Kulle
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: v4.0 64bit Xfce

deb packages for Porteus 5.0

Post#1 by Kulle » 19 Aug 2022, 09:34

deb packages can be found in Debian 11, Debian 10, Debian sid
and also in Ubuntu 22, 20, 18
Which one to use to create a module for Porteus 5.0 with deb2xzm ?
(due to compatibility)

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#2 by Rava » 19 Aug 2022, 10:36

Depends mainly on the GLIBC.

That is the Gnu Main C library, almost all Linux programs need that library (the exemption might be pure assembler programs, but these are rare)

The main file is a symlink - /lib64/libc.so.6

I currently setting up the 5.0 finale version of Port, but run a few tests prior to shutdown and will boot up the machine after a break. And I am too lazy to look into the new modules.

Currently I have:

Code: Select all

root@porteus:~# file /lib64/libc.so.6 
/lib64/libc.so.6: symbolic link to libc-2.33.so
As you can see, I have GLIBC v2.33

Meaning, a program that needs v2.33 will run, one that needs 2.32 or lower will also run.

But any program that needs at least v2.34 will never run. You cannot change the GLIBC in a system, that will break everything. (Trust me, I tried. It literally breaks everything, not even init or shutdown will work, the system looks like it is still running, but programs can do only things that have already loaded all the needed libaries functions in the past, anything new, be it minor as dirt will fail since no needed library cannot be loaded anymore. The system is doomed and only a hard reboot can solve that.)

If you need that program with a newer GLIBC you must upgrade your whole system, when that is possible.

Worst case scenario: let's presume the newest available GLIBC for Porteus is GLIBC v2.33. And the program you want to make into a module needs v2.34 - no chance. Then you need to use an older version of that program, one that needs v2.33 or less.

But even when the GLIBC seems to work, there still can be some things going wrong because some Linux distros handle some paths differently. The most common issue is the path where the man pages are sitting, Slackware differs from most other distributions in that.

You can also try tinycorelinux modules, they are very efficiently made (tcl has rigid standards in creating modules) - and they used to be compatible with Porteus modules, at least approx 1 1/2 years ago that was the case. Just download a tcl module with a correct GLIBC, rename it to whatever.xzm and activate it, then you see if it works. :)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Kulle
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: v4.0 64bit Xfce

Post#3 by Kulle » 19 Aug 2022, 12:29

Thanks Rava,
this is specifically about the hpijs-ppds package.
This package is not found with slakfinder.org.
But this package is present in Debian and Ubuntu,
I don't want to keep trying forever.
What could be the most appropriate?

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#4 by Rava » 19 Aug 2022, 13:18

I managed to get both packages from Debian or Ubuntu into working modules.

I presume your GLIBC version is also 2.35, like mine is now with the 5.0 x86-64 finale version running. (more on that all here: Porteus-v5.0x86_64_bugs reports (Post by Rava #89167) )

guest@porteus:~$ l /lib64/libc.so.6 
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root 12 2022-07-23 11:18 /lib64/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.35.so
First, check via pkgs.org if the GLIBC requirement for the newest version is met. Then check via pgks.org which GLIBC these modules need. If one or both needs 2.35 or lower, just try it.

If it fails to run due to missing dependencies, go with the

ldd /path/to/binary |grep "not found" 
approach and install all missing libraries.
More details here - USM Update Error | rc2 (Post by Rava #89140) - in German, not an issue for you. (others can use https://www.deepl.com :) )

Added in 6 minutes 37 seconds:
I forgot, you not specified if its for x86-64 or i586…
Cheers!
Yours Rava