[SOLVED] SLAX Modules

Non release banter
gsthompson277
White ninja
White ninja

[SOLVED] SLAX Modules

Post#1 by gsthompson277 » 07 Mar 2011, 20:20

Can I load SLAX modules in PORTEUS and if so how? I am a fresh install on a new HP Laptop testing it. I also need to know how to manually install drivers. I have my wifi drivers from the manufacturer now what do I do with them. I am a total newbie so be gentle.
Last edited by gsthompson277 on 11 Mar 2011, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: SLAX Modules

Post#2 by Hamza » 07 Mar 2011, 20:30

No , because , we use the Squash4 , and SLAX use the Squash3 ,but you can convert your module sq3 to sq4 in porteus.

Welcome to the Porteus Community.

Posted after 2 minutes 32 seconds:
Thanks Ahau for the move of the topic !

Merci Ahau pour avoir deplacer le sujet
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#3 by Ahau » 07 Mar 2011, 20:39

Topic moved to 'General Chat', as HOWTO's and resources is for posting resources and documentation, rather than help requests.

Welcome, gsthompson277!

Hamza is correct, you can convert your sq3 modules to sq4. Some modules may not work--especially if you're running 64-bit porteus. With that as my segue, I have a couple more questions for you --

What version of Porteus are you running? I'm assuming version 0.9, rather than version 1.0 (currently in testing/beta). 32-bit or 64?

For your wireless, please try opening a terminal and running the command 'pns-tool' without the quotes. Your wireless card may already be detected by the kernel. Follow the script, and let us know if that gets your wireless up and running. If not, let us know what information it gives you. Also, if it fails, enter the command 'lspci' and post the output here.

Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

gsthompson277
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by gsthompson277 » 07 Mar 2011, 23:26

Yes I am currently running .9 on 64 bit system. I will run the two commands and then post my results and let you know. Thank you very much for your support.

Posted after 2 hours 19 minutes 1 second:
I met with no success under the pns-tool. My keyboard display shows that my wifi is disabled and I could not use the key to enable it. The information I received under the LSPCI tool. I received the following information:

Network Controller: REALTEK SEMICONDUCTOR CO, LTD Device 8171 (Rev 02)

Ethernet Controller: RTL8101E / RTL8102E PCI EXPRESS FAST ETHERNET CONROLLER (REV 02)

I tried configuring under Eth0 and Wlan0 and got nothing both times. I would like to not the my actual device driver under Windows 7 Ultimate is an :"RTL8191SE" of which I do have the drivers for Linux in a .tar file.

Thank you in advance for the helpd.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#5 by Ahau » 08 Mar 2011, 03:00

obk, so take this post with a grain of salt, because I don't have much experience myself with hardware issues (I'm only a moderator here because the admins realized early on that they couldn't get rid of me, and I'm pretty handy in a street fight).

Two methods for you:

1) you could try using the windows driver via ndiswrapper. See the FAQ (item 10) in the 64-bit section for more info.

2) you can compile the linux driver in the tarball. See the tutorial here: http://www.techonia.com/install-wifi-dr ... 91se-linux

That tutorial may work for you 'out of the box' if you are using saved changes in porteus, but you're better off building a module with the driver, as saved changes are prone to corruption if saved directly to a FAT or NTFS partition.

To build a module, you'll need to follow the tutorial up through 'make install', and then copy the driver, which will be in /mnt/live/memory/changes/lib/modules/2.6.XX.smp/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ to a new directory that will serve as the root of the module. For example, on your desktop, make a directory 'wifidriver' (the path to this file will be /root/Desktop/wifidriver/). Inside this directory, you have to make nested directories that are the same as the path to where the driver goes in your system: lib/modules/2.6.XX.smp (copying what you get from the 'make install' process)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/).

Copy the driver from your live filesystem to the wireless directory you just made.

Then, you are ready to build a module from this directory. Open a console, and enter:
'cd /root/Desktop'
then:
'dir2lzm wifidriver wifidriver.lzm'

All, without the quotes.

