Non release banter
mbzadegan
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware - DragonflyBSD

2 Suggestions!

Post#1 by mbzadegan » 21 Dec 2013, 13:29

Hi everybody,
I'm new to PORTEUS and I have 2 suggestions about this excellent OS!

1. PORTEUS like Slackware will be better if have a complete offline PDF reference or tutarial.
2. PORTEUS will be better if have a cheatcode parameter that load last changes on Readonly mode.

:good: :Rose:

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: 2 Suggestions!

Post#2 by fanthom » 21 Dec 2013, 21:46

hi mbzadegan,
PORTEUS like Slackware will be better if have a complete offline PDF reference or tutarial.
porteus is still evolving so keeping this PDF up to date would be a challenge. there is FAQ included in the ISO so i would stick to it.
PORTEUS will be better if have a cheatcode parameter that load last changes on Readonly mode.
good idea - i have seen people renaming save.dat to save.dat.xzm and putting it into /porteus/modules but cheatcode is more comfortable as no renaming/moving is involved.
too late to implement in rc1 but will do for rc2 of upcoming Porteus-3.0.

thanks for your suggestions.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 22 Dec 2013, 12:56

1) Perhaps i can use the website backend to export a PDF and keep it on the server.
2) Excellent idea!
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#4 by tome » 22 Dec 2013, 15:34

1. Maybe link for download offline site version in zip archive or single html file https://github.com/gildas-lormeau/SingleFile. HTML is better than pdf because of word wrap. If someone has nothing on disk and want fresh install then he can move earlier this offline site to smartphone disk and open offline with normal size and without long lines.
2. Another "idea of idea" :) - more than one changes folder (changes1, changes2...5 or user specified), first day changes are saved to changes1, next day (week or ?) to changes2, if there is for example 5 cycles then sixth day changes from changes2 are moved to changes1 and changes2 is used to save, seventh day changes3 are moved to changes2 and changes3 is used to save session and so on. If this is good idea then problem can be with dat containers - it should have changes folder like for Unix file-systems (test if there is changes folder or old root tree) These changes1-5 would be like restore points for Windows.
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.