I built PorteuX

PorteuX - The Next Experience. It's inspired by Slax and Porteus but with heaps of improvements
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

I built PorteuX

Post#1 by Jack » 25 Jul 2023, 22:20

I built PorteuX today but when I booted up in Graphic Mode with no luck all I got was a black screen. Then I try Always Fresh and this mode it bootup. What could be wrong Graphic Mode?
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

I built PorteuX

Post#2 by Ed_P » 26 Jul 2023, 01:02

Jack wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 22:20
Then I try Always Fresh and this mode it bootup.
What modules did you boot with when you had the problem?
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

I built PorteuX

Post#3 by Jack » 26 Jul 2023, 01:46

I built 001-core, 002-xorg and 002-xtra. I just replace mind with his.I can't believe how easy it was to build them.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

I built PorteuX

Post#4 by Rava » 06 Sep 2023, 13:49

Jack wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 22:20
What could be wrong Graphic Mode?
What happens when you switch back to text mode (to the virtual terminal) via ctrl+alt+F1 (maybe ctrl+alt+F2)
Could be you see some error messages?

Also, when the PorteuX kernel supports the "3" option (it should, it is quite standard), try using the "3" cheat. You will boot into text mode and get the virtual terminal, you can scroll up via Ctrl+PageUp to see if you missed some error messages during boot up.

Then you can log into guest (password guest when PorteuX uses the same default passwords as Porteus) and manually start x via

Code: Select all

startx
When you have a partition that is writeable you can redirect the output of startx to a file. Let's presume you have a writeable-for-guest folder in /mnt/sda1/tmp/, then do this (also when logged into the virtual console as guest):

Code: Select all

startx > /mnt/sda1/tmp/startx.log 2>/mnt/sda1/tmp/startx.error
Normally there should be no errors displayed. Use a working OS to examine /mnt/sda1/tmp/startx.log and /mnt/sda1/tmp/startx.error if there are fatal errors displayed, e.g. some misconfiguration of your X.
When you don't understand what the error messages from /mnt/sda1/tmp/startx.log and /mnt/sda1/tmp/startx.error mean post them in here, but please enclose both outputs into [ code ] to make it better readable.

Added in 1 minute 35 seconds:
Could it be you use a notebook?
Sometimes the system needs some cheat to disable some stuff that would not work by default resulting in a black screen (e.g. a framebuffer), but you need the output of startx to get to the core of your issue.
Cheers!
Yours Rava