IPv6

Non release banter
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

IPv6

Post#1 by wread » 06 Jun 2012, 19:59

Starting today, June 6, 2012, the IPv6 standard has been released for general use, at least in USA ( I guess everywhere, too). In the old norm IPv4, there are no more unassigned IP's. No more space available.

The new norm will be used in conjunction with the existing one, so the transition will be relative painless. We hope it will be like that.

We must prepare our Porteus to work ok under the new norm. Or, are we now ready, to communicate using it? New bugs are expected, some latent or hidden, waiting for the norm to start its use. We will see.

Request for comments... :unknown: (try root@porteus# ping6)

EDIT: Using wicd I get this:
Last edited by wread on 17 Jun 2012, 01:43, edited 2 times in total.
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Re: IPv6

Post#2 by Tonio » 08 Jun 2012, 02:13

I respectfully disagree with ipv6. For me it is a pile of dog poop. It causes nothing but problems. See the following thread:

http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... c0b7ffa233

If it would work correctly as it is supposed to, then I would have no objection(s). I can see that many folks around the world still have ipv4 and the change to ipv6 forced kernel module causes problems. Luckily one has to pass

Code: Select all

ipv6.disable=1 
and I can get ip successfully via dhcpcd. Otherwise if it works for you Great!!! :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 09 Jun 2012, 23:08

I also dislike ipv6 as it effectively increases traffic, and how the hell am i supposed to remember an address like that! If there are so many people using IP's that we needed to invent a new standard for fear of running out of addresses ... the world is screwed due to overpopulation. I've switched ipv6 off for now until the internet won't work anymore without it, or the world ends because of said overpopulation. :good:
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#4 by wread » 09 Jun 2012, 23:38

Imagine 340 trillions of trillions of trillions of possible IPs. In less than five years we will all have personal IPs, so many IPs as devices we will own; bandwidth is no problem with optic fibers, wired phone lines will be eliminated, phone connections will be all VoIP (no more long-distance), and so on and so on....whether we like it or not!

Just look back to see how it all started: using phones to connect computers. Now we are using computers to connect phones! A dial-up interface is an Egyptian device nowadays. The general tendency is the wires will disappear, metals will be sparser with time....

ISPs will be issuing IPv6s to everybody, exactly as they are offering mobiles today, and that very soon, you will see...At birth babes will get their IPs in an implanted chip, their ID for life, and so many, many other things...

:shock:

I will be playing the game, for sure!

Regards :)
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!