Compiling Custom Kernel

Non release banter
Kartweel
White ninja
White ninja

Compiling Custom Kernel

Post#1 by Kartweel » 20 May 2013, 14:18

Hi,

I'm trying to compile a custom kernel using the Ubuntu Raring sources.

Why?

Long story short. I want to use ZFS with Porteus. But in all versions since 1.0 it doesn't work correctly. I get strange write buffering issues which basically hangs the system for up to a minute or two if you do a largish file copy or any heavy disk IO. It seems the most common kernel used in the zfs on linux forums is the ubuntu raring kernel. So I figured I'd try and compile that for porteus and see if ZFS behaves better.

So I also figured I should start with the Ubuntu kernel config (and not the default porteus kernel config). But I can't get it to boot. It can't find the porteus .sgn file, so I figure it can't find the device.

Now The ubuntu raring kernel already appears to have aufs patched in (but it is under Ubuntu 3rd Party supplied drivers, not under filesystem).

Anyway, before I start digging too deep (maybe I just don't have the correct device driver selected) is there any reason why what I am doing wouldn't work? (Disregarding the ZFS stuff)

In the kernel I've selected (built in) fuse, aufs & squashfs with xz support

Thanks, Ryan

Kartweel
White ninja
White ninja

Re: Compiling Custom Kernel

Post#2 by Kartweel » 20 May 2013, 16:17

So, I checked and it is finding the hdd, partitions sda1 and sda2 are detected, I can see it at boot.

Before it can't find the porteus signature file I get the line:

mount: mounting none on /dev failed: No such device

So anything I am missing in my kernel config that would be causing this? I guess I should try and boot a non-porteus system to narrow down if it is just a kernel/driver missing or something, or something porteus related.

Thanks, Ryan

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 20 May 2013, 16:33

hi Ryan,

devtmpfs is not compiled into your kernel, should be:

Code: Select all

CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
in case of further troubles please upload your config to pastebin.com and i'll fix it.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Kartweel
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by Kartweel » 21 May 2013, 01:47

Thanks!.. What awesome support :) It did the trick. I haven't compiled a kernel for a few years, so I'm not up with the latest.