Video preview of Porteus Settings Centre

Non release banter
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Video preview of Porteus Settings Centre

Post#1 by brokenman » 15 Jun 2012, 16:19

This has been a work in progress culminating in a launcher and settings center for various Porteus applications. This will cut down on some of the clutter in the 'system' menu and allow many things to be launched from one place.

Check it out here
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: Video preview of Porteus Settings Centre

Post#2 by Hamza » 15 Jun 2012, 17:38

:Yahoo!:
NjVFQzY2Rg==

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#3 by wread » 17 Jun 2012, 19:59

Simply awesome, a beauty! :D
I have only 2 questions:
1.- How does the firewall work, what it does and why....(we are not MS, and we are "posixed");
2.- Wicd, must it be? Is not there the possibility of using Network Manager in trinity? NM is much better!

RFC
Regards
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#4 by Hamza » 17 Jun 2012, 21:32

The firewall,

There are 3 modes pre-defined for beginners.

Normal, this allows all "normal" port. You can get a list of them => /etc/rc.d/rc.FireWall
Strict, this allows only necessary like 80,443,53,21 ports ..
BlockAll, this blocks all the traffic on the system expect on the lo's one.

Most of users will uses "Normal" Mode as it was inspired from the behavior of a "newbie" user.

"Strict" mode was inspired by the restrictions we have in WiFi hotspots we have in general.

"BlockAll", it's mostly for security reason, if you want to setup a kiosk and you won't give an internet access to this computer, so you applies this mode and you can uses guest account as iptables/netfilter is not available for non-root because it's loaded as module for the kernel.
Last edited by Hamza on 18 Jun 2012, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 by brokenman » 18 Jun 2012, 01:27

Thanks Wread.

The firewall is there for those that feel they need it. The function is simply to toggle it on and off and put it into various security modes as described by Hamza. For more control Trinity also has kfirewall. Unfortunately there is an authentication bug with NM and Trinity where kwallet is not called correctly (from memory) and so encrypted password is not passed. Plain text passwords have no trouble but this is not satisfactory. I'd like to find the problem if anyone cares dig deeper.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#6 by wread » 18 Jun 2012, 04:19

@brokenman
Try this module: http://www.mediafire.com/?tjbn5y8s8pul8aw

This is the substitute of the regular xorg-module that contains Network Manager for 32-bits instead of wicd.
I deleted wicd and put NM instead. It works for me in kde4. I guess with a couple of tweaks it could be made to work under kde3 too.

Regards! :)
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 by brokenman » 18 Jun 2012, 14:37

Thanks wread. I managed to get NM working in Trinity today. It seems krb5 package is causing havoc. Removing it (and keeping 003-lxde) allows NM to function within TDE. Now i just need to figure out what to do about the 003 dependencies.

UrUtusUbU
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Hannah Montana Linux

Post#8 by UrUtusUbU » 18 Jun 2012, 16:44

very good job and good video.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#9 by wread » 18 Jun 2012, 17:53

@brokenman
To be honest, I never thought of lxde and NM. I will experiment a little bit with it, let's see how it behaves...

I'll come back..

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#10 by brokenman » 19 Jun 2012, 00:49

Ok i managed to get it running without the lxde module loaded. The problem was with permissions which i fixed by altering:
/usr/share/polkit-1/acesktop.NetworkManager.policy

Looks like i can include NM in final. I am a little nervous with such major changes this late in the game ... but sometimes that's how games are won. :good:

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#11 by wread » 19 Jun 2012, 02:53

@brokenman
This is lxde and NM, right now I am using it OTB (002-xorg4).

No changes at all to the 002-xorg4 module or to 003-lxde. Fanthom said I should call it plain 002-xorg with reason!

All I did was to open the old version, deleted all the files containing *wicd* , prepared the stack of modules for NM that fanthom sent me and tested it outside of the "cleaned" xorg-module. After NM passed the tests, I added it to the xorg package, that' s all.

