41%
I don't use email
6%

Total votes: 17

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Do you use an email client?

Post#16 by francois » 02 Nov 2014, 21:36

Hi Donald,

I was more thinking about it the other way around. But I agree, that I seldom send more critical information.

I am more aware of the information coming in. I do not like to receive too much crap and I hate clicking on message pretendedly from a friend, realizing that his email address was stolen by someone with bad intents.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Post#17 by sean » 02 Nov 2014, 23:53

Between your ISP-Mail-Server and your Mail-Client there can be "PoptrayMinus".

Sean

biotec
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: slackware

Post#18 by biotec » 06 Nov 2014, 02:28

I use Thunderbird on my PCs to consult all my mail accounts at once (and I have K9 on the phone for the same purpose). It happens to me to use web mail very occasionally (if having to use somebody else's computer), but I don't really like webmail interfaces, neither I like having to login in several different webmail systems. I use regularly whatsapp, and of course part of former email uses now go over this, but they are different things for different contexts. The same for social networks. IMO email will not disappear, the same way as radio did not disappear because of TV.

However, this said, I guess the pool is meant to decide whether to include an email client in Porteus or not. I do not use Porteus as my regular Linux system, but for two purposes: as an emergency solution on computers that I do not own, and to distribute a well defined setup to students. For those uses, I do not require an email client, and if I would need it, I can make my own module from standard slackware packages (already did, in fact).

I have understood that the Porteus team is already very busy maintaining Porteus as it is, so my vote would be not to spend extra time with an email client, if this was the question.

Regarding

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#19 by francois » 06 Nov 2014, 21:39

Is it so complicated to install the non webmail packages thru usm or as a modules (alike the webbrowser or libreoffice modules)?
Last edited by francois on 07 Nov 2014, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#20 by Ed_P » 06 Nov 2014, 22:26

I agree. SeaMonkey and ThunderBird are both available via USM and adding the cheatcode extramod= is not that hard.

And for what it's worth, "PoptrayU" works fine also, via Wine. :wink:
Ed