HOWTO make a "real" installation of Porteus to harddisk

Post tutorials, HOWTO's and other useful resources here.
exton
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Fedora

HOWTO make a "real" installation of Porteus to harddisk

Post#1 by exton » 08 Oct 2012, 19:16

I have noticed that some members are looking for a way to make a "real" installation of Porteus to harddisk. This is how it can be done manually. (This instruction works for many other Linux systems too).

Conditions: You must already have one Linux system installed on your computer and use GRUB as boot loader. You can use "my" install method, even if the aforementioned conditions are not met, but then it gets a little more complicated.

1. First, create a Linux partition of about 4 GB and a swap space of about 1 GB or double the size of your computer's RAM. If you use an existing Linux partition you must ensure that it is formatted before running the commands listed below. (Hereinafter Linux partition /dev/sda8. You should of course enter the correct name of your new or pre-existing Linux partition).
2. Start the computer from the CD and open up a terminal as root.
3. Run the command umount /dev/sda8
4. Run the command mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda8
5. Run the command mount /dev/sda8 /mnt/sda8
6. Run the command cp --preserve -R /{bin,dev,etc,home,lib,root,sbin,usr,var,opt} /mnt/sda8
7. Run the command mkdir /mnt/sda8/{boot,mnt,proc,srv,sys,tmp}
8. Run the command cp /boot/vmlinuz /mnt/sda8/boot
9. Run the command mount -t proc proc /mnt/sda8/proc
10. Run the command mount --bind /dev /mnt/sda8/dev
Done!

Add finally the following lines in your existing GRUB (Legacy) installation (/boot/grub/menu.lst) and restart the computer:
title Porteus
root (hd1,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8

Sometimes you will have to edit /etc/fstab too, but that is not necessary with Porteus.

The manually installed Porteus system will work like a "normal" Slackware install.
Last edited by exton on 10 Oct 2012, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
EXTON Linux | Linux Live Systems

Iapetus
White ninja
White ninja

Re: HOWTO make a "real" installation of Porteus to harddisk

Post#2 by Iapetus » 08 Oct 2012, 21:06

Hi exton,

Have you tried this method with Porteus and thoroughly tested it? I see from your grub menu entry that you are not using an initrd, which means you are not using the Porteus linuxrc. It is this script which sets up the aufs layers and the live filesystem. I imagine you might be able to successfully boot the system, as the kernel would load the specified root filesystem, find and start init, and rc.S from there, but rc.S and rc.M are highly customized for Porteus and expect a "live" filesystem. If nothing else, you would be unable to activate any porteus .xzm modules, and most of the custom Porteus scripts and cheatcodes would fail in this environment. If, however, you aren't running into these issues, I'd be curious to see how you get around it, and try your method.

Thanks!

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#3 by wread » 09 Oct 2012, 00:01

Fine Business exton!

Maybe a script for it would be a good idea; I would call it Portexton or similar 8)

Cheers!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

exton
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by exton » 09 Oct 2012, 07:54

Yes, of course I have tried this install method myself. Many times. Not only for Porteus. It works. I haven't tried Porteus special scripts though. I installed slapt-get and Gslapt instead. I even upgraded the system to Slackware 14.0. No problems.

Re. GRUB and initrd: If it doesn't work for you you can chroot into Porteus and install "my" new kernel 3.5.6-exton. Get it HERE.

exton
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by exton » 09 Oct 2012, 11:56

Hi wread,

I came to think of that I already have a suitable script - slack-installer. It is made by Thomas Schoenhuetl <pilleus.pulcher@arcor.de>. No credit goes to me. I have only made some cosmetic changes to the script. If you want to use the script do this:

1. Start up Porteus live (from the CD) and DOWNLOAD slack-installer
2. Place (as root) slack-installer in /usr/bin
3. Run slack-installer as root (command: slack-installer)
4. Choose to install Porteus on a partition you have created before you run slack-installer. I.e. don't let slack-installer make a partition for you. (Too risky)
5. If you do not have another Linux system on your computer you can let slack-installer install LILO for you. Otherwise just skip this part and make your changes in the boot handler you are using (GRUB or GRUB2 or...)

I have tested slack-installer in Porteus. Works perfect. You can even use Porteus Package Manager after a harddisk installation. Do it like this:

1. Login as root
2. mkdir /Modules
3. chmod 777 /Modules
4. Start up Porteus Package Manager and choose /Modules as modules folder
5. Try to install a module. You will get an error message - see this screenshot when I one hour ago tried to install Nano. You can also see that Nano was installed
6. Porteus suggested (as you can see) that I should run the command xzm2dir /Modules/nano-2.3.0-i486-1.xzm / (worked like a charm!)

Good luck!

