Mate build sources

Non release banter
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Mate build sources

Post#1 by Jack » 29 Aug 2013, 19:31

I would like to know how I can download this, here is the link " https://github.com/mateslackbuilds/msb "? I just want to see if I can build it or not. I'm not trying or going to change anything in Porteus Mate. I just want to bring back my memory from a long time ago and at 65 year old i want to help myself to get better so I could try and help other. So any help would be great.

Jack
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Mate build sources

Post#2 by brokenman » 30 Aug 2013, 01:04

Hi Jack. There are two ways to do this. Using the git program is probably the best because when they make updates to the tree you can 'pull' the updates easily. The other way is to open that link you typed and on the right side there is a link to download the .zip file of the repository. Unzip this file and you have the source code ready to roll. There are two scripts in the root of the folder that will 'auto build' MATE but I would recommend opening them only to see the build order and then manually going in and building each one just to see how they run. You will most certainly need other build dependencies to successfully build the source. Just run the slackbuild file with: sh name.SlackBuild

Now to get the source using git you first need to install the git program. You can get this using slackyd. After installing it change into the directory that you want to store the source code and run: git clone https://github.com/mateslackbuilds/msb.git mate-slackbuilds

In the future if there are updates you can simply move into the mate-slackbuilds folder and run: git pull
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.