Video preview of Porteus Settings Centre

Non release banter
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Video preview of Porteus Settings Centre

Post#16 by brokenman » 20 Jun 2012, 00:54

You will be happy to know that fanthom has already included an option in our boot menu to 'start from first hd'. I can create a one click USB installer for Porteus and for win if i ever get the time. I made one a long time ago for win (in lua) and will probably focus attention on it again for v2.

I guess a firewall in Porteus will give some windians a sense of security, for others it will be another useful tool. It depends on how you use Porteus, but no linux system is ever safe from attack, whatever angle you look at it from ... in any case i need something to fill the space of 32bit. It feels kind of skinny at 241Mb. :Yahoo!:
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#17 by wread » 20 Jun 2012, 11:54

My congratulations for fanthom; now we can promote the partitioning of the harddisk in three: sda1 for "other", sda2 for Porteus and sda3 for swap. Imagine starting millions of PC's in the whole with the Porteus-globus on screen! And additionally, we can take Porteus in USB around the world.

I am glad to hear you could write an installer as described in one of my last posts. Once I installed Suse and they did in fact compact your hda made a new logic partition for linux and installed grub as boot manager.

To fill the gap of the 32-bits edition, an "Updater" would be very handy: You throw the newer CD version in the cdrom and press "Update"; the machine tests what the old porteus.sgn says and acts substituting the boot and porteus/base accordingly. With adequate messages, the user should learn the pros of the new version, and mention the incompatibilities eventually introduced.

Once more, with a firewall we would be playing the "other" game, not ours -think it over!- :evil: Slackware doesn't need a firewall,why should we need one? Jay, you are missing your time...

Regards
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#18 by brokenman » 21 Jun 2012, 00:12

Your crystal ball serves you well. There will also be a Porteus updater that will ship in final. While it won't update older versions to the latest (yet) it will allow devs to deliver important fixes and upgrades smoothly. This next release is an exciting one.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

XmnemoniC
Contributor
Contributor

Post#19 by XmnemoniC » 22 Jun 2012, 08:28

:good: PSC looks very good. All is in one place, now. Good job :good:
Impossible does not exist!!