It's unbelievable how Linux based operating systems

Non release banter
Johannes
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus - Kiosk 4.5.0 - i486

It's unbelievable how Linux based operating systems

Post#1 by Johannes » 02 Dec 2014, 00:27

are getting bigger and bigger, and heavier. Gone are the days where almost all Linux operating systems fitted on just one CD. I am glad that the developers at Porteus are not following the other examples out there, and are focusing on keeping the operating system small, light, and yet highly functional. To be honest, there's nothing that I miss on Porteus, when I compare it to operating systems that are ten times its size.

Cheers,

Johannes

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: It's unbelievable how Linux based operating systems

Post#2 by Bogomips » 02 Dec 2014, 16:04

Too right. :Bravo: With the XZMs as building blocks, system can be honed to one's particular requirements. Getting away with about nine loops, for day to day demands, on this slightly outdated PC. 8)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Michele13
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Based on Debian and Slackware

Re: It's unbelievable how Linux based operating systems

Post#3 by Michele13 » 24 Dec 2014, 19:09

This is the reason why I want to know more about slackware. I like Debian based distributions however the ISO they are shipping are so big! I don't like that. I know that DVD are now cheap and it's hard to find a flash drive that has less than 4GB, however it was nice when a LiveCD with an included installer was about 650MB...I like lightweight systems. I play around with debian in order to achieve the smallest live cd possible (with persistence). Porteus is a good OS because a lot of the persistent file is not filled with a lot of junk! but there's always a lot of space available for your documents