Non release banter
Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Loosing track

Post#1 by Bicephale » 20 Feb 2013, 08:35

Salutations everyone,

This summer i thought i was going to get a great deal of satisfaction by trying Linux on my legacy machines but then, in an effort to include modern interfaces such as SATA and WiFi, euh... Well, i just managed to destroy the hardware instead!! What's left picks up dust since then because this has been an unsettling episode for me: i've been unable to obtain proper quotes from local computer stores relatively to a modern machine as well, all i have is an HP thing fitting somewhere between DOS and Win7 without much of the fun. Hence my Linux sessions rarified radically as a result - plus i'm not getting any younger.

Yet i welcome the arrival of the new Porteus release, of course! Thank you for that! I may not try it tonight but that will come soon.

Sorry for my consistent lack of contribution.

:oops:

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Loosing track

Post#2 by brokenman » 20 Feb 2013, 12:55

Good to see you around in any case. The door is always open for you.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Re: Loosing track

Post#3 by Bicephale » 03 Mar 2013, 13:42

Salutations Brokenman,

Thanks for the warm response.

There's a legacy PC at my present location and it's built the way i like them (for the most part). It's a dual Pentium (2 separate CPUs) 800 Mhz 1 Gb RAM machine with SoundBlaster sound, WiFi (ath9k), CD/single-layer DVD/IDE drives and Flash media. E.g. no SATA/USB-3, as one can imagine... I should be able to evaluate it before i leave my folk's home town again.

The .ISO image-files are on disk and i'm writing this using porteus v2.0 with KDE (Razor-Qt). Protected WPA/WPA2 connection didn't cause me concerns, CD burning appears to be OKay, etc. In short i'm glad i have something handy to go on without depending on some infamous Redmond virus!...

8)

In other words Porteus saves my day today. I like that!

:D