Financial support: discussion

Non release banter
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Financial support: discussion

Post#1 by francois » 21 Sep 2015, 17:41

This content came from another post that was split so to be on topic.

@lemming:
Sorry, in the context of this long file name support topic, I am unable to relate to the following in your text:
Its kind of like 'the suitcase full of money is at 1215 albuquerque avenue apartment 12-b' and hope you get the message before the rest of the public. Or was it in a paper sack under the bench by the fountain in the park at midnight. Anyhow, its out there somewhere

I see the server move funding seems to have went well so it could be my standard problem, the people I deal with are just not hungry enough.

I will try to find some more pigeons so I can send you the message again
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

lemming
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: nimblex slax dsl4m tiny slitaz

Re: long file name support

Post#2 by lemming » 22 Sep 2015, 15:33

@francois
let me try to explain [so it makes sense]
Its kind of like 'the suitcase full of money is at 1215 albuquerque avenue apartment 12-b' and hope you get the message before the rest of the public. Or was it in a paper sack under the bench by the fountain in the park at midnight. Anyhow, its out there somewhere
This is an example to explain why I am trying to email you fundraising ideas instead of posting them where bots put them on google. If I tell you my idea is an ice cream stand, before you read the post when you wake up in the morning your street will be so full of people selling ice cream you can't pick up your mail. By then, selling ice cream will be a stupid idea
I see the server move funding seems to have went well so it could be my standard problem, the people I deal with are just not hungry enough.
This was me wondering to myself if brokenman saw my message. I believe he has answered my question
I will try to find some more pigeons so I can send you the message again
This is a joke about failure to send messages. In the olden days, people would exchange pigeons. Then they would tie a note to the pigeons leg. Since pigeons always return home to roost, if they let the pigeon go it would [try to] fly to the other guys house. He would then catch the pigeon, untie the little note, and read it [assuming all went well.] Meanwhile, the guys who probably now work at the nsa would get hawks and falcons and sit outside the guys house. When they saw the guy let go of the pigeon, they would let go of the hawk. Then [if they had done a good job training their hawk] the hawk would bring them the pigeon and they would read the note. Then they would go to their boss and tell him the two guys were talking bad about him. And the first guy would need more pigeons. Because the one the hawk brought to the men in the middle was not coming back. See also 'pheasant under glass'
(is this spam?)
What is your definition of spam. I am not a bot. I dont actually know how to program them, but I have been thinking about it for a while. Seems interesting. I do what little scraping I do manually, and I havent actually used any of it for anything

@ brokenman
Please resend any message I may have missed. I was absent for a while over March-July.
lemming - 29 Aug 2015, 14:18
thanks. Ive been lurking since version 1.2. I have some ideas for funding, I was going to email Francois but if you are here I can email you. Nothing pressing it may take me a day or two
I know Im getting a little off topic here for this thread, this just happens to be awfully convenient.

lemming
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by lemming » 22 Sep 2015, 15:47

Incidentally, I have sold ice cream. It was a bad idea.

While I'm irretrievably off topic, perhaps I can tell another story about fund raising.

Once upon a time, there was a website called http://www.slax.org. It was a good web site. It had a good forum and it had a good repo. I actually found it quite excellent at the time [2007?].

After years of lurking, I signed up for an account. [With the same account name I am using now, lemming.] I uploaded freedroid. [And freedroid-rpg.] It disappeared. hmmm

Some time later, Thomas M. is in trouble! He needs funds, or slax is going to die. I am sad. I have an idea! I think I can help Thomas M., so slax must not die. But first I have to sign up for an account again, because my account has went the way of my freedroid uploads. My little inner hermit crab came out of its shell and posted some ideas [in the public forum.] This was in response to his 'he needs someone in the U.S. to be able to transfer funds through the [some website or something, I forget what his idea was now] post. So I respond I can help with this, and some ideas of my own. I save my post on my own hard drive, because one should always copy everything into leafpad in case it disappears. This is because the internet comes from DARPA and is not reliable.

This was before bitcoin was 'invented.' My response to Thomas M. disappeared, just like my freedroid upload, without any explanation or even so much as a 'hello!' Ok. So. Is it hackers? Is it evil dictators? Censorship, perhaps. I don't know.

