Non release banter
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

What do you think of new search engine?

Post#1 by brokenman » 02 Feb 2012, 16:26

http://duckduckgo.com/

These guys contacted us with a request to include in Porteus. here is why i would like to go with them.

1) Simplicity, this is exactly how google started out in the days of dialup and is why they were such a hit.

2) Privacy. in light of google's recent change of privacy policy it is nice to see a search engine that doesn't need to know what you had for breakfast this morning.

3) They are actively marketing and would mention porteus when contacting advertising channels saying something like: duckduck go is the default search engine in Linux Mint and Porteus.

Any opinions on this service?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: What do you think of new search engine?

Post#2 by Hamza » 02 Feb 2012, 16:34

I did some test son its efficience of search results and it looks good for me. It includes some nice tweaks to make easier the "advanced reseach".

It remember me the bootstrap of Twitter.. :)
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#3 by Ahau » 02 Feb 2012, 22:22

I'm OK with it. Midori ships with duck duck go as the default search engine. I had changed it to google because it's more familiar, but I'll move it back to ddg and give it a spin :)
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#4 by Tonio » 03 Feb 2012, 02:41

Thank you guys for letting us know about his engine. I am using at this time. Was so used to google, but definitely know about the privacy issues :( It looks like duckduckgo.com is ready and it works fine. Anybody know about a mail system(Free) to substitute for gmail and/or yahoo mail? Now that the US govt. has already gotten too big for its bridges and can do anything it wants along with the tyrant president, we(including world here) need to find alternatives to the bad guys.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 03 Feb 2012, 13:22

I remember google from when they first started (the good 'ol dialup days) and they were very unobtrusive. They resembled this duckduckgo search engine with a very basic (read fast loading) search engine and no privacy policy. It's interesting to see how they have moved from being 'just there to be used at no cost' to now having a monopoly, and now i see ads, popups and a privacy policy that you are almost forced to read (never good). They now have a finger in everything and nothing is truly free. They probably have their own breakfast cereal or google hybrid electric vehicle.

"Such is life"
Some smart bugger
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.