What is your previous Linux background?

Non release banter
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#1 by francois » 21 Jun 2015, 20:47

Just to know a little bit more about you.

Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Seva
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: XFCE Porteus Desktop 3.1 64bit

Re: What is your previous Linux background?

Post#2 by Seva » 21 Jun 2015, 21:01

Ubuntu, thats it. And it has better look than Porteus. Elementary OS has better look than Porteus.
posted from Porteus

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by francois » 21 Jun 2015, 21:13

Kde plasma 5 is coming, but not completely functional. It looks good.

I like EOS looks too.

Seva
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: XFCE Porteus Desktop 3.1 64bit

Post#4 by Seva » 21 Jun 2015, 21:18

Thats good news, i dont mind if it will look like EOS ripoff :)
posted from Porteus

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#5 by donald » 21 Jun 2015, 21:53

Hi francois
Well, over the years I took a look at various major distros...mostly for a month or two..
I will not do any distro bashing..but none of them remained.
Too big..to much bloat..to much "ease of use"..and so on...

But there is a ray of hope..my main OS, a small independent Beast.
Fighting with it will make you learn Linux anew.
Of course, it is absolutely not recommended for beginners.
The name?...SliTaz.

And obviously Porteus..on an usb-flash...when I prefer to stay in the comfort zone.. 8)

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#6 by Ed_P » 21 Jun 2015, 23:55

francois wrote:What is your previous Linux background?
What is yours?
Ed

cttan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 and 4.0 64bit KDE

Post#7 by cttan » 22 Jun 2015, 00:25

play a bit with slackware, redhat, debian, slax and finally stick with Porteus.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by francois » 10 Jul 2015, 13:22

I still have the impression I do not have much. Only some familiarity thru the years with porteus, and curiously not so much with slackware. I should confess that I never installed a full slackware system on my linux box.

I could say that I am quite familiar with debian, and a little acquainted with archlinux which I really like. This last one seems like a lamborghini. The problem I have is that I am a novice mecano.

My first encounter with linux was red hat in the last 90's. I bought a licence but finally was never able to get completely functional with it. Then there was the birth of ubuntu with their free cd's.

But I really got into linux with slax around 2005, a forum where I met brokenman, fanthom, rava, blaze, cttan. This is where porteus was born as slax-remix with the leadership of fanthom.

TTW
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Puppy

Post#9 by TTW » 15 Jul 2015, 10:46

Tried a number of "Live bootable" distros, most of which failed to boot successfully.

Started using Puppy with some success. MacPup was wonderful using the Enlightenment desktop but had issues connecting with Wifi.

Was involved with the build of Saluki - another Puppy distro (built their forum and helped with testing - until the project stopped) This was the first distro I found that was happy sitting on a USB stick but could also connect out of the box with my wifi. Still using it today. It's still fast and functional although the browsers are stuck in time as I haven't got a clue how to compile a new version. Lack of support for Saluki has me looking again for a distro to work with.

I'm a very demanding user, haha, and require the following:
Basics to work out of the box - i.e. it finds and connects to all my hardware without a problem - particularly important with wifi.
Easily transferred to USB stick, preferably booted from Legacy Grub, and never touches my Windows installation (have to keep wife happy)
Has sufficient packages to cover: Web browser, email client, text editor (for PHP, Javascript, HTML), FTP client and normal office things like Word processing, PDFs and spreadsheets.
Oh and preferably it's super fast to use and does not bloat.

How demanding is that> :)

TTW

sedstar
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: 32bit xfce

Post#10 by sedstar » 30 Jul 2015, 11:53

in the 90s or so? a free CD came with a computer magazine... "free LINUX desktop! Its a windows killer! enjoy!"

getting that "thing" to BOOT on my old laptop? Good grief... i must have wiped the old 8 gig hard drive 100 or 200 TIMES before i could answer all the 627 "yes or no" questions...*correctly*, lol...

finally got a desktop going... never saw multiple desktops before? lol... finally figured out what the &^%$ the rotating 3d "cube" was for... got on dialup, and did a little browsing.... okay, this is cool...

THEN i tried to download and install the "free" software off the internet? LMAO... i never could get a tarball installed. SO,,, i put LINUX away for YEARS...

about a year or two ago, i tried UBUNTU. Too big and too slow, switched out to Xubuntu... better... still bloated, but... manageable. STILL cant install a tarball correctly, LMAO. i DID LIKE the software center, though... yippee! you know?

==============================================================

then i got LucidPuppy... LIKED it, and it was my introduction to run in ram philosophy... i recently got PRECISE puppy...

i played live with ZorinOS... MINT... and LINUX LITE...

finally settled on Zorin for an install on a partition on my windows drive, cos it had the win desktop and menus...AND a ubuntu styled software center loaded with goodies.

(i liked linux lite "look and feel" best, but, they had no real software center and i dont wanna go thru the tarball or whatever fiasco, lol... i can only cut and paste terminal commands i find on the web, LMAO)

i am REALLY LIKING "fatdog64 - puppy"... and slacko puppy is okay too....

i really like PORTEUS, its got the linux-lite desktop and clean menus i like... and it runs in RAM like a precise puppy...

i think i am going to have to try 64Porteus on my 64bit laptop, see if its fast enough.,..

=================================

Ubuntu "failed" trying to do WINE on ubuntu with STARCRAFT broodwar and FRUITY LOOPS (my 2 main programs on windoze)

zorin? using play on linux? i got FL to run fine... just cant install and recognize any of my VST instruments... and if i could get SC running too? i would REALLY think about using LINUX a whole lot more, and windows a whole lot less.

==========================================

i am just starting to BROWSE the internet casually with distros like PUPPY and PORTEUS, to keep my windows from puking un-necessarily, LMAO...

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#11 by Bogomips » 30 Jul 2015, 12:21

@sedstar
Welcome to Porteus :Rose:

Please note that there is a Programming section in the forum. There you could raise questions on how to get a tarball working. :)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#12 by Bogomips » 02 Aug 2015, 10:41

phhpro wrote:@francois: You can't be serious ;) With all due respect to all the nerds and experts aboard, my own list would be way too long to make any sense at all ;)
Nevertheless an umble user would like to try and make sense of it all :roll:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by francois » 02 Aug 2015, 12:06

@phhpro:
Serious, I am always, with some few exceptions. I did not asked for a biography. I am sure you have a few pearls in your pocket. Have you ever read: Les perles d'un facteur.

xtudiux
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#14 by xtudiux » 12 Aug 2015, 17:08

Mandrake...a little redhat before it becomes redhat enterprise...linspire...mepis to ubuntu to mint...slax to slax remix to portues...hehehhehe...then back to mandriva...then to puppy...xbmc...back to portues...