Chromium and Flashplayer

Post tutorials, HOWTO's and other useful resources here.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Chromium and Flashplayer

Post#1 by wread » 23 Jul 2017, 15:49

I like Chromium better, because it is open source. :Yahoo!: But it has no Flashplayer built in....

The solution is not trivial. Installing a Flashplayer plugin is not enough. You must extract chromium and edit the file 00-default.conf to tell chromium which version of Flashplayer you are using and where did you install it.

My 00-default.conf reads:

# Default settings for chromium.
# This file is sourced by /usr/bin/chromium

# Options to pass to chromium:
CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=26.0.0.131"

The colored text is my edit. You must edit yours correspondingly and repack your chromium.

Cheers!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

alienbob
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware

Chromium and Flashplayer

Post#2 by alienbob » 24 Jul 2017, 20:29

You are making it hard while it is in fact easy.
If you took my chromium package (the "00-default.conf " is the proof of that) and made a Porteus module of it, you should also grab my "chromium-pepperflash-plugin" package and make a Porteus module out of that.
The pliugin package installs a file "/etc/chromium/pepperflash-plugin.conf" which contains the information Chromium needs. You should never have to edit that "/etc/chromium/00-default.conf" file.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Chromium and Flashplayer

Post#3 by fulalas » 25 Jul 2017, 14:28

@wread, just need to download Pepper Flash module. Here's the link: Pepper flash plugin 25.0.0.127

I'm using it with last Opera 46, and so far so good, but let me know if it works for you. :)

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Chromium and Flashplayer

Post#4 by wread » 27 Jul 2017, 02:01

@alienbob: Sorry I didn't find your flashplayer. I got it from Adobe.
Besides, I don't remember having used your chromium slackware version; I built it from chromium.org, otherwise I had given credit to you in the package, as I usually do with KDE; take a look at this:
This is from my unofficial KDE5; the only file modified for Porteus is plasma-workspace....it is tainted with Porteus distro files...

My complete 003-kde5 is a folder -not a compressed module (you update kde5 every month!) - with a premium selection of files for a basic decent operating system.

A compressed version of it is here, you can try it! And all members of Porteus of course.

Slackware was my first approach into linux; I also adopted Slax once, then switched to Porteus. Fanthom and Brokenman thought me how to make Porteus and now I cook my own versions with no guest user and no "su" stuff - I use root in AF mode always- (a good reason not to become a maintainer of Porteus-KDE), if I mess a system I can get backups and put it to work again.

I don't intend to become administrator or even "maintainer" or Porteus. If I can help, I do it gladly, without compromising my time. I guess I am the oldest member of the Porteus family, born 37 (I am on the xzm team) and had my hands on an IBM already in 1960 at TH Hannover, Germany.

@fulalas: My Flashplayer is 26 as you can read from my post, more advanced as the USM version...

Un saludo cordial para todos!

William Read
Last edited by wread on 30 Jul 2017, 11:44, edited 2 times in total.
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Chromium and Flashplayer

Post#5 by Bogomips » 27 Jul 2017, 11:08

Wow! We span 23 to 80! :Rose:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB