References and links on the porteus forum

Non release banter
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

References and links on the porteus forum

Post#1 by francois » 15 Nov 2012, 22:58

This thread is to address the porteus forum policy concerning references and hyperlink on the porteus forum. I think this point needs discussion and/or clarifications. In the following lines, I do not pretend to have the exclusive property on wisdom, :wink: but usually rules generally accepted everywhere should be applied here to make life simple.

Postulate: It is understood that the langage of communication on the porteus forum is english, except on the subforums reserved for the different langages.
Subforums for langages exists for many langages, you can find them here:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewforum.php?f=52

The need for this thread is to settle what is a reference and what is an hyperlink and if they could be in the main forum (the english one) although the reference is in another langage.

In the general litterature and in the scientific litterature, it is the rule to refer to sources directly whatever the langage it was written into. In fact, it often happens that some reference material (in a specific arrangement, in a its spirit or in its precedence) is in a langage other than english. It is this way cited as is, in that other langage. What is most important is that the source is cited. This is often alluded as the authors rights (in french `le droit d'auteur`).

Usually to compensate for the foreign author reference, in the main text of a book or of a thread, the essential or the content of the reference or link is explained shortly or extensively in that post (here in the porteus forum in english) depending on the author's preference.

Please let us know your your advice with all its subtleties on how you think references or hyperlinks should be manage on porteus forum? :Rose:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: References and links on the porteus forum

Post#2 by Hamza » 15 Nov 2012, 23:20

Thanks for making this thread, maybe this may help other users to understand common sense that is living in porteus forum.

The rule is simple. All links that points to non-English forums must be posted with notice that the resource that may be found at this link is not written in English. We'll never edit/move your post if we're sure you know what you're doing and you know the rules and respects them. We're only moving/merging threads to correct place when User doesn't know how to do it or if he doesn't even know he has posted on wrong place. We have a recent example with Fanthom that removed a thread because the original poster has understood his mistakes and made another similar thread in correct place. He didn't knew how to remove his thread so we (Fanthom in this case) helped him a little.

One good example:
Here, http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 100#p11156, Fanthom has removed double topic made by Tonio as he was unable to do it himself.

Thor approved Fanthom's action and thanked him, http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 100#p11157

Thanks!
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#3 by Ahau » 15 Nov 2012, 23:46

My own take on this is fairly relaxed in a general sense. I think that original authors should be credited via backlinks or easily googleable references. In the specific case in question ( a link to a french subforum with a module that provided applications in french instead of english), I think it would be good to mention that the link refers to such a thing, but I don't view it as a violation of rules, just a common courtesy. With the advent of google translate, it's possible for most of us to get a decent understanding of foreign texts.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#4 by Hamza » 16 Nov 2012, 23:39

My own take on this is fairly relaxed in a general sense.
You killed me ! :D
NjVFQzY2Rg==