Feedback for "Why porteus.org was suspended?" announcement.

Non release banter
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Re: Feedback for "Why porteus.org was suspended?" announceme

Post#31 by Rava » 21 Apr 2014, 14:01

@rayyu & Dave99

All that could be solved when we offer, in addition to the then pay for wizard, a solution that creates the iso on the user's system...

And why not tell the user that (s)he already needs a running Porteus for that? The main distribution, like the ones on ponce.cc/porteus can be used so that any user has already a running Porteus, then a local wizard like script can download and compile the wanted ISO locally...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Post#32 by sean » 21 Apr 2014, 14:42

There ya go! Compiled from all the above ideas.

Must download one .iso first,

activate it (harddrive, USB drive, or CD), then use it for,

unlimited use of the wizard app via local scripting supplied with each .iso.

Sean

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#33 by tome » 21 Apr 2014, 20:12

From my point of view iso image is only needed for very new users - difficult to install and configure bootloader, furthermore pendrives are more popular than CDs now.
For user like me (that doesn't download iso) more useful would be links to ponce.cc/porteus/i486 and /x86_64 on top website - more visible, and extracted vmlinuz, initrd.xz, cheatcodes.txt, sgnfile and porteus.cfg or all boot folder (for syslinux install) from iso to server. Next could be link with instructions (XP - ntldr, WIN7 - bootmgr, grub2, grub legacy) that doesn't make any changes to mbr and last could be link for instructions that install bootloader to mbr (syslinux, grub2, grub4dos, lilo).

Wizard could generate only settings.xzm (some cheatcodes could be replaced by config files) and give link for existing iso image on server (arch, desktop) without creating new customized large image.

Another solution for wizard could be generate links: (1) little bootable iso image + (2) link to needed files/folders tree + link to settings.xzm.

(1) - isolinux -> grub4dos (ca 1 MB; KERNEL grub.exe; --config-file=/menu.lst)
Wizard question: give me path where you will save downloaded porteus folder and files within (keep folders tree like on server)
User answer: C:/test-porteus (/mnt/sda3/test-porteus)
Modified menu.lst (porteus.lst) file by wizard:
find --set-root /test-porteus/porteus/vmlinuz
kernel /test-porteus/porteus/vmlinuz from=/test-porteus (+wizard cheatcodes)
initrd /test-porteus/porteus/initrd.xz
Eventually modified supergrubdisk.iso (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/d ... kdownload/) to add porteus searching entries.
This iso should be only help for new users that can't configure bootloader.
(2) link to $arch/porteus/
porteus/
porteus/vmlinuz
porteus/initrd.xz
porteus/sgnfile
porteus/base/
porteus/base/000-kernel.xzm
Advantage of this is that new user will see basic information how it works and how it is simple.
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#34 by Ed_P » 21 Apr 2014, 22:45

tome wrote:From my point of view iso image is only needed for very new users - difficult to install and configure bootloader, furthermore pendrives are more popular than CDs now.
I agree pendrives are more popular than CDs now, especially with so many machines not having CD drives, but that IMO increases the need for the ISO image. The size of modern flash drives allows them to hold more than a single OS and Windows doesn't support access to multiple partitions on removable drives so for compatibility you get one OS per flash drive. But that leads to having a pocket full of flash drives, one for Porteus, one for Windows 7 32-bit Recovery, one for Windows 7 64-bit Recovery, one for Windows 8 64-bit Recovery, one for BartPE, etc. And that gets old pretty quick. It's much easier to use one flash drive, one boot loader, I use grub4DOS, and one set of ISOs for all the OSs you need to run.

It is also easier to try different systems and different versions of the same system. I still have my ISOs for Porteus 1.2, 2.0, and 2.1 that I can boot on the same flash drive.

So while ISOs may not be for everyone I think they are more popular than you realize.
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#35 by Rava » 22 Apr 2014, 06:30

@tome

Good post, I fully agree, on the way it could be handled without customized ISO's, and about that nowadays USB pendrives are the thing, and usually no one uses ISO's and burnt CDs anymore.

(I also just download the iso from ponce.cc to have the main base for my pendrive installation... but a good compressed tar file, e.g. tar.bz or tar.7z would be the better alternative doing so... :) )
Cheers!
Yours Rava

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#36 by donald » 22 Apr 2014, 09:12

au contraire
Iso is the common Filetype for OS Downloads everywhere.Easy to burn / install
onto cd/dvd or flash (isohybrid).
And you have to check only 1 File for its integrity.(md5/sha)

I still prefer to burn a customized CD whenever possible for one reason:
The CD can not be manipulated if I have to leave the Room for 5 min.

regards

44th
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: v2.1 x64

Post#37 by 44th » 23 Apr 2014, 00:25

Easy way:
1) Make TWO (x32 and x64) ISO files with ALL main modules (if user don't know what he want...).
2) "BitTorrent is a protocol supporting the practice of peer-to-peer file sharing that is used to distribute large amounts of data over the Internet."

