Porteus & Slabix

Non release banter
ariszlo
Ronin
Ronin

Porteus & Slabix

Post#1 by ariszlo » 08 Jan 2011, 20:30

Is there cooperation between the two projects?

I am running Slax-Remix 0.9 on a usb key with
http://www.slabix.org/modules/sq4/jre-6 ... hz.sq4.lzm and
http://www.slabix.org/modules/sq4/openo ... hz.sq4.lzm
in /mnt/pendrive/slax/modules

Java passes the test at
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
and OpenOffice.org seems to be running fine.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Porteus & Slabix

Post#2 by francois » 09 Jan 2011, 05:12

Googling for slabix, I found very few information about the project. I don't really know what it could be.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 09 Jan 2011, 06:55

Slabix is made by ahz and bases on some Porteus components (kernel for sure). I think that Mr Armin should introduce himself and tell us little bit more about his project. He revealed some info on slax forum in the past, but would be nice to have it also here :)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

ariszlo
Ronin
Ronin

Post#4 by ariszlo » 09 Jan 2011, 09:09

fanthom wrote: He revealed some info on slax forum in the past,..
Thanks for the tip. This is what I have found:
http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=vi ... ostid21124

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#5 by wread » 09 Jan 2011, 23:01

To find the right name for a light powerful distro is not an easy task. Porteus dosen't sound "sticky" enough to me. I registered two hours ago and I had already forgotten that name. Latin Porta means "door", eu for Euro and us for dollar, that is my new nemotechnic rule.

Although Slabix has the termination of unix, slab is a 2-dimensional structure to me.

Both names are no good, I am sorry.......
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#6 by Tonio » 10 Jan 2011, 02:22

@wread

Like KSA_ARAB says in another thread, the name is not too important :), It is slackware live tracking slackware current with latest & greatest software. This is the key point. Welcome to porteus. Sorry you did not come in time to vote for the name :(

ahz
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#7 by ahz » 11 Jan 2011, 08:00

Hello,

Slabix is/was a slax based projected, I started when slax was about version 5.1.7 or something. Its name is a mix of the words slax/slackware labview/laboratory and the mandatory ix. The name should give an impression of about what this project is: A compilation of tools an utilities to support students in my lectures, eg. emacs23 for C programming, or programming language LabVIEW by National Instruments, PaketTracer 5.1 by Cisco (only the localized inhouse version (sorry). New slabix versions from spring 2011 on also include gns3, the Graphical Network Simulator, a software similar to PaketTracer but with more clear "terms of condition" - its free!!!). Complete TexLive distro (will keep it in this way for simplified maintenance reasons) with latest Kile frontend and alternativly latest OpenOffice/LibreOfiice versions (so one can compare :-).
Some other compilers like Haskell or Java, some of my other projects (random number generation by soft and hardware and testing the sequences in order to find out about quality). Some of my favourite games like nethack or pioneers. Plus many more games I heard about and I think that they are interesting (because games on a live distro or an operating system in common is more attractive to test and look around). A large compilation of chess engines with the easy use TCL/Tk interface Chengo (_Ch_ess _Eng_ine _O_perator) programmed by me to play against them or let them play against each other. And of course some WLAN drivers I have to compile in order to give also brandnew notebooks network access.

I hope that the "owners" of porteus (fanthom, brokenman, blaze ...) have nothing against this project or its name (slabix is not a good name and maybe I will change it, I have a better idea). Of course everyone can download the latest version at www.slabix.org. I release two times a year: spring (march) and autumn (October). Many of the modules I listed above can easily be extracted from the ISO-image and some of them I publsh as "stand alone versions" from time to time.

Questions are welcome!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#8 by fanthom » 11 Jan 2011, 08:21

ofc you can use any name you want :)
Thanks for this wide explanation.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.