PorteuX 0.8 has been released

PorteuX - The Next Experience. It's inspired by Slax and Porteus but with heaps of improvements
porteux
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: PorteuX

Post#1 by porteux » 15 Nov 2023, 23:57

Ventoy is now finally supported! :)

1. fixed bluetooth not being detected on quick boots
2. fixed some Intel bluetooth devices not being detected
3. fixed GUI related cheatcodes not always being loaded
4. added support to boot via Ventoy
5. added PorteuX Power Profile Switcher application to handle different CPU governors in order to maximize battery life or performance; settings will persist after boot
6. removed the following power manager packages because they were either causing issues or not working properly: power-profiles-daemon, powertop, TLP
7. removed dhcp (replaced with internal NetworkManager dhcp)
8. patched lxtask (LXDE) to inform correct memory consumption
9. updated kernel to 6.6.1 (waiting for 6.6.6!)
10. updated GNOME to 45.1 (current only)
11. updated KDE to 5.27.9 (current only)
12. updated LXQt to 1.4.0
13. updated many packages in both stable and current, including: sysvinit (3.08), procps (4.0.4), unrar (6.2.12)
14. updated some PorteuX application icons

Downloads available at: https://github.com/porteux/porteux/releases/latest
Last edited by porteux on 16 Nov 2023, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

Post#2 by roadie » 16 Nov 2023, 06:42

The posted link isn't working for me, it shows the latest as 0.7.

seed_clapper
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 5 LXQT

Post#3 by seed_clapper » 16 Nov 2023, 07:49

porteux wrote:
15 Nov 2023, 23:57
added support to boot via Ventoy
Thank you. Tested it on a pc with already installed porteux and ventoy correctly loaded iso.
roadie wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 06:42
it shows the latest as 0.7
Something is wrong with github. Try switching to "tags" https://github.com/porteux/porteux/tags or link for latest version https://github.com/porteux/porteux/releases/latest

Did anyone encounter problem with downloading OnlyOffice from PorteuX App Store? It just say "Usage gtkdialog.py [-h] [-p PRIMARY_TEXT] [-s SECONDARY_TEXT] [-d DIALOG_TYPE] [-t TIMEOUT] and do nothing.

porteux
Samurai
Samurai

Post#4 by porteux » 16 Nov 2023, 08:32

I updated the link in the first post. Github has been really bad these days. I had some problems downloading from third-party repositories as well. And this issue regarding latest releases not showing has been reported many times: https://github.com/orgs/community/discussions/59542

@seed_clapper, I'm glad Ventoy is working for you. :)

Regardind OnlyOffice, it seems they forgot to include an AppImage in the latest release, so we're helpless here. Funny enough, if you go to their releases page, the latest version appearing there is 7.5.0, but the real latest version is 7.5.1 (which doesn't contain any AppImage). Again, Github mess... Well, in the meantime you can manually download the AppImage from 7.5.0 release: https://github.com/ONLYOFFICE/DesktopEditors/releases/

seed_clapper
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by seed_clapper » 16 Nov 2023, 09:41

porteux wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 08:32
so we're helpless here
Is it possible to use this repository instead https://github.com/ONLYOFFICE/appimage-desktopeditors?

porteux
Samurai
Samurai

Post#6 by porteux » 16 Nov 2023, 09:51

@seed_clapper, thanks. Give it a try again in app store and see if it's working :)

porteux
Samurai
Samurai

Post#7 by porteux » 16 Nov 2023, 10:00

Latest release is finally showing in the releases page.

seed_clapper
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#8 by seed_clapper » 16 Nov 2023, 13:32

porteux wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 09:51
Give it a try again in app store and see if it's working
It is working. Downloaded and created module without problem.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#9 by Ed_P » 16 Nov 2023, 16:40

porteux wrote:
15 Nov 2023, 23:57
Ventoy is now finally supported!
:%) What did that involve? I've been able to boot your ISOs with grub2 no problem.
Ed

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#10 by roadie » 16 Nov 2023, 17:24

porteux wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 10:00
Latest release is finally showing in the releases page.
Working fine here. I've noticed that Github has been very flaky for some time. Part depends on the browser being used with Palemoon working sometimes and other times not. At the times when Palemoon isn't working, Firefox usually does.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#11 by roadie » 17 Nov 2023, 06:21

Using PorteuX-v0.8-xfce-4.12-current-x86_64.iso. in Always Fresh mode.

Bugs:

Code: Select all

ndctl --help
ndctl: error while loading shared libraries: libiniparser.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory/
It works when iniparser is installed.....at least the error is gone, I have no idea how to use ndctl.

Running mousepad as root gives this error:

root@porteux:/home/guest# mousepad
Failed to initialize xfconf
It's possible to open a root instance of mousepad if you go through Thunar as root and choose to "Open with mousepad".

Probably nothing to do with PorteuX:

When Brave browser is installed via the PorteuX App Store, running it pops up a box to insert a keyring password.....it can be cancelled and Brave opens. It also locks the desktop until it's cancelled. Brave browser creates directories in /tmp whenever it's started, most have 1 file. It seems to create a new one every minute while in use....21 at last count until I closed it. I've never used Brave browser, so don't know if that's normal behavior for it.......I do know I don't like the default privacy settings it comes with.

