Porteus-v4.0 is released!

Global Announcements
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Porteus-v4.0 is released!

Post#1 by brokenman » 29 Apr 2018, 23:42

Team Porteus is immensely gratified to announce the immediate availability of Porteus-v4.0 final in SEVEN desktop flavours.
You can download the releases at any of our mirrors in the following folders:

x86_64/Porteus-v4.0
i586/Porteus-v4.0

Please donate to our project to help continued development.

Major changes include:
Kernel 4.16.3
Core is based on Slackware current
7 desktop options to choose from! :crazy:
New configuration file at porteus/porteus-v4.0-x86_64.cfg which replaces the .sgn file and can hold cheatcodes. One per line.
New update-browser feature to update or download your preferred browser (available in GUI)
Support for EFI (using syslinux for both BIOS and EFI boots) Only one config file now exists for both methods: /mnt/sdXY/boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg
New Porteus update feature built in to update the base modules
Intel microcode available in boot folder (load with initrd=/boot/syslinux/intel-ucode.cpio,/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz in boot line)

A special thanks to our DEV team fulalas, jssouza, ncmprhnsbl and Blaze without whom this release would not have happened. These guys supply code and maintain our desktops and are just awesome in general. My hat comes off for you guys.

2 THINGS TO DO AFTER INSTALLATION:

1) Find the fastest mirror
Open a root console (root password is toor) and run: fastest-mirror
- This will place the fastest mirror for your area into the file /etc/porteus.conf

2) Support Porteus by using our browsers
Run the browser update button (on the panel or in the menu) and get the latest browser. Using this method helps support Porteus financially and our continued development.

Added in 1 day 13 hours 15 minutes 19 seconds:
More at softpedia here.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.