Of course, I did also clean 001-core from spurious rests of wicd. You have xorg4 already ( I can pass the NM-stack to you, so you can maintain the xorg module in the future); the same goes for the "cleaned" 001.

And of course, the day the administrators of the project decide to make KDE4-32 bits official, i can pass to you the 004-kde4 stack as well.

You are not alone, Jay, go ahead with NM... 8)

EDIT: The NM-Stack is here (credit is to ftm): http://www.mediafire.com/?9apk6ozshf1i9
and the wicd-clean version of 001 here http://www.mediafire.com/?lh1v5z6johlbqz2
Check if you can do without hald in trinity, for I stopped the daemon in 002-xorg4 (I did a "hal-clean", too!).

Regards!
Last edited by wread on 19 Jun 2012, 22:40, edited 2 times in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#12 by brokenman » 19 Jun 2012, 11:32

Thanks Wread. I have the NM stack here from a while back. Will grab yours in case of any updated packages. All looking good here for now. As discussed previously i am happy to provide an app that downloads the 32bit KDE4 and replaces Trinity (called unofficial for now) if you are happy to maintain it. Especially since i've saved around 11Mb from dumping wicd and pyfriends. She ways in at around 241Mb now.

I will pass you an account to upload the final kde4 modules to.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#13 by wread » 19 Jun 2012, 12:41

Thanks Jay, I will serve the kde4-32 bits cause with joy.

Back to the firewall: In the local press of Santo Domingo there was a short article about android phones being "unprotected" against viruses and malware!.

The intention of the writer, of course, was to induce people not to buy android phones; that was a MS-paid pen, I guess. Instead, he should have written: "as of today, it has been no sign of infection with malware or viruses in android phones..."

It could be, as the writer may not know the existence of neither linux nor posix -the stupidity case-, that he is induced by his win-experiences of formatting his HD once a month (or every time the virus producers release a new one and he didn't pay the corresponding toll="antivirus").

With that game, they have taken millions out of our wallets, not to mention the loss of time, and -more important- the loss of data. Think that a "Poteus firewall" would be a step in this direction, making believe there is a big threat against Porteus out there. Existing "reports" of malware in linux don't mention they had had wine installed, for sure....

I think we should focus our efforts trying to gain adepts from the MS-world, the same way MS is trying to avoid they come to us. For instance, an automatic installer to USB as I described earlier in other post, would be a punch in the liver of MS.

Another important TODO is an extra line, a second one, (and related software) in the porteus.cfg to "Start the OS in sda1", without mentioning MS. Or maybe we should write in parenthesis (Windows?) or (for instance, Win); that would be the final knock out for MS. I think our doctors in scripts-writing could achieve such a target easily. Lilo makes that in three lines..

Imagine the millions of HD out there with a bad "null-sector" that could be started with our Porteus-CD........
IF YOUR COMPUTER CANNOT START USE PORTEUS! or better REVIVE YOUR HD WITH PORTEUS-CD!

Urgent RFC from the advanced! (newbies opinions are welcome, too!)

Yours truly

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#14 by Hamza » 19 Jun 2012, 14:32

Or maybe we should write in parenthesis (Windows?) or (for instance, Win);
"Starting from primary harddisk" would be better ?
The intention of the writer, of course, was to induce people not to buy android phones; that was a MS-paid pen, I guess. Instead, he should have written: "as of today, it has been no sign of infection with malware or viruses in android phones..."

It could be, as the writer may not know the existence of neither linux nor posix -the stupidity case-, that he is induced by his win-experiences of formatting his HD once a month (or every time the virus producers release a new one and he didn't pay the corresponding toll="antivirus").
Please read this rule,
12. No personal attacks - These forums are not a place for you to take cheap shots at somebody because he/she did something. Do that some place else (or better yet, get over it).
NjVFQzY2Rg==

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#15 by wread » 19 Jun 2012, 22:47

I apologize, but I thought I wasn't attacking any person in particular, Sorry... :oops: