[HOWTO] Configure KWiFiManager

Post tutorials, HOWTO's and other useful resources here.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

[HOWTO] Configure KWiFiManager

Post#1 by wread » 16 Jan 2011, 18:51

For generations it has been an oriental mystery to get Kwifi Manager up and running. Here is that mystery unveiled! You can also download this howto from http://ingenieria.read.net/repository

In SR V08 I used the script from fanthom to make my wifi work right by startup: fine bussiness!
I needed at least two scripts, one for work, one for home. So I put them in optional directory and used cheatcode load=work... and load=home...

Then in SR V09 I tried kwifimanager again and could get it somehow to work! Normally I start always fresh and put my personal configurations in rootcopy; these are usually small text files that don't deserve being compressed to lzm as modules. Here my configurations to get kwifimanager up an running:

Open a kwrite editor and copy and paste following text to(you must activate "Show Hidden Files") rootcopy/root/.kde/share/config/kcmwifirc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Configuration 1]
ActiveKey=1
CryptoMode=Open
InterfaceName=wlan0
Key1=34726A047E
Key2=
Key3=
Key4=
NetworkName=Thomson4E5620
PMEnabled=false
PMMode=All
RunScript=false
ScriptName=
SleepTimeout=120
Speed=54M
UseCrypto=true
WakeupPeriod=20
WifiMode=Managed

[Configuration 2]
ActiveKey=1
CryptoMode=Open
InterfaceName=wlan0
Key1=27D76D2EBA
Key2=
Key3=
Key4=
NetworkName=Thomson26C860
PMEnabled=false
PMMode=All
RunScript=false
ScriptName=
SleepTimeout=120
Speed=54M
UseCrypto=true
WakeupPeriod=20
WifiMode=Managed

[Configuration 3]
ActiveKey=1
CryptoMode=Open
InterfaceName=
Key1=
Key2=
Key3=
Key4=
NetworkName=
PMEnabled=false
PMMode=All
RunScript=false
ScriptName=
SleepTimeout=30
Speed=Auto
UseCrypto=false
WakeupPeriod=20
WifiMode=Managed

[Configuration 4]
ActiveKey=1
CryptoMode=Open
InterfaceName=
Key1=
Key2=
Key3=
Key4=
NetworkName=
PMEnabled=false
PMMode=All
RunScript=false
ScriptName=
SleepTimeout=30
Speed=Auto
UseCrypto=false
WakeupPeriod=20
WifiMode=Managed

[General]
NumberConfigs=4
PresetConfig=1
UsePreset=false
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit it with your parameters and save it.

Besides, You will need three other files.
1.-Open a kwrite editor and copy and paste following text to rootcopy/root/etc/networks
#
# networks This file describes a number of netname-to-address
# mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem. It is mostly
# used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
#

loopback 127.0.0.0
localnet 127.0.0.0
lan 10.0.0.0

# End of networks.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the original /etc/networks with the last line "lan 10.0.0.0" added by me. Note the tab -no space- between lan and 10.0.0.0. Edit this line for your case (your private network IP) and save it.

2.- Open a kwrite editor and copy and paste to rootcopy/root/etc/resolv.conf.head
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
domain lan
nameserver 10.0.0.1 #lan entry
Edit it with your private IP gateway and save.

3.- Open once more a kwrite editor and copy and paste to rootcopy/root/etc/resolv.conf.tail
nameserver 196.3.81.5 #kppp temp entry
nameserver 200.88.127.23 #kppp temp entry
Edit it with your nameservers for a dialup or mobile phone connection (just in case you are out of town with no high speed connection)

Reboot and press Start>Settings>Wireles Network, select Config 1 on top, Config 1 on encriptions, Activate, pause one second and press Apply. Wait a couple of seconds and a pop up window will indicate that your interface is up and running. Click OK and you can navigate!

Cheers!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!