Porteus v 1.0 roadmap

Global Announcements
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Porteus v 1.0 roadmap

Post#1 by fanthom » 29 Dec 2010, 02:15

Just to mention our plans regarding 1.0 release.

1. Sunday 2nd of January: community voting about new distro name. Site Admins gonna prepare a poll in which you are going to decide how our distro will be named. i hope that most of registered users will take a part in this.
2. Sunday 9th of January: after choosing the name Jayflood should be able to finish a website with new name, logo, etc.
3. Middle of January: should be able to make first experiments with new kernel - 2.6.37, but it depends on availability of aufs+sqlzma patches. Hopefully new 000-kernel.lzm module along with initrd and vmlinuz will be available for testing.
4. January/Feburary/March: adding new features, fixing bugs, creating docs, etc.
5. Middle of March: releasing of first Beta's/Rc's (hopefully KDE-3.12 "Trinity" for 32bits and KDE-4.6.2 for 64bits )
6. Middle of April: 1.0 should be out, announcement is made on Distrowatch.com and world belongs to us :)

Above dates are approximate.
We are planning to release up to 3 releases per year. please don't expect 9 versions like it was in 2010 :D

Cheers,
Porteus Team
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Porteus v 1.0 roadmap

Post#2 by fanthom » 08 Jun 2011, 14:20

UPDATE:

Just today brokenman released Porteus Package Manager (one of the most welcome features in 1.0) which means that we are ready for Porteus-1.0 release.

There are some pending projects on the way:
a) "Net Install" script by Hamza
a) "Porteus Settings Assistant" by agreimann
and would be nice to have them ready before SUNDAY 12th of June as we are going to release (unplanned) rc3 for both arch's that day.
Once rc3 is out, no new features will be added till FINAL which is expected a week later 20th of June.

RC3 is needed as we have pulled too many "last call" updates to rc2 (including PPM) and these needs solid testing before going with FINAL release.

I'm sure this is a good news for everybody as users and devs may be tired with constant "alphas, betas, rc's" and need to take some rest during the summer :wink:

Stay tuned for news.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Porteus v 1.0 roadmap

Post#3 by fanthom » 21 Jun 2011, 15:17

Good news is that 64bit version of Porteus 1.0 is ready - waiting for upload on my PC :)
Bad news is that brokenman will be absent for next couple of days and i need to prepare 32bit edition as well. this gonna cost us 1 or 2 extra days of delay....

Cheers