There is the perpetual empty .cache directory on /.....I believe created by NetworkManager and is a longstanding thing with both PorteuX and Porteus...no doubt Slackware as well. I say NetworkManager because the directory never appears if NetworkManager is removed. It's probably an upstream thing, not PorteuX or Porteus. I seem to be the only one who notices it anyway.

Some minor things, rather than bugs:

There is an empty boot folder on /...not new, was in v0.7 as well.

There is no /usr/src directory.

The file /opt/porteux-scripts/mloop doesn't handle the stock initrd.zst, an initrd.xz is fine.

root@porteux:/tmp# mloop initrd.zst
using /dev/loop4

Please wait while I gather some info ....

Nothing is mounted in /mnt/loop.

Sorry, no supported file found
The file /opt/porteux-scripts/makeinitrd doesn't exist.

porteux
Samurai
Samurai

Post#12 by porteux » 17 Nov 2023, 13:40

@roadie, thanks for looking at those things! I actually care about little things and I believe that in the end paying attention to them makes a big difference. :)

1- I don't think we need ndctl. Most likely it will be removed in 0.9
2- yeah, this is very annoying but I guess it's an upstream issue. It has been discussed here (6 years ago!): mousepad with root access doesn't work
3- this keyring thing happens to all (most?) Chromium-based browsers. One solution is to hit OK on all these dialogs and then persisting the contents of ~/.local/share/keyrings/
4- yes, this .cache directory in / folder is a bit odd. Gonna investigate if we can get rid of it.
5- this empty /boot folder is created by one native Slackware package, and I'm pretty sure we can remove it for the next release since we don't use it
6- /usr/src appears when you activate the crippled module
7- nice catch! Fixed that for 0.9 (see link below)
8- a new version is already done (see link below)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/rjy3y8dl ... 0.9.tar.gz

Thanks once again!

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#13 by beny » 17 Nov 2023, 22:26

hi rodie you can use the mloop from porteus5.1,well i have used a slackware to test and need httpfs2 and archivemount but outside porteus work:

bash-5.2# '/root/mloop' '/root/initrd.zst' 
Adding new loop device: mknod /dev/loop1 b 7 1

Please wait while I gather some info ....

/root/mloop: line 351: /opt/porteus-scripts/uloop: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '/opt/porteus-scripts/uloop': No such file or directory

Backing up initrd .... 
6111 blocks

##################################################
Your original initrd.zst is still intact
and has been backed up as /root/initrd.zst.bak

Your initrd.zst can not be mounted so it has been unpacked to: 
/tmp/mloop

To repack the initrd move into the directory  /tmp/mloop 
and type:   makeinitrd -z to use zstd compression, or 
            makeinitrd -x to use xz compression 

Here is a list of the files:
bin  cleanup  dev  etc	fatal  finit  init  lib  linuxrc  m  memory  mnt  opt  porteux	proc  run  sys	tmp  union  usr  var

bash-5.2# 

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#14 by roadie » 18 Nov 2023, 22:04

porteux wrote:
17 Nov 2023, 13:40
@roadie, thanks for looking at those things! I actually care about little things and I believe that in the end paying attention to them makes a big difference. :)

1- I don't think we need ndctl. Most likely it will be removed in 0.9
2- yeah, this is very annoying but I guess it's an upstream issue. It has been discussed here (6 years ago!): mousepad with root access doesn't work
3- this keyring thing happens to all (most?) Chromium-based browsers. One solution is to hit OK on all these dialogs and then persisting the contents of ~/.local/share/keyrings/
4- yes, this .cache directory in / folder is a bit odd. Gonna investigate if we can get rid of it.
5- this empty /boot folder is created by one native Slackware package, and I'm pretty sure we can remove it for the next release since we don't use it
6- /usr/src appears when you activate the crippled module
7- nice catch! Fixed that for 0.9 (see link below)
8- a new version is already done (see link below)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/rjy3y8dl ... 0.9.tar.gz

Thanks once again!
@porteux,

Regarding the empty .cache folder on /, I had a look at the NetworkManager source and I can't find any files in it that show the creation of the folder, or even a mention of it. Yet, as I said, when NetworkManager is removed the folder never appears again. It's definitely not a big thing and is easily dealt with through /etc/rc.d/rc.local.....it's just an annoyance as it seems to be a useless folder appearing in a location it shouldn't be in. If it is caused by NetworkManager, then /etc/NetworkManager would be fine, but / not so much.

Having /usr/src in the crippled sources.xzm seems a curious thing, I wouldn't have been surprised if it were in the 05-devel.xzm as it has to be activated to compile anyway. I've never used crippled sources so didn't check it, though I did look in the 05-devel.xzm.

The initrd files you linked to are quite nice, the makeinitrd file is half the size of mine and the mloop file does things with far less lines of code.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#15 by roadie » 18 Nov 2023, 22:05

@beny,

Thanks beny, I actually cobbled together some files a while ago from Porteus 5.0 to use in PorteuX.