Cool way:
1) Make TWO base ISO files.
2) Use UMS to add other base modules.

Coolest way: create HappyPorteDev - "anonymous beer delivery service"! :beer:

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#38 by Rava » 23 Apr 2014, 15:37

44th wrote:Easy way:
1) Make TWO (x32 and x64) ISO files with ALL main modules (if user don't know what he want...).
That would get the user a system with at least 5 different X variants... and me thinks that this is also not what a user wants... Do we have a screenshot gallery that shows the user at least 2 screenshots of each desktop and what the look and feel is when (s)he choose that one?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#39 by Ed_P » 23 Apr 2014, 20:03

Rava wrote:Do we have a screenshot gallery that shows the user at least 2 screenshots of each desktop and what the look and feel is when (s)he choose that one?
Actually I like that idea a lot but wish it was available before choosing one. When I was curious of other desktops I downloaded the whole ISO to see it I would like it. A screen shot or two of their desktops would have saved some bandwidth for both of us. Yes I know there is the http://www.porteus.org/info/screens.html page but it's not clear which desktops are being displayed. 110303_* doesn't tell me anything. And this doesn't help either http://www.porteus.org/screenshots/porteus32.jpg. Is it Razor or KDE or LCD?

The information I think is there, its just not presented well enough for new users, and even some who have been here awhile.
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#40 by brokenman » 24 Apr 2014, 01:14

Thanks Ed_p I will update the screenshots when I get a chance. I'm going to remove all the current screenshots from the screenshot page and put something a little more obvious about which screenshot is which.

Thanks to everybody else that offered suggestions. This thread demonstrates a 'coming together' of the community in order to solve a problem. There were some great ideas.

So we have come to a decision. The solution does not limit users and the current system stays intact. I can quote numerous people stating that the web wizard is great and makes life simple. It opens Porteus to ALL users including other platforms. We don't really want to limit this. To that end, we have created a 'Hosting bounty 2014' on the Porteus wishlist which we will use to generate the funds required to purchase a server for 12 months. Our target is $600. We may also introduce a popup ad requiring you to enter a captcha in order to complete the build. This should stop any bot builds and also help towards the target funding.

Your donations will go towards keeping Porteus free and unlimited by hosting your favorite distro on a dedicated server from which we can improve our services offered. If you can't donate then please consider using the Duckduckgo search area built into our browsers. This also contributes towards our hosting. Onward and upward.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

freestyler
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus XFCE

Post#41 by freestyler » 24 Apr 2014, 03:11

That sounds like a great solution to me, I do like the bounty system, It reminds me of these guys called "the lazy beggers" http://lazybeggers.com. They would set up different baskets for different donations, one for Food, Wine, Joints, Cocaine, etc. People got to choose what the donations are for and see it happen which makes it fun.
https://www.porteus-apps.org

tome
Contributor
Contributor

Post#42 by tome » 24 Apr 2014, 19:55

Ed_P
Porteus SE (extracted ISO) doesn't need new partition (pendrive) to boot, PartBE probably also, Porteus Kiosk Edition needs new one.

Rava
Xzm modules are already compressed with high ratio so next compression has no sense - iso archive is the best for this - you can burn and extract it, in contrast to tar.bz and tar.7z.

donald
The CD can not be manipulated (ones writable) but I don't think that users boot CD for every day computer use. The same security give you mechanical write protect switcher on some PQI pendrives. And ISO image is easier to change/brake than its content - xzm modules on writable disks.

Maybe many users generate new iso images in wizard only because they need have settings.xzm module.
For Porteus better qualification is copy/download and run than install. It is great and beautiful - system that you don't need to install. And this way is quicker to test various DE than burning few unneeded CDs.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#43 by Rava » 24 Apr 2014, 20:30

tome wrote:Rava
Xzm modules are already compressed with high ratio so next compression has no sense - iso archive is the best for this - you can burn and extract it, in contrast to tar.bz and tar.7z.
Then let's include a script to easily extract and create the thumb stick...

For all OSes, of course, at least for WindozeTM and Linux...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#44 by donald » 25 Apr 2014, 00:55

@tome
yep, nowadays laptops don't have a dvd-drive anymore.....because an usb socket
is so much cheaper. And the media industry is smiling...hey kiddies, no more easy copying of audio-cds, video-dvds or Games....got it?
(Please stay away with mp3 or ogg from HiFi-Equipment.)

My I-net-Pc boots his OS complete in Ram from a perfect configured, (for my needs), 8 cm mini-cd....every Day new, fresh, and clean...no writable devices connected..

but maybe I'm an old, stubborn Dinosaur...

regards

tome
Contributor
Contributor

Post#45 by tome » 25 Apr 2014, 20:19

Rava
You can extract by this:
7z x my.iso -omy
I can't create this script, sometimes there are needed special tricks even for not extracted iso.