That will create a module with the full path to the driver, and you can put that module in your /porteus/modules folder, so that it will be inserted into your filesystem at startup, even in 'always fresh' mode.

Maybe read through some of the module documentation on the website (porteus.org) first, to get an idea of how this process works.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free. If I have a chance tomorrow, I'll take a stab at building this module, and if I can get it to work, I'll upload it for you.

gsthompson277
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by gsthompson277 » 08 Mar 2011, 13:16

Thank you very much I have received more help and info in 48 hours here than I have in 2 months with SLAX. Alright I'll be working on and keep you posted on my progress.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#7 by Ahau » 08 Mar 2011, 18:52

Well, my input on compiling the driver from source is quite flawed. I've been working on it this morning, and there's a lot more to do, because porteus doesn't include the kernel source files. Try the ndiswrapper approach or see if you can find the linux driver as a pre-compiled binary somewhere...

gsthompson277
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by gsthompson277 » 08 Mar 2011, 19:38

Okay well I have the drivers from realtek for Linux in a .tar file so where do I go from there?

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#9 by beny » 08 Mar 2011, 20:18

You can download file at this link: Beny Repository
r8192se_pci.ko

Instructions:
Move the driver in : /lib/modules/2.6.37/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

Edited by Hamza , Reason : Some corrections with the synthax.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#10 by Ahau » 09 Mar 2011, 02:02

I figured out my problem--I hadn't downloaded and activated the crippled sources module, which inserts the kernel configuration files. Once I did that, make and make install ran fine (thanks for the help, Hamza, beny, and fanthom!).

I created a module for the driver, and will upload it tonight. That will allow you to use the driver from 'always fresh' mode. beny's method will work if you have saved changes enabled.

gsthompson277
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by gsthompson277 » 09 Mar 2011, 02:14

:wall: Okay not to sound like a total retard, but do I have to create those direcotires but I cannot find them on my flash drive I have two directories boot and porteus I have explored both folders no lib anywhere.
So yes I need more help Sorry.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#12 by Ahau » 09 Mar 2011, 06:04

once I have a module up, it will go in /poerteus/modules on your usb stick.

For beny's file, you would copy it into your live filesystem, with saved changes. So you would boot into porteus, open dolphin (file manager), and navigate through /usr/...to the specified folder, and paste the file.

It takes a little getting used to, because you have two worlds -- the files that create the live system (modules, saved changes, and rootcopy) and the live system itself. You'll get there :)

Posted after 3 hours 39 minutes 39 seconds:
here's the module:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gx8npygo2ymauy8
download that, and move it to the folder on your flash drive: /porteus/modules/

this can be done from windows or linux.

modules that are put in /porteus/base makeup the files that are used to build porteus at each bootup. Any add-on modules that should be inserted every time you boot up (like drivers or modules with config files, or applications you always want) go in /porteus/modules/, and modules that you want to have available but not always active (such as applications you don't use that often) go in /porteus/optional.

At startup, porteus will find this module and insert it into the system. When it configures your hardware, it should pick up on this driver and load it for your card. Once you've booted up, run the command 'lsmod' in a console to check and see if this module is loaded. If so, you should be in business. Run pns-tool or wicd to configure your connection. If this fails, let us know.

gsthompson277
White ninja
White ninja

Post#13 by gsthompson277 » 09 Mar 2011, 14:47

okay its sounds good please keep me posted on where to download the module, where to download and how to install. Thank you for all your help.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#14 by Ahau » 09 Mar 2011, 15:43

You can download it from the mediafire link in my last post, and install per my instructions that follow after the link. Just download the module and put it in /porteus/modules.

gsthompson277
White ninja
White ninja

Post#15 by gsthompson277 » 09 Mar 2011, 22:03

My wifi now shows as enabled on my keyboard. I do get an error message though "could not get status from WPA-Supplicant." The scan never finds any networks. This is progress though so I am happy.