The virtues of an immutable OS -- like Porteus

Non release banter
Vic
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteux V-0.1 64 KDE

Post#1 by Vic » 16 Nov 2023, 04:04

I see so many people using Linux that are stuck with the same issues that M$ Windows users face: My installed system is borked!

Since screaming will do no good, I try to step back and evaluate.

When I try and explain why Porteus and many other Linux derivatives with the same approach is better, I feel like I am beating my head against a brick wall.

Has anyone had success converting at least one of the masses? My wife does not count since I go out of my way to make sure she is happy. And she trusts me.

Frustrating.

Vic

burdi01
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Slackware PartedMagic Xubuntu

Post#2 by burdi01 » 16 Nov 2023, 10:47

Which "masses" -- "people using Linux" or "M$ Windows users" or both and/or other classes?
If you bang your head when you think you are explaining something you in reality are trying to convince. And convincing is notoriously difficult ...
:D

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#3 by Rava » 16 Nov 2023, 15:33

burdi01 wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 10:47
If you bang your head when you think you are explaining something you in reality are trying to convince. And convincing is notoriously difficult ...
I agree, convincing usually only works if the other person is open enough for new and/or unconventional ideas and/or approaches and wants to listen.

I tell people at times what I use and why I do so. When no one asks for details: their loss, I do not force a superior approach unto anyone. (Usually no one asks for details.)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

joejac
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.1

Post#4 by joejac » 25 Feb 2024, 13:43

Hello,
From my experience, the best way is demonstrating the superiority on a real life problem. When somebody complains that he/she has to dispose an old and venerable computer with all his hardware working, but the infamous M$ not working, I go with Porteus if it is a Notebook or Debian derivative with no systemd if it is and old laptop or desktop and voila it works and the person is happy and he/she some times uses more the old equipment revived with Linux than the new one with M$, there is no need to explain much, some functions of LibreOffice or GIMP, because browsing is the same. The person realize for himself.

Regards
Joejac

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#5 by Rava » 25 Apr 2024, 21:21

Joejac, I tried that approach with a female acquaintance who is very low on income and struggling financially. She insisted any kind of Linux would be too complicated for her and she would not get it. In the end she paid 200€ to have newer SM-windoze installed that looked very different from the one she was working with. (The irony was lost on her, but not on me.)
A few weeks later I realized she is one of these kinds of persons who unbeknownst to themselves make the most grave of issues by themselves against themselves. And by now I have learned that there is no helping these kinds of persons. (If you try, they will only drag you down with them)

An the solution would be so easy: when you find yourself in a hole that gets deeper and deeper - stop digging.
Cheers!
Yours Rava