Iapetus
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by Iapetus » 09 Oct 2012, 15:21

Thanks, exton...sorry if I came across as overly critical or skeptical. Looks like it does work -- I guess my caution to those who are looking to use this method is that you may not be able to cleanly uninstall software installed with this method, as xzm2dir does a forced overwrite (so existing config files will be clobbered instead of backed up like installpkg ought to do) and does not remember which files it wrote. You may be able to run 'removepkg', but if the module creator modified or added anything beyond what was in the txz, removepkg won't find it. Since you're basically running slackware at this point, the slackware pkgtools would probably be the cleaner way to go.

barchi
Ronin
Ronin

Post#7 by barchi » 10 Oct 2012, 10:13

Hello Exton,

that is a great idea you've had. I have followed your instructions (did not used the script),
but my Grub 1.99Ubuntu-version does not recognize an os on the porteus partition.

I have the following OS (all 64bit Versions) installed:
Win7 -->sda1
Porteus -->sda5
Swap -->sda6
Lubuntu -->sda14

when i do

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
from Lubuntu, it normally registers all installed OS and make the correct grub.cfg entries.
But it does not recognize the Porteus OS :o
I have tried to copy the initrd file from the usbstick to my hd /Boot folder and updated grub again but still the problem.

Any ideas howto solve it?

exton
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by exton » 10 Oct 2012, 14:30

Yes. You will have to manually edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg and NOT run update-grub after that. Or you should really edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom and run update-grub (but that is a little more complicated).

The boot lines for Porteus in Grub 2 (/boot/grub/grub.cfg) should look like this:

menuentry 'Porteus (sda8)' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos8)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root e22e68cd-4812-491a-8886-c319dc710116
linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8
}

You shall of course enter the correct name of your Porteus partition. And the correct uuid. Run blkid /dev/sda8
Last edited by exton on 10 Oct 2012, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#9 by brokenman » 10 Oct 2012, 16:13

Personally i would just install slackware.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#10 by francois » 10 Oct 2012, 16:51

I would say that too. But thinking more about it, I really wonder what are the real advantages of the frugal install to the full install?
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#11 by brokenman » 10 Oct 2012, 22:25

Speed
copy2ram
Footprint
Fresh mode
Layered file system
Portability
Sexy women dig it

I guess there are advantages and disadvantages. Feel free to express them.
Maybe i am biased. :D
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

bigbass
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: slackware 14

Post#12 by bigbass » 10 Oct 2012, 22:46

Hey exton
Thanks for taking the time to be transparent and document the steps you used and the link to the installer script
the installer script is very interesting I havent seen that one before

There is a nice how to chroot slackware if you google it I used that several times
and it worked well where you could build a lite version if needed

some tips or ideas what you are actually using is a binded chroot to your running linux system
you could uncompress the xzm which would be cleaner than copying from a booted cd
The device folder doesnt take well to copying but uncompressing the xzm will preseve everything
I used to boot into a "folder" for slackware and puppy a few years ago so I understand the process
for normal use this is fine but if you wanted to compile kernel modules this would be a problem

The difference between a full install and a frugal install only makes a difference if you want to upgrade glibc or gtk or some core dependencies using a different tool chain for normal users there isnt much a difference but for development a full install is the way to go to test ideas before going live cd

so there are advantages having a live cd and there are advantages for a full install

I also agree I have a full install of slackware so when I want a full install I use that
and sometimes I need a live cd or use my save file or boot clean and that's where Porteus shines and is faster with a nice selection of apps
both ways have their good points frugal is the safer way for general use

welcome to the forum
thanks for posting

Joe

denzil
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus-v2.0-i486.sgn

Post#13 by denzil » 01 Mar 2013, 22:57

http://forum.porteus.org/posting.php?mo ... =39&t=1576#

How to install to a harddrive. Well, after several unsuccessful tries using a script and GRUB in the bootsector
on the harddrive with no results, I finally booted a "Wary Puppy" program ISO from a CDROM. If you do this be warned, you won't be able to open the cdrom UNTIL you do a save on shutdown. After that is done, boot
the cdrom again and eject the cdrom after the Puppy program is done initiatizing. Put the "Proteus" ISO
cdrom in the drive and go over to the cdrom and open "Boot" directory. Since you have booted from a Linux
program, all you have to do is look for the Linux Install file. Only TWO files appear, Linus install and Windows
install. Click on the Linux Install and follow the Terminal prompts on the install (very simple). I your are real
emergetic, you could install Windows and run the Windows install! I wanted a quick no complicated install!
I have had to use the Puppy programs to fix many OSs and they are handy. You can remove the 3 files that they left behind. After you get Proteus installed doing this routine, Just pull the Puppy cdrom out of the drive
and reboot. Be sure to set your CMOS to boot off of the harddrive. IT HELPS TO READ THE
DOCUMENTATION! Not all programs have the documentation exposed. Usually it's imbedded in the ISO file

--Denzil

exton
White ninja
White ninja

Post#14 by exton » 02 Mar 2013, 14:25

Why involve Puppy Linux? If you want to install Porteus to hard drive: Do it as I wrote in my first post in this thread. Or use Slack-Installer as I said in my second post.

dacq
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: 2.1

Post#15 by dacq » 13 Dec 2013, 20:33

Exton, you have

4. Run the command mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda8

Is that because you have a partition formatted in ext4?