Chromebook converted to Linux lappy [solved]

Non release banter
Karmi
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Linux

Chromebook converted to Linux lappy [solved]

Post#1 by Karmi » 08 May 2022, 00:45

Last year I converted a Samsung Chromebook Plus V2 (NAUTILUS) to a dual-boot Linux lappy (CloudReadyOS on the 32GB eMMC ‘n Fedora on a SD card) using MrChromebox.tech's method ‘n guides. Loooong story.

Chromebooks have an Auto Update Expiration (AUE) date, and I had heard that Linux can be installed on them. Not that Chrome OS Developer stuff…seems that ended up being some old slow Ubuntu 16 ‘n worse. I wanted a new fresh Linux OS on a converted Chromebook to test…to replace Chrome OS when that AUE date arrived.

3 HP Chromebooks could not be converted by a non-expert like me. MrChromebox.tech was the best source I found, during these tests, for me. Using their advice I found a Chromebook - Samsung 12.2″ Chromebook Plus V2 that could be folded into a tablet, stood up, FHD touchscreen, Stylus Pen, etc. with a MoBo that MrChromebox said would work, and it did - Nautilus.

Recently decided to replace Fedora with Porteus 5 Cinnamon, but it just would not boot. Same with Porteus 4. Tried various options ‘n disk formats, but no luck. I install all Linux OSes that I like on USBs - or - SD cards in the Chromebook…Porteus is a great portable OS, but 2 working USB installations didn’t work on the converted Chromebook. Rufus, UUI & Etcher ‘Live’ USBs didn’t work either. Every Distro I’ve tried has worked except Porteus.

No biggie since I barely use it for anything other than testing.…I’ll put Fedora 36 on it when it comes out, as a second choice.

UPDATE: solved - see "Can Porteus be booted from the UEFI Shell option?" thread in Newbie Questions
Last edited by Karmi on 14 May 2022, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Chromebook converted to Linux lappy

Post#2 by nanZor » 08 May 2022, 11:14

I'm assuming for Porteus you are not dd'ing or using any other iso burning utility - as Porteus has it's own installer already included in the iso so you don't burn the iso directly.

Unarchive / open the iso file and check out the install docs.

On *some* machines, I've found that the secondary step of using either the linux shell file, or the windows exe file to finish the process unnecessary - merely extracting and copying the contents of the iso file to the usb stick is sufficient for boot.

You may want to try omitting this step because it seems it isn't absolutely necessary depending on hardware.

In fact, some other systems, like Gparted Live (the ZIP file, not the iso!) use much the same technique as Porteus.

Perhaps this will get Porteus up and running on your Chromebook with that mrchromebox firmware mods. I have it running just fine on a Chromebase myself...
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

Karmi
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Linux

Chromebook converted to Linux lappy

Post#3 by Karmi » 08 May 2022, 13:39

Thanks for the tips, nanZor!

Yeah, I've tried the Linux installer 'n the Windows installer. Also copying ISOs content to USB 'n SD card.

Will probably keep tinkering with it occasionally, but have my doubts since two USBs with it installed already won't boot either. They boot on 6 of my PCs and a Dell XPS13. May see if MrChromebox has an updated script/BIOS. Porteus would be perfect on that converted Chromebook...