[HOWTO] Install HP Printing Capabilities in Porteus

Post tutorials, HOWTO's and other useful resources here.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

[HOWTO] Install HP Printing Capabilities in Porteus

Post#1 by wread » 24 Jan 2011, 21:33

Slackware's weakness is printing, as everyone knows. As I have two printers, both HP, I started looking for HP printer support for Porteus V 09. So I downloaded three modules from kenney:

http://www.slax.org/modules/3118/dl/700 ... k8.5.8.lzm,
http://www.slax.org/modules/3120/dl/703 ... b-pack.lzm,
http://www.slax.org/modules/3119/dl/702 ... bus-gs.lzm,

transformed them to sq4 and put them in modules. They worked! :)

The 7030-hplip-3_9_10 package contains -among others- a test script named hp-check. I ran it and obtained 9 errors or warnings, indicating that some functionalities were not present. Some packages were not up to date, absent or not installed.

To check dependencies we can use a handy tool: slacky -d; slackyd said python was not up to date, as well as tcl and tk. I downloaded and installed all three in /porteus/modules. Then I read in our old forum that the 7000-er module of kenney contained older versions of these three packages and no more.

So I deleted that module at all, and the packages kept working ok. The three packages fall in the category of developing languages, so I included them -all three- in 007-devel.lzm of /porteus/base. To take notice of this change, I renamed it into 007-develp.lzm; the additional p remains that python (and other interpreted languages) is included. Now it is 57.2 MB, the older version was 42.2 MB.

Running hp-check with the new version of python gave already better results: 7 errors. In the webpage of hplip I found valuable information about where to get some missing packages. Some of them were a straight task of downloading, uncompressing, configuring (I added the script configure-for-porteus analog to configure-for-slax from previous versions to my porteus), making and installing, then building a lzm module.

At this stage I must mention the great help of fanthom's script "changes-saver". Without this tool you would have to deactivate all modules every time you wanted to build a new module, otherwise modul b would include module a and so on. Genial, fanthom, thanks again!

Other packages were very tricky. The configuration script asked for new modules, this on its turn, again asked for another modul, and so on, kind of a chain reaction. This led to an unexpected series of modules you never dreamed of! In my /porteus/modules/ folder now I have, besides the two remaining folders of kenney (7020-cups-1_4_2-dbus-gs_sq4.lzm and 7030-hplip-3_9_10-auto-usb-pack_sq4.lzm) following packages related to hplip printing:

-libffi-v3.0.9.sq4.lzm, (84 KB)
-bison-2.4.sq4.lzm, (372 KB)
-cupsddk-1_2_3_sq4.lzm, (564 KB)
-flex-2.5.35.sq4.lzm, (252 KB)
-gobject-introspection-0.10.1.sq4.lzm, (980 KB)
-intltool-0.36.2.sq4.lzm, (32 KB)
-Linux-PAM-1.1.1-i686-1.sq4.lzm (516 KB)
-notify-python-0.1.1.sq4.lzm, (12.0 KB)
-OpenSP-1.5.2.sq4.lzm, (5.3 MB)
-policykit-0.9-i486-1as.sq4.lzm (444 KB)
-pycairo-1.8.10.sq4.lzm, (28.0 KB)
-pygobject-2.26.0.lzm, (604 KB)
-pygtk-2.22.0-i486.sq4.lzm, (1.8 MB)
-PyQt-x11-gpl-4.8.2.sq4.lzm, (2.4 MB)
-qt4-4.6.2--0.1.3.lzm, (26.4 MB)
-reportlab-2.5.sq4.lzm, (1.3 MB)
-sip-4.12.sq4.lzm, (172 KB)
-v4l-utils-0.8.0-i486-1.sq4.lzm, (208 KB)
-xsane-0.988.sq4.lzm, (1,7 MB)

that makes again about 38 MB. Now hp-check says "no error or warnings"; Oh joy, Thanks God!

All 19 modules can be downloaded from http://ingenieria.read.net/repository, this HOWTO, too.

I can now open my own hacking school!!! :Yahoo!:

Cheers!

Edit: I forgot to mention other modules I now have in optional that were needed only to compile some of the modules above:

-bison-2.4.sq4.lzm,
-flex-2-5-35-sq4.lzm,
-OpenSP-1.5.2.sq4.lzm

:shock:

EDIT: this HOWTO will be now updated to conform the Version 1.0 of Porteus 32-bits.

This documentation corresponds to HPLIP version hplip-3.11.3a now available for Porteus in
http://www.mediafire.com/?f1vrqwkcbxavb
Supported Features
Printing support for HP printers including: Deskjet, Officejet, Photosmart, PSC, Business Inkjet and LaserJet.
Color and monochrome scanning from compatible Officejet, PSC, Photosmart, and LaserJet MFPs.
PC send fax utility.
High quality photo printing.
Full-bleed printing.
Automatic duplexing (on equiped printers).
Automatic document feeder (ADF) scanning.
Scanner Access Now Easy (SANE) compatible interface.
Send fax address book.
Photo card access utility.
Device manager (toolbox) with maintenance tools, supplies levels, and status information.
USB, network, and parallel connection types.
Full integration with CUPS.
PPD file provided for Postscript-only laser printers.
Command line utilities for many often needed tasks.
Simple setup utility.
Automated installer.

You can make a folder in "modules", name it HPPrinter and download to it all 13 modules that make the printing set. Reboot.
To test your installation, open a konsole and write "hp-check" (without quotes). It should revise every needed package to see if some are missing. Normally it should end the tests with a no-errors-message.

To install your HP-printer just open your CUPS-administrator, it should detect printer type and model. Follow instructions and your printer is ready to go. :Bravo:

Last edited by wread on 13 Jun 2011, 17:23, edited 3 times in total.
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Re: [HOWTO] Install HP Printing Capabilities in Porteus V09-

Post#2 by wread » 14 Feb 2011, 22:47

I can since printing with HP, but my removable resources don't auto-mount anymore.

I looked for the cause and found it in module 7020-cups-gs-sq4.lzm . So I made a fresh compilation of ghostscript and a lzm-module as a substitute of the bad 7020, but the hp-check tool said python-dbus and PyQt4 Dbus were now missing. Another fresh compilation of dbus-python-0.83.2 and lzm-module did the job.

Both new modules can be found at http://ingenieria.read.net/repository. Just delete the old 7020 module and download the two new modules.

Now my auto-mount is working again!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#3 by Hamza » 02 Mar 2011, 13:30

@wread : Fixed !

It is a problem with the restoration after the attack . Brokenman is working on a solution for fix all bugs

Sorry for inconvenience
NjVFQzY2Rg==

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#4 by wread » 03 Mar 2011, 12:39

@Hamza: Thank you very much!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#5 by Hamza » 03 Mar 2011, 12:43

You are welcome !
NjVFQzY2Rg==

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: [HOWTO] Install HP Printing Capabilities in Porteus

Post#6 by francois » 26 Jun 2011, 20:13

@Wread:

Did you adapt you universal printer solution for porteus 64 bit? How does it fare on printers other than HP?
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.