How to add desktops to the panel pager?—RazorQt—[SOLVED]

Non release banter
kevjonesin
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.0 RazorQt desktop

How to add desktops to the panel pager?—RazorQt—[SOLVED]

Post#1 by kevjonesin » 23 May 2014, 15:05

How does one alter the number of virtual desktops in Porteus 3.0 RazorQt?
Last edited by kevjonesin on 27 May 2014, 10:49, edited 2 times in total.
: }
- - - - – – — "Who is Ed Bernays?" #WhoIsEdBernays

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: How to add virtual desktops to the panel pager? — RazorQ

Post#2 by Ed_P » 23 May 2014, 21:26

What's a "virtual desktop" and what's a "panel pager"? :pardon:
Ed

kevjonesin
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by kevjonesin » 23 May 2014, 21:57

Apparently RazorQt calls it a ...
""Desktop switcher" Panel Widget"

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 24 May 2014, 18:11

/etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml

Line: 123 Change the number to 4 and just below this give the desktops names.
Logout and login and they will appear.
Add this edited file to the rootcopy folder for persisting changes. (/mnt/sdxY/porteus/rootcopy/etc/xdg/opnbox/rc.xml)
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

kevjonesin
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by kevjonesin » 25 May 2014, 19:00

Thanks brokenman. I started addressing that 'rc.xml' file via LXTerminal and discovered that I don't have 'nano' installed (which I'm used to coming from the deb/untu-verse). Tried 'vi' for a second. It still looked arcane to me even after googling for 'quick-start' key shortcuts. Moved on to gui. Launched leafpad as root ... and while starting to copy/paste some stuff from my terminal attempt I noticed that openbox windows were set for 'click to focus'—whereas I've gotten used to 'focus follows mouse'. (It was default on Bodhi when I started using E17 awhile back). SO ...

I went looking around the settings apps ... could swear I'd seen those settings somewhere ... err ... and ...

I ended up building 'obconf-qt' from recent source by adapting the version setting on a slackbuild script and then converting the package to a Porteus module. Two birds, one stone. And a familiar interface. :)

I'll post it to the modules section at some point. A question 1st before doing so though ...

When I slack-built the package I made some notes as comments in the build script regarding my version edit. (I don't think such'll carry through to the end package, but it helps keep me sorted locally). However, after completing package building and module conversion, I noticed that "obconf-qt.info"—which I had downloaded with the slackbuild script—made reference to a previously/originally scripted source version, "obconf-qt-20131129_869c900". And I suspect that the .info does carry through to the built package.

What's protocol like for such? Is it an issue? How much slack in the Slack/Porteus-verse? i.e. Is it worth rebuilding with corrected '.info' or, as it's functional 'as is', should I just go ahead and upload and post it? The built module name, "obconf-qt-064f51c-i486-1_SBo.xzm", does reflect the true source. Perhaps it'd be cool to post the .xzm module, but maybe not so much the "obconf-qt-064f51c-i486-1_SBo.tgz" slackware package (with good title, but erroneous .info within) on which it's based? Please advise.

p.s.— Brokenman, I wandered into your youtube page yesterday and checked out some of the 'close magic'. Very cool.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 by brokenman » 25 May 2014, 21:25

Yes having a familiar CLI editor is useful. I've gotten used to 'vi' but there is also mcedit included in Porteus which is more versatile and intuitive.

A standard slackbuild should copy over this file. I'm not sure how you went about converting the package to a porteus module. If you want to retain all documents after creating the slack package then:

Code: Select all

txz2xzm /path/to/my/package.txz
Go ahead and post the module. It should be well received. Actually it should be included in porteus RazorQt. I don't remember now why I didn't include it, I will look back over notes.
Glad you found the ytube channel. Sleight of hand/mind has always been an interest to me.

kevjonesin
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by kevjonesin » 25 May 2014, 23:39

I converted my Slackbuild built ".tgz" package to Porteus ".xzm" module via gui "USM (Porteus Package Manager)" tools. Is it safe to presume that USM --> Tools --> modtools --> 'Convert a slackware package to a module' simply acts as a frontend for the command you posted above?
txz2xzm /path/to/my/package.txz
As for passing over 'obconf-qt', it's coming out of the LXQt 'Razor/LXDE' merge project. Pretty recent development. I pulled source from LXDE's github repos.
http://git.lxde.org/gitweb/?p=lxde/obco ... 4c64db35e3

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#8 by brokenman » 27 May 2014, 01:39

As for passing over 'obconf-qt', it's coming out of the LXQt 'Razor/LXDE' merge project.
Aah. That would explain why I didn't include it. :)