Porteus-1.2 feedback

Non release banter
secipolla
Ronin
Ronin

Re: Porteus-1.2 feedback

Post#16 by secipolla » 06 Jul 2012, 00:33

I've put it in my pendrive. :good:
I set a 'changes' cheat pointing to a porteus_changes.dat and noticed that it didn't create it at shutdown time.
Not sure, but shouldn't it create the file in case it doesn't exist (and the location is valid)?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#17 by brokenman » 06 Jul 2012, 00:43

Is kppp is not used anymore?
No it was removed when networkmanager was introduced.

the other option hangs after a few minutes
Which other option hangs?

shouldn't it create the file in case it doesn't exist (and the location is valid)?
No it won't create a file during boot for many reasons. It won't know what size save file you want or what file system you prefer. Please use the 'Porteus Settings Centre' to create a save file (supports encrypted savefiles) before editing your porteus.cfg file (or using a boot cheat).
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

back2future
White ninja
White ninja

Post#18 by back2future » 06 Jul 2012, 04:13

@ brokenman
thank you for quick reply

i edit "label kde" by adding autoexec=xconf;telinit~4 ( as my first post n sorry for google translate mistake ), because event using always fresh n text mode after a few minute it hang :(

pity with the omission will try mardi solution or :wall: for a few days

regards
Never like RTMF so.....
I RTFC instead ^_^

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#19 by brokenman » 06 Jul 2012, 12:29

Please post console output of: lscpi|grep VGA

I think you have an intel graphics chip right?

fortix
White ninja
White ninja

Post#20 by fortix » 06 Jul 2012, 13:00

Hi all, I want to remark that APU =(as per usual) it works OOTB. :Yahoo!:

Congrats to those, unlike myself, who spend their time doing what's necessary for porteus 1.2 x86_64 to work.

A question though: could we implement udev, let's say 175, or even better, udev 182 in the next release. Would be great.

Unlike some users, have'nt had any probs up till now, and if, so what, the porteus' forum is only a click away. :)

Keep up the good work.
fortix

konaexpress
White ninja
White ninja

Post#21 by konaexpress » 06 Jul 2012, 17:21

Hi, new guy here.

I don't have much to say but.......sweet job on this guys! I really like the package manager. I was not sure about the 1.1 version because of all the KDE apps but , what the heck, it's a keeper. :D

I'm going to have to see if I can get this on my netbook or at least on a USB/thumb drive. I like the LXDE on this distro, nice and fast. Any way to get EDE (Equinox) as a download for a real fast DE?

Like I said, I can't really say or help much but GREAT WORK on this! :Yahoo!:

-John

back2future
White ninja
White ninja

Post#22 by back2future » 07 Jul 2012, 05:33

@brokenman

This combination command that produces output in console
root@porteus:~# lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
root@porteus:~#
and this is part of the message log
Jul 6 03:50:55 porteus kernel: [ 30.332782] agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: detected 1024K stolen memory
Jul 6 03:50:55 porteus kernel: [ 30.333060] agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0x88000000
once again thank you for a quick reply sir.
rgd
jan
Never like RTMF so.....
I RTFC instead ^_^

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#23 by brokenman » 07 Jul 2012, 14:59

Thanks back2future. I assumed you had an intel chip ... problematic. I have one too on my dual graphics machine. Can you please try adding the latest xf86-video-intel package from slackware:
xf86-video-intel-2.17.0-i486-1

This was downgraded to fix a strange logout upon logout/login under trinity.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#24 by fanthom » 07 Jul 2012, 16:33

GullibleJones wrote: - The initscripts claim to run the DHCP client on all available interfaces. Not sure this is necessary, what with NetworkManager.
As for Flash, I think it might be a good idea to eventually tear it out
a) DHCP is still required in case when one boots with 000+001 only (no GUI). if 002-xorg.xzm is present then NM takes over the job.
for porteus-2.0 i can add non executable rc.inet1 to 002-xorg.xzm but must do decent testing first.
b) not sure about flash... it's still used almost everywhere. will see how lightspark advances with features.
fortix wrote: A question though: could we implement udev, let's say 175, or even better, udev 182 in the next release.
not sure which one but we definitely will stick to udev version used in Slackware-14.0 udev is too important to mess with it and Pat certainly knows what he is doing.
konaexpress wrote: Any way to get EDE (Equinox) as a download for a real fast DE?
please post module request for it in relevant forum section and with a bit of luck someone prepare it for you :wink:
brokenman wrote: Can you please try adding the latest xf86-video-intel package from slackware:
xf86-video-intel-2.17.0-i486-1
this package can't be taken from -current (different xorg-server ABI and glibc) and must be compiled on Porteus or Slackware-13.37.
do you still have the one compiled by me? if yes then pls upload somewhere, if not then i'll re-create it.

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

konaexpress
White ninja
White ninja

Post#25 by konaexpress » 07 Jul 2012, 19:52

please post module request for it in relevant forum section and with a bit of luck someone prepare it for you
oops,sorry! I guess I should have split this up.

-John

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#26 by brokenman » 07 Jul 2012, 22:02

this package can't be taken from -current (different xorg-server ABI and glibc) and must be compiled on Porteus or Slackware-13.37.
do you still have the one compiled by me? if yes then pls upload somewhere, if not then i'll re-create it.
Of course.
Download xf86-video-intel-2.17.0-i486-1.xzm here

att
Contributor
Contributor

Post#27 by att » 09 Jul 2012, 19:31

I just took a tiny glance at Porteus 1.2/64bit and it is lovely as usual! :Yahoo!:

The first thing I tried is to install it on a 32GB-USB-Stick, but I guess this is a too large stick.
SYSLINUX.EXE said it crashed... oops.
The stick has one partition which starts a bit "late", the first 19 MB are unused (maybe due to align it to 4k-sectors or something).
The partition type is FAT32.

