Easy way to get kernel config and modules

Non release banter
Kartweel
White ninja
White ninja

Easy way to get kernel config and modules

Post#1 by Kartweel » 06 Oct 2014, 02:39

Hi,

I've been having trouble on porteus with a few machines and ended up putting ubuntu server on them and going from there.

The issue is mainly with drivers and kernel config. I can't find the right drivers on porteus, or they just aren't quite working right, etc, whereas on ubuntu it all just seems to work.

I was wondering if you know of an easy way I can just copy over the ubuntu kernel and drivers to use with porteus?. It seems ubuntu already has aufs patched in.

I've tried a few times, but I can't get a good config with it. Either waaaaay too many drivers, or no drivers.

I basically just want porteus, with the ubuntu server kernel and modules :).

Running ubuntu of a USB completely sucks whereas running porteus on a USB rocks.

Pointers in the right direction are helpful, I've spent too long messing around and not getting any joy (somehow ended up with a 1GB kernel xzm. I figured that was wrong seeing the entire ubuntu install fits on a CD)

Thanks! Ryan

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Easy way to get kernel config and modules

Post#2 by fanthom » 06 Oct 2014, 06:45

hi Ryan,

everything what Ubuntu has we can have in Porteus as well. please specify which drivers are missing and i'll try to add them to next release.

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Kartweel
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by Kartweel » 06 Oct 2014, 12:33

Thanks,

I can't remember :(

My ubuntu install just corrupted (and the backup was corrupted, I didn't realise). So I'm back to my trusty porteus install which is missing some modules, but has the main ones.

It was mainly low end server hardware, the Intel c204 and c600 chipsets, some different network cards (I can't remember which ones sorry), the Prolific USB to Serial adapter is another one I remember. And some other bits and bobs that aren't critical, but seem to help. When I eventually rebuild it, I'll list any missing drivers for you.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 06 Oct 2014, 13:35

ok - will keep an eye on this thread.

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.