[SOLVED] RazorQT, MATE, KDE, LXDE, XFCE - wich one choose?

Non release banter
nixlower0
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus v2.1 RazoQt

[SOLVED] RazorQT, MATE, KDE, LXDE, XFCE - wich one choose?

Post#1 by nixlower0 » 01 Sep 2013, 13:52

Hello forum-mates! I used some time Porteus, since version 1.2 . I'm very sorry I didn't tested 2.1, but now I'm ready to use it. So, my question is very simple - which desktop interface is better: RazorQT, MATE, KDE, LXDE or XFCE? I used most of them (excluding RazorQT). I know Mate is a Gnome2 fork or something like that, I liked and I'm using it as desktop environment on my Mint 13 (Ubuntu 12.04). LXDE and XFCE are lightweight and can be used on old PCs. KDE is nice looking "legend" with many effects, but needs more hardware resources. I don't know much about RazorQT, but I guess it was developed on Qt framework app and as I read on their site, it is good for old and weak machines.
So, now my choice is between Mate, LXDE, Xfce and Razor-Qt. I will use Porteus on different machines - new, old, weak, x64 bit and x32 bit. So, which desktop environment is better to choose in my case and why?
Thanks in advance for any answers and your time.
PS: BTW, I guess from module manager or package manager I can switch anytime to other desktop interface.
Last edited by nixlower0 on 01 Sep 2013, 14:52, edited 2 times in total.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: RazorQT, MATE, KDE, LXDE, XFCE - wich one choose?

Post#2 by francois » 01 Sep 2013, 14:21

I use xfce, kde and mate, they each have their personality. Porteus is fast whatever the desktop you may download, though I read that lxde and xfce seem faster and lower in ressources. Mate under porteus is quite fast, and you could ride it in root mode (thanks to brokenman), which is unusual for this gnome offspring. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could come with benchmark measures in terms of speed and resources strain.

What is interesting with 2.1 is that you can download separately from the system the different desktop environments and change them at will depending on how you feel, see specific modules for DE:

32 bit:
http://dl.porteus.org/i486/current/modules/
64bit:
http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/current/modules/

You can get a tailored porteus os system thru the build porteus hyperlink:
http://build.porteus.org/

2.1 comes also with a printing package, as you can see in the modules, which makes porteus a complete distribution, though so small in size. All you have to do is to install it in frugal mode on your hdd.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

nixlower0
Black ninja
Black ninja

Re: RazorQT, MATE, KDE, LXDE, XFCE - wich one choose?

Post#3 by nixlower0 » 01 Sep 2013, 14:52

nixlower0 wrote:What is interesting with 2.1 is that you can download separately from the system the different desktop environments and change them at will depending on how you feel...
That's nice!
francois wrote:2.1 comes also with a printing package, as you can see in the modules, which makes Porteus a complete distribution, though so small in size. All you have to do is to install it in frugal mode on your hdd.
Also the printing package can be useful, I didn't noticed that previous version haven't printing function. Oh, and now you can install it on HDD like a regular distribution (I mean, previous versions of Porteus were not recommended for HDD install, if I'm not wrong).
Thanks for your answers. This topic can be closed as my questions were solved.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: [SOLVED] RazorQT, MATE, KDE, LXDE, XFCE - wich one choos

Post#4 by francois » 01 Sep 2013, 15:06

Porteus has always been possible under what is called the frugal install or hdd install. See faq:
http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/26-gen ... rd%20Drive

My way of installing it is with grub legacy with the grubconfig tool:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=946

But if you search with google porteus frugal install you might find other ways to do so. :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

nixlower0
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by nixlower0 » 11 Oct 2013, 19:59

Only one think I need to add (maybe it was obvious, but not for me), on 'porteus.cfg' file you need to choose only one desktop manager at once. My error was trying to add many desktops at same time (RazorQt, Mate, XFCE and LXDE). Maybe it should be on Newbies How-To or FAQ.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 11 Oct 2013, 20:44

Thanks nixlower0,

This is not so obvious and I can understand how you made this mistake since it was only something we recently changed after a community poll about how many desktops people use. The overall consensus is that people usually use only one desktop and stick to it. This allowed us to implement the web wizard among other things. I'll put a 'newbies guide to Porteus' under the website documentation on my TODO list.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

nixlower0
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#7 by nixlower0 » 18 Oct 2013, 18:59

@brokenman, thanks! I hope this will help other newbies no commit my error.