Porteus linux on the net or on the waves of the web

Non release banter
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#286 by francois » 28 Mar 2023, 21:23

@Ed:
In fact, as written at the begining of my post:
I am unable to post the following review of porteus on distrowatch review section:

Are you able to post something on that site?

@rava:
Thanks for the useful comment.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Post#287 by nanZor » 09 Nov 2023, 23:57

Distrowatch (Jesse Smith) did a recent feature-story of 5.01 with LXQT. Overall positive, but with several ways to install and run Porteus, you never know the full story (like reading the usb-install docs) which can reduce problems.

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issu ... 06#porteus

Of course, many think Porteus is only for "older" machines, but that is very much NOT the case after spending time with it on modern machines!
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#288 by Rava » 10 Nov 2023, 00:47

Nice review. Thanks for the heads up.

I think we should incorporate that into the wikipedia article about Porteus - when distrowatch.com reviews are seen as "reliable sources", the rules on wikipedia can be very tricky :crazy: , especially when one variant (en.wikipedia.org) differs in major regards of what is acceptable to insert as source than others (when compared to e.g. de.* it.* fr.* es.* variant of wikipedia :crazy: )
nanZor wrote:
09 Nov 2023, 23:57
Of course, many think Porteus is only for "older" machines, but that is very much NOT the case after spending time with it on modern machines!
Well, you never change what some people think; some will stick to old erroneous believes and refuse to see that stuff has changed - or was never true to begin with.
Example: You could hardly compare Slax Remix V0.8 to Porteus 5.01 and state both are the same when it comes to the most recent hardware that was not developed for years at the time Slax Remix V0.8 got released - and your sole reasoning for that is that Porteus started as Slax Remix. Circular reasoning much?

Added in 31 minutes 41 seconds:
This part of the review
Porteus did not boot on my laptop, the same laptop I successfully used to test Slackware Linux 15.0 (the parent of Porteus). A little investigation revealed that Porteus was unable to boot in UEFI mode on the laptop. When I tested Porteus in VirtualBox with UEFI mode enabled, the distribution could not boot in the virtual machine either, it ran in Legacy BIOS mode only. As I mentioned, Slackware works on the same laptop so its child distro failing to boot was a surprise.
is quite unfortunate. :(
Cheers!
Yours Rava

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun

Post#289 by nanZor » 10 Nov 2023, 02:39

Yeah, I'm running in UEFI mode right now with no problems, so reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I kind of like how Lubuntu changed their mission statement a few years back - instead of being pigeon-holed as being good for "old computers", they are just doing what works for them. Modern machine or an old one where you can only run one tab in a browser etc. It's up to the end-user to decide what's good or not for them and either change distros, or adjust their operating habits to suit.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#290 by Ed_P » 10 Nov 2023, 03:33

Rava wrote:
10 Nov 2023, 01:19
This part of the review
Porteus did not boot on my laptop, the same laptop I successfully used to test Slackware Linux 15.0 (the parent of Porteus). A little investigation revealed that Porteus was unable to boot in UEFI mode on the laptop. When I tested Porteus in VirtualBox with UEFI mode enabled, the distribution could not boot in the virtual machine either, it ran in Legacy BIOS mode only. As I mentioned, Slackware works on the same laptop so its child distro failing to boot was a surprise.

is quite unfortunate.
Hopefully you responded to the review and noted the drive needs to be formatted FAT32 with the /EFI folder on it to boot in UEFI mode.
Ed

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun

Post#291 by nanZor » 10 Nov 2023, 05:08

Hi Ed, I'll let someone else make that suggestion. :)

We've come full circle over the decades. One always needed a "burner" of some sort to put an iso on CD or USB. You never dragged a file directly to the target drive. Most in windows don't realize one can mount the Porteus iso, and drag the mounted directories to a fat32 stick! For a lot of OG's, this is not intuitive. :)

I remember freaking out when I saw that Porteus was easy to install - after reading the usb install directions... and then Gparted Live, and a couple others too! What, no dd, no "burner" necessary? Just drag-n-drop the files! Heresy! :worthy:

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#292 by Rava » 10 Nov 2023, 06:49

Ed_P wrote:
10 Nov 2023, 03:33
Hopefully you responded to the review and noted the drive needs to be formatted FAT32 with the /EFI folder on it to boot in UEFI mode.
No, I have no account on that site.

I wrote an email, but about the man pages, not about that issue.

But feel free to write her/him an email about the UEFI mode / drive formatted FAT32 with the /EFI folder on it...

nanZor wrote:
10 Nov 2023, 05:08
I remember freaking out when I saw that Porteus was easy to install - after reading the usb install directions... and then Gparted Live, and a couple others too! What, no dd, no "burner" necessary? Just drag-n-drop the files! Heresy! :worthy:
Not heresy but efficient use of what is available and what works. :)

And the best thing is: once you have a working boot media (be it an external harddrive or an external USB thumbdrive) you can add porteux to porteus, or vice versa. And you can have several different kernels, OS versions (P4.0, P5.0, P5.01, P3.22 - whatever floats your boat) when you use unique folder names, e.g this is my sda1:

Code: Select all

guest@rava:/mnt/sda1$ ls -d boot Porteus_*/ porteus/
Porteus_4.0/    Porteus_5.0base/            Porteus_5.0rc3b/  Porteus_5.0rc3o/
Porteus_4.0b/   Porteus_5.0c/               Porteus_5.0rc3d/  Porteus_5.0rc3x/
Porteus_5.0.1/  Porteus_5.0d/               Porteus_5.0rc3e/  Porteus_5.0rc3z/
Porteus_5.0/    Porteus_5.0rc1/             Porteus_5.0rc3f/  Porteus_Nemesis/
Porteus_5.0N/   Porteus_5.0rc2/             Porteus_5.0rc3g/  boot
Porteus_5.0a/   Porteus_5.0rc3_2021-11-13/  Porteus_5.0rc3k/  porteus/
Porteus_5.0b/   Porteus_5.0rc3a/            Porteus_5.0rc3m/
Not all are functional, and most use symlinks to other drives or to one older Porteus_*/ folder. My sda1 was the SM-witless-7 boot partition and is therefore only 1.5 GB of size, not enough to have a full Porteus system in each of these folders, but with symlinks I have free space to spare:

Code: Select all

guest@rava:/mnt/sda1$ df -Tm .
Filesystem     Type 1M-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1      ext4      1443   855       497  64% /mnt/sda1
:)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#293 by francois » 14 Nov 2023, 17:03

The main review on distrowatch is not bad. But most of those reviewing porteus miss some important aspect of our product. For example, the browser selection tool is a great tool misunderstood: you have the choice of your browser and not this distribution has no browser.

Also, once built modules are present in the the /tmp folder, and not in the /modules folder. Maybe we should have a feature after building a module as to dumping it into the /porteus/modules, /porteus/optional or /tmp folders.

Also, some dude are not able to get slapt-get or gslapt to function. :evil:

Best review ever was written by fulalas. I do not understand that most reviewer cannot find and read that review before writing heretic conclusions about Porteus.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#294 by Ed_P » 14 Nov 2023, 20:55

francois wrote:
14 Nov 2023, 17:03
Also, once built modules are present in the the /tmp folder, and not in the /modules folder. Maybe we should have a feature after building a module as to dumping it into the /porteus/modules, /porteus/optional or /tmp folders.
Or Offering the modules in /porteus/modules or optional instead of /tmp (Post by Ed_P #97208)
Ed