sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Email Thinking

Post#1 by sean » 20 Dec 2013, 14:26

Hi Friends, Happy Holidays to everyone!

Need some help with my email thinking.

I get very little email, in a heavy week maybe 15 to 25 messages. I have some local stores that email me their latest specials once a week. There are sometimes weeks where the specials are the only email.

I have always tried to be cautious about virus and malware coming local via email. Yes even though I have Linux.

Consequently I had always used Kshowmail, but now in the past 3 years or so am using Poptray Minus. (you may recall some posts of mine here in regard to Poptray Minus)

My email account is POP3, and so with Poptray Minus I can see when I have received mail at the mail.server, view the account and see where the mail is coming from, read it at the server level, and, in the event I don't want to download it with my mail client (Thunderbird), I can use Poptray Minus to delete selected emails at the mail.server.

With Porteus on a thumb drive in my pocket, and Poptray Minus installed, I can check and read my email anywhere I travel to. If I want to retreive the message later, I just let it be, and if I don't want it I can delete it right away.

I always thought this was a fairly smart way to handle any incoming email, thought it was a safe way to handle those messages. And I do regularly use it to delete some of those local advertisements. Now and then I delete suspicious messages.

My questions here are, am I missing something?
Why wouldn't more people use a program such as Poptray Minus or Kshowmail which does pretty much the same thing?
How do or would some of you handle viewing email at the mail.server level, and possibly deleting it there so it never comes into your system?

It is my understanding that with IMAP you are going to at least be downloading the message header onto you system, which is exactly why that route has not been taken here.

Anyway, I'm sure you don't have to be told I'm not the smartest Linux user, just wanted some input, thanks and enjoy the season,

Sean

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Re: Email Thinking

Post#2 by donald » 20 Dec 2013, 19:21

Hi sean
Since I only use Linux for PC's which are connected to the net.
I'm not scared anymore about "virus and malware coming local via email".
That is a windoze illness.
I'm sending/receiving very few emails, that's why I don't use a mail-program at all,
web-mail is good enough for me.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#3 by beny » 20 Dec 2013, 22:35

hi, you can use clamav for the scanning of email i use claws mail and it have a plugin that use clamav antivirus, i use xfce4 but clamav do not have a desktop environment,claw mails yes it is a gtk2 software

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 22 Dec 2013, 13:03

I log directly onto the server to read email (webmail) and if i don't want it i delete it or create a filter to automatically delete it. If i need a local copy i start up a local mail client which pulls all unread email. On Porteus i wouldn't give mail virii a second thought. Delete the suspicious ones and read the interesting ones in peace. Your current setup sounds like it is working fine. I would continue with it until one of the applications stops being developed.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Post#5 by sean » 24 Dec 2013, 13:15

Thanks, everyone for your kind answers. Since nothing is broken, I'll take brokenman's suggestion and put off any fixing until it may be needed.

Besides, 3.0-rc1 just arrived, dropped off by Santa Claus I do believe, and now I have something else to play with.

Happy Holidays to all !

Sean