lxde and razorqt merger

Non release banter
freestyler
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus XFCE

lxde and razorqt merger

Post#1 by freestyler » 26 Apr 2014, 01:15

I read about the merger between lxde and razorqt. Looks really promising.
“…we have decided that the best course of action for both projects is to focus on a single desktop environment, instead of two.
There have been talks of ‘merging’ ever since LXDE-Qt was announced. Having taken the decision to collaborate, we’ve all had the pleasure of working together already.
Our plan is to cherry-pick the best parts of Razor and LXDE and include or port those to LXDE-Qt. Other components will be ported straight from GTK code or rewritten from scratch. In the end, we want to offer the best possible experience while reusing as much code as possible.”
Well they got my attention
https://www.porteus-apps.org

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: lxde and razorqt merger

Post#2 by fanthom » 26 Apr 2014, 02:51

yes - the plan is to drop Razor and LXDE from our Desktop selections and go with lxqt.
this rather wont happen for Porteus-3.1 but hopefully LXQT will be mature enough for next major version of our distro.

Porteus 4.0 should be an interesting release especially from Qt desktops point of view: KDE 5.x and LXQT :)
in the mean time would be nice if someone from the community could start playing with it in the 'Community Effort' section so i could get some help when we start working on 4.0. i guess that squeezing KDE5 into 200MB ISO will be the most time consuming task (if it's possible at all). LXQT should be bit easier to do :)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

freestyler
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus XFCE

Re: lxde and razorqt merger

Post#3 by freestyler » 26 Apr 2014, 03:11

Yeah Im looking forward to the next few Porteus releases. Fitting kde5 into under 200mb will defiantly be a mission.
I already complied lxde-qt this morning, I couldn't wait. Just having a little prob with libfm. I will post a module once I get it working
https://www.porteus-apps.org