in its presentation and functionality; to adapt the procedure to deal with unforeseen circumstances met along the way in previous runs; thereby making it easier to use the next time round, when getting dependencies for the next app needed. :)
francois wrote:@bogomips:
We should have a look at this tool recently pointed by tome which is directly tied to your interests in terms of a general linux package management and dependencies resolution (across distributions):
https://github.com/ViktorNova/architect
No longer my interests. (Sense of been there done that or summat similar.) No inclination to do UNSM. Owing to volatile nature of software, hour of glory lasts but a fleeting moment, and then is gone. :(

Need something simple that would help with immediate concerns/recurrent problems and future issues:
  • Finding versioned libraries on the net
    Took quite a bit of elf reading to finally hit on a package which would bump up stdc++ lib from .18 to .20, needed by newer apps, and which did not clash with established gclibs on system.
  • GTK symbol lookup table errors
    At the moment this turns out to be a hit and run affair, searching the net for reports of exactly the same error, and then sifting them through for approximate matches.
  • Python module import errors
    The shape of things to come, I wonder? In quest to sort out same error, found that there is even a Python Software Foundation! (Music to the ears of some.)
Finding dependencies is no longer the problem, but the selective replacement of same, whether it be usm gotten or already installed dependencies on system. For instance:
  1. Got dependencies for ghb, then found GtkStack undefined. Home of Gtk informs GtkStack new in 3.10, but usm gtk+3 is only 3.8.2.
  2. Upgrade to much later gtk+, version 3.16.7.
  3. Symbol Lookup Error concernig gobj & cairo. Wisdom of the web recommends not having dated gobj and advises cairo upgrade.
  4. Upgraded glib2 & cairo show up a malloc problem.
  5. Having noticed it being given a mention in some of output, upgraded atk-bridge. ghb now runs, but activity log shows errors occurring with gvfs.
  6. usm gvfs replaced with upgrade. Finally ghb runs error free. Added bonus, nautilus now functions correctly, and both Files(later nautilus) and nemo (sorely missed from the Mint working days) can not only run but also with full functionality.
A spinoff from above was transmageddon, almost. Python reported module gi not found, even though looked like having been included in a dependency. Whole new kettle of fish, it seems, getting python to import a module.
francois wrote: This tool was tested originally for porteus:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 58&p=21567
But maybe you already know about it, as in a way you are bulimic too. :twisted:
This is not current if it has to be dredged up from the past. As far as I'm concerned, if I needed something of the sort which neko provides, I'll go to him even though he would be regurgitating the past. As a user, not as a software provider, have no interest in who first did what, which one would have to worry about if one was doing this as a computer science project. (Having to research if this was a repeat of something done in the past, as work has to be original.) Prime mover of modern China was crucified by dogmatists for saying that colour of cat did not matter so long it caught the mouse. In this instance it will be Neko, having regular presence on forum, so if there is difficulty he can be easily reached to help out, and in my book, that is what counts.
francois wrote:Did you have a look at neko's work? It seems that you are trying to achieve about the same objectives, but maybe thru different ways?
Despite the fact that the procedure for resolving dependencies had been put out some months ago long before neko came up with his Arch package manager, the same question has so far not been put to him, nor has a reason for this been given in resolver thread. Wonder what should be read into this.

As things stand, to expect regular updates of resolver to be posted, would be unrealistic without uptake. Any posting of update will follow at own pace for benefit of anyone new, who could profit from its utilization.