This story is not over. I get on the phone to a friend. I don't think my friend knows what linux is. But we're not that good of friends, so I tell him 'theres this web site this guy if some people with some money pay him to screw up his web site I will be sad because it is a good web site.' If you go on the slax web site today, at the bottom it says 'wisol gmbh' and '[something] gmbh' and these are supposedly swiss 'industrial oven control machinery' companies [?] You tell me

Same thing happened with nimblex, by the way. True story

Ah, leafpad. So pretty soon bogdan I think and I definitely suffered massive traumatic memory losing events. Long story short, I couldn't begin to tell you where I saved that post or how I could find it. But I still remember the ideas. I have much better ideas than this, incidentally. But the problem with losing your memory (and your 'marbles,' the [calcium{?}] 'stones' you have in your ears [otoliths?] that you need to balance and not get sick) is that you need a consultant, or you're never going to benefit from your own ideas.

The idea is to come up for funding for porteus. Thomas M., apparently, obtained some funding. He is 'not hungry.' A better idea is to come up with funding for porteus that doesn't involve screwing up the web site. Porteus has a good web site. I am not in favor of screwing up good things. This is why I try not to put my ideas where evil bots can steal them. [Anymore]
Last edited by lemming on 22 Sep 2015, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#4 by Bogomips » 22 Sep 2015, 16:02

francois wrote:@brokenman and others:
Does someone understand? (is this spam?)
@francois
Strikes me as someone who wishes to help Porteus with money raising ideas which he wishes to keep confidential, so that others do not beat Porteus to the punch. 8)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

lemming
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by lemming » 22 Sep 2015, 16:18

so that others do not beat Porteus to the punch.
pretty much.

Incidentally, I've noticed offering fund raising can engender an awful lot of hostility. I'm not sure what it is. I call it the 'demon of financial deprivation.'

Also, you get too many haters snooping around it can be bad for the web site. Anyone know what happened to the nimblex forum? old.slax.org obviously still has the forum, but of course links are broken. No forum on the new post-wisol slax page?

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by francois » 22 Sep 2015, 17:29

@lemming:
Sorry for my misinterpretation. L'argent est le nerf de la guerre. I am sure that your abilities will be appreciated by our developpers and the community. Brokenman is the right man to communicate with, though opening a thread on fund raising for porteus would be quite interesting. You would get the feedback of the forum members. You can do so under the general chat section.
Thanks.

lemming
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by lemming » 24 Sep 2015, 01:24

@lemming:
Sorry for my misinterpretation. L'argent est le nerf de la guerre.
Thanks. No problem, quite understandable. Its mainly my fault for using the wrong forum. Or alternately, the fault of spambots/evil 'hackers' [probably script kiddies] that make it necessary to disable email for new users.
I am sure that your abilities will be appreciated by our developpers and the community. Brokenman is the right man to communicate with, though opening a thread on fund raising for porteus would be quite interesting. You would get the feedback of the forum members. You can do so under the general chat section.
That is what I was asking. I just had to ask here because as we have established you were not in fact getting my emails.

However, in this case I feel I should wait for brokenmans express approval, because otherwise it would be spam:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam
Forum spam consists of posts on Internet forums that contains related or unrelated advertisements, links to malicious websites, and abusive or otherwise unwanted information. Forum spam is usually posted onto message boards by automated spambots or manually with unscrupulous intentions with one idea in mind: to get the spam in front of readers who would not otherwise have anything to do with it intentionally.
so if making porteus money is something you 'would not otherwise have anything to do with it intentionally.' then yes, it is spam [to you only]. So, in my defense, I was asking is it ok to ask, not asking. So asking, 'is this spam if I do this' may be spam but not necessarily. Hence the desire to ask.

@bogomips
Really I was asking is it ok to ask if anyone is interested in fund raising for porteus. In my defence, I asked in the most prominent part of the site I could find [mini-chat] well beforehand [29 Aug 2015, 14:18, specifically], and no one told me no. Still, I am an [if intermittent] proponent of the 'ask beforehand' policy, especially on other people's web sites. I'm not trying to invoke the "it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" doctrine in this instance.