So I tried a smaller USB-stick, and this worked as usual.

I also tried to run Teamviewer, but I miss the "compat32"-library in the 64bit-download section of the Porteus webpage.

So far, the Porteus works perfectly.... more testing ahead....

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Re: 64bit official Porteus repo bug reports

Post#28 by Rava » 10 Jul 2012, 07:23

Hope this is the right thread to report my issues with 1.2 finale, x86_64, XFCe edition.
It is not about any module, but more about the system as it is out of the box. (I did not find any other appropriate thread. Please move this post if there is a better place...)

Main Issue / Suspend
Suspend no longer works. First time I ran Porteus without the installed NVidia module, then I restarted the PC with the module, but the issue stayed the same: When I go into suspend, via the menu of XFCe / Log out / [Suspend], the PC goes into suspend, shuts down as it did with 1.2rc1 and 1.2rc2. The Power LED blinks to indicate it is in Suspend.
BUT when I click any key on the keyboard, the PC starts up (I hear the sound of the Coolers, et cetera), but the monitor won't switch on, it stays in "Power saving mode", aka, it gets no Video Signal. (That PC is currently the only one that is connected via DVI, all others have VGA attached.) The PC is running, or seems to be running, but the monitor won't show anything. And the Power LED of the PC is still blinking, as if it is still in Suspend.
All I can do now is press the Power Button for > 4 seconds to switch the PC off by force. Pressing the Power Button just once to let Porteus switch off securely won't work.
And the last strange thing: Even when the PC got shut down like that, the Power LED is still blinking, and I cannot switch on the PC, I first have to switch off it's power completely, wait till all its lights have faded out, only then I could start it again.
Then I tried it with the NVidia module installed, but with the very same result as above. Both times I started Porteus with Always Fresh/No changes saved mode...

Less severe issues: Terminal Font
The font in Terminal is unusable when running mc. See the screenshots as why:
Could not include the image by itself, phpBB says "Deine Bilder dürfen maximal 700 Pixel breit sein."
http://i50.tinypic.com/10rn7zc.png
http://i45.tinypic.com/n6peux.png
Ugly and unusable. I have to press "Ctrl+O twice to redraw the mc window, so that the long ???? of the menu go away... )

Terminal Behaviour: All new Tabs as "root"
Behaviour up to 1.2rc1 and 1.2rc2: When opening a new TAB in Terminal, the new tab would be the owned by user running X.
But in 1.2 XFCe finale, if the only Terminal that exists is "su" to root, the new Terminals also get root ptiviledge, without the need to give the password, and probably without the user wanting it to be root.

Mounting issue when running root-Thunar
When Thunar is running in root mode, and I plug in an USB Thumbdrive (fat32), a new root-Thunar opens. The ownership of the folder in /media/ is set to root.root and chmod to 0700.
Changing that via Thunar or Terminal (both as root) won't work, I cannot change the permission to 0755.
When I close all running root-Thunar, the vfat USB device is mounted as usually.
Is that a bug, or a feature?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

back2future
White ninja
White ninja

Post#29 by back2future » 10 Jul 2012, 10:49

@brokenman and fanthom

the x86 intel driver work.....

sekali lagi terima kasih pak

( sorry for writing in my language google translate crash 2 x )

regards
jan
Never like RTMF so.....
I RTFC instead ^_^

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#30 by Ahau » 10 Jul 2012, 18:19

@Rava, I've moved your post from the x86_64 repo bug thread to this location, as it seems more fitting, until we can confirm some of these as bugs. I'm still working on testing/reproducing your issues and will respond with more info later.

Posted after 59 minutes 56 seconds:
Ok Rava, I've had a look:

Suspend: Suspend/Resume is working fine here, also with an nvidia card (running nouveau), and no changes were made to the Xfce settings between 1.2RC2 and 1.2 Final. The only place else I can think are either you're somehow enabling slock (the screen locker) or perhaps there has been some regression in the latest Kernel. Please run 'psinfo' on this machine and upload the contents to pastebin.com and link here. Maybe we can find a bug report somewhere.

If your screen is getting locked by slock, it will turn the screen off, and when you move your mouse or touch the keyboard, the screen should turn back on but display only black. You then enter your current user's password to unlock the screen. Given your description (screen stays in suspended state), this probably isn't your problem but I thought it was worth a mention.

Terminal Font: I cannot reproduce this one, though I have experienced (and fixed) it before. What encoding did you select in Language-Selection-Tool? I tested this with utf8 (de_DE) and didn't have any trouble. I haven't tested with non-utf8, but will if that's what you use. Otherwise, please try booting with the 'base_only' cheatcode (and no changes=, which you've already said you aren't using) and let me know your steps to reproduce.

Terminal Behaviour: All new Tabs as "root": I can't reproduce this one, except for when I open Thunar as root from the Xfce menu, then right click in Thunar to open a Terminal. It works fine for me if I open Terminal as root from the menu or from the panel and then 'su' to root. If you're not opening it from root-Thunar, please provide me with the exact steps you take to open Terminal and reproduce this.

Mounting issue when running root-Thunar: this is a product of some changes I made to root-Thunar, which is now opened via dbus-launch (to resolve some bugs), coupled with some changes by fanthom to the default mount options. When you run root-Thunar from the menu, it's really like being root, and thunar mounts the drives as if you are root. Since guest user does not have the ability to modify drives mounted by root, this is why you're seeing the issue. Please boot with the 'mopt' cheatcode to resolve this behavior, and add 'users' to your mount options, e.g.: 'mopt=noatime,nodiratime,suid,dev,exec,users". You may have to read some documentation (man mount) for more info on the specifics.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!