In defence of why I would prefer to use email for this, please allow me to reference the following:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine ... ls_problem
specifically:
"Byzantine refers to the Byzantine Generals' Problem, an agreement problem (described by Leslie Lamport, Robert Shostak and Marshall Pease in their 1982 paper, "The Byzantine Generals Problem")[1] in which a group of generals, each commanding a portion of the Byzantine army, encircle a city."
As an aside, note the efficacy of sending notes by [carrier] pigeon to get the guy with the hawk in trouble with the boss.

Code: Select all

Im using the code box here even though it isn't code because I recognize it is off topic [for the board but not the thread] but I think it might need to be said.  I'll quit doing this after this, and hopefully the guy that almost hit us will quit doing that as well.
As another aside, I almost got hit [thought the guy was going to kill me] by a big truck while I was riding as a passenger yesterday by a guy talking on a cell phone while attempting to run a red light yesterday morning.  Then he waved at us like 'hello!' like he knew what he was doing.  If I hadnt yelled at my driver to stop likely I would be in the hospital today.  So, not to say this was because I posted to the porteus forum, but also to say theres no evidence it wasn't.  If anyone does in fact know whos doing that you might want to tell him stop before he gets you in trouble.  [or himself]  Thats the good thing about being really sick you don't write down license plate numbers and tell people youve found their 'stolen' truck.  Saves a lot of being hassled by ms 13 and their ilk.  They still try to smash some of us with the truck though, obviously. 

@kid in the truck yesterday morning:
Also, if youre going to drive around trying to t-bone passenger sides with your truck while pretending to be on the phone, you should probably shave.  Theres not too many young kids with blonde beards out there.  Also if youre on your phone youire trackable by your ip, any imsi catcher and regular towers, likely among other options.  Not to say youre getting instructions on where I am and when to hit me.  Of course, if you get caught and end up in jail, you're probably not going to want to be clean shaven, especially not nowadays.  Those guys likely aren't going to be willing to marry you afterwards.  Also, you should go back for more drivers training.  The teamsters have an excellent program, if you aren't aware already.  Maybe you can get it covered under your doc informant job.  If that really was a coincidence, don't sweat it.  We've all done it.  Although I never have in a truck.  Although I have in a cab.  Although I didn't almost hit the guy, he almost t boned me, because I was running the red light.  But I made 300 dollars that night, cash at the end of the night.  But I wasted it.  I've also hit two cars on my bike, both of whom deliberately stopped in front of me on purpose.  I think the first guy had a passenger using an antenna as an electric fencing foil and the second lady had an armored car and was working for the hospital.  But I digress.

To try to steer the conversation back to the topic, turns out I was wrong in believing reiser offered 'unlimited length file name support':
ReiserFS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReiserFS - Cached
Max. filename length, 4032 bytes, limited to 255 by Linux VFS ... ReiserFS was
the default file system in Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise until Novell .... Directory
items with too many entries or indirect items which are too long to fit into a node ...
Still, as far as I can tell reiser on porteus doesn't even allow 200 bytes. So now we have brokenmans attention, I wonder if I can ask him if he knows this and he'd be willing to answer yes/no/dont know. Admittedly if you dont have a reiser partition its difficult to test. I make a point of keeping one partition of every filesystem and I tend to subconsciously assume everyone else does the same. I should probably stop doing that.

Again it's possible it's an issue unique to mate. I can't really test the other desktops because although I have them and they might load they don't really work. Hence my interest in reverting to kde3/tde. Incidentally tde's back under development, with a slack code base.

Incidentally this thread has moved up from goigle result #3 for 'long file name porteus' yesterday to number one today. Apparently goigles algorithm doesn't allow for filtering wildly off-topic material.

And sorry about these long posts. We just kind of ran into this frenzy of misunderstanding here. I'll see if we can't avoid that going forward. I feel really bad now because I feel like none of my ideas are good enough to warrant all this. Other than maybe snowboards, iphones, minecraft and bitcoin. I still don't think those are good ideas, but I think they've caught on. In my defense, my ideas seem to be really popular, even [or actually, especially] when they're really bad.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Financial support: discussion

Post#8 by brokenman » 24 Sep 2015, 13:25

I suggest starting a new thread for fund raising ideas or pm me privately. Whichever you are happy with. As for long filename support, it is built into the kernel, I will test it tonight. Thanks.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Financial support: discussion

Post#9 by francois » 24 Sep 2015, 17:26

@brokenman:
The thread has been split simultaneously to your intervention. :wink: