PorteuX 1.1 user problems

PorteuX - The Next Experience. It's inspired by Slax and Porteus but with heaps of improvements
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#1 by Ed_P » 10 Mar 2024, 21:54

I'm booting porteux-v1.1-mate-1.28.1-current-x86_64.iso. My Cinnamon (003-cinnamon-6.0.2-current-20240122.xzm) boots and the Slackware screen displays for a few seconds then the screen goes black. No key combination works other than Alt+PrtScr+b. :(

Added in 5 hours 20 minutes 59 seconds:
In porteux-v1.1-mate-1.28.1-current-x86_64.iso I don't see an option in the menu to reboot/restart.
Ed

porteux
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: PorteuX

Post#2 by porteux » 11 Mar 2024, 21:34

I can replicate this Cinnamon issue. It's not top priority at the moment, but I will eventually take a look. Thanks for reporting.

MATE has this 'Shut Down...' menu entry that opens a dialog where you can find Suspend/Restart/Cancel/Shut Down (yes, in this odd order).

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#3 by Ed_P » 11 Mar 2024, 23:50

porteux wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 21:34
MATE has this 'Shut Down...' menu entry
Aw, I misinterpreted it's meaning. Thank you.
Ed

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Post#4 by nanZor » 21 Mar 2024, 06:25

First run at PorteuX - nice work! Running LXDE 1.1 (stable) on a small 2gb SD card, with a savefile.dat, made with an SD card reader on a windows box. Easy.

Code: Select all

guest@porteux:~$ uname -a
Linux porteux 6.7.8-porteux #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Mar  3 11:30:51 CET 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2955U @ 1.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Web browser issue:
Both Firefox-ESR and firefox-latest would install from the app-store and activate, get placed into the modules directory, but it would not show up in the lxde menu. However, the Palemoon browser would download, activate, and the lxde menu system would incorporate it. So I'm using Palemoon for now. Didn't try any of the other browsers to see if they have the same issue as Firefox of not showing up in the menu.

(And as usual with lxde, sometimes one needs to logout and log back in to see menu changes, or font resizing in them settle down, but this trick did not work. So I removed the firefox related browser modules - for now)

Audio:
The small iconized drop drown for audio doesn't actually change audio levels, although the slider can be moved up and down, in addition to the fine-control of the mousewheel up and down also moves the slider. Just no sound level change. The mute box works.

Workaround - I just called up the Launch Mixer, and slid the slider to control the volume there.

Other than the minor stuff, I like what PorteuX is doing so far. Keep up the good work!
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

porteux
Samurai
Samurai

Post#5 by porteux » 21 Mar 2024, 14:07

@nanZor, I can't replicate this Firefox issue not showing in the main menu. Could you try in Always Fresh?

The volume plugin in the task bar is indeed not working since we migrated to pipewire. I'm gonna investigate that.

Thanks for feedback!

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun

Post#6 by nanZor » 21 Mar 2024, 21:29

It works now, even in graphics mode! Yes! For both firefox-latest and firefox-esr (which I usually prefer). I didn't even have to go into always-fresh mode. It works now.

It might have been that when I was first setting up PorteuX, I had too many energy drinks going last night. And in my impatience, I had set up BOTH a savefile.dat and a save-module, which kind of confused matters maybe. :lol:

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun

Post#7 by nanZor » 22 Mar 2024, 06:34

[SOLVED]

UPDATE *** user problem! Moved the install to several machines, and ended up connecting multiple times to the same network - with the same name! Resulted in the confusion. The nmtui-edit editor works. ***

The following is left for self-embarrasment...

LXQT 1.1 Stable - cannot disable ipv6 with the cli nmtui-edit (and workaround) ..

Changed from lxde to LXQT. Tried to disable ipv6 for my small wireless network behind my router. Although the nmtui-edit editor (via icon dropdown) allowed me to edit the connection to disable ipv6, it doesn't seem to take/save the preference. When examining the connection after a reboot, the connection always appears to be assigned both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses, despite ipv6 being disabled in nmtui-edit. Note that the "ok" tab-button was hit to finish the config.

Workaround: (used nmcli command manually)

nmcli connection modify myWirelessExample ipv6.method "disabled"
myWirelessExample should be changed to your actual network name obviously. Checked the connection after reboot, and ipv6 disabled for my wireless network in lxqt porteux.

LXQT PorteuX is doing fine, just small stuff. Fun! Thanks to devs and contributors!

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun

Post#8 by nanZor » 23 Mar 2024, 21:14

Screen - DPMS different from porteus 5.01 ...

Just noticed that I can't seem to get the screensave / DPMS powersave working to shut my monitor down like in Porteus 5.01

When I do xset q :

In PorteuX LXQT stable, I notice that all the values for DPMS such as Standby, Suspend, and Off, are set to zero.
In Porteus 5.01, these values are all set to 600, which shut down my monitor fine.

I can manually work Xset to manipulate my monitor powerdown, but using xset dpms in PorteuX with any values don't seem to have any timeout affect.

Probably me, maybe a design decision(?), but it would be nifty to have the dpms powerdown work as in porteus.... all minor stuff when you get a round tuit. :)

*** UPDATE *** - in the meantime, I converted xscreensaver 6.06 from pkgs.org Slackware 15 and works. Had to fiddle with .xscreensaver file to point to lxqt wallpaper path manually for some reason, although all I needed was the powerdown. No problem. ***

porteux
Samurai
Samurai

Post#9 by porteux » 25 Mar 2024, 14:48

@nanZor, have you tried this command?

xset dpms 600 600 600
Regarding LXQt behavior difference between Porteus 5.01 and PorteuX 1.1 stable, I haven't looked at it, but the versions don't match: 1.3.0 (Porteus) vs 1.4.0 (PorteuX).

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun

Post#10 by nanZor » 26 Mar 2024, 11:19

Hi! Yep, I tried that. I could verify the change, but it never powers down. Almost as if something is hard coded blocking my settings. The FUNNY thing is that in Porteus 5.01, I have the same problem, only the monitor shuts down every 10 minutes if I change it to 10 hours! :)

Here's my monitor:

guest@porteux:~$ xrandr --listmonitors
Monitors: 1
 0: +*HDMI-1 1920/476x1080/268+0+0  HDMI-1
xset q:

timeout:  600    cycle:  600
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0x0    WhitePixel:  0xffffff
Font Path:
  /usr/share/fonts/TTF,built-ins
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 600    Suspend: 600    Off: 600
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On
Font cache:
  Server does not have the FontCache Extension
guest@porteux:~$
So, just stays awake in the PorteuX case. Kinda' like Porteu* just ignores xset dpms timeout commands. Although I can manually force it on or off.

My test with xscreensaver for just simple power-down is overkill, hoping I wouldn't have to make a 10-monitor.conf kind of config. Lazy me. :)

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun

Post#11 by nanZor » 26 Mar 2024, 23:23

AHA! I think I'm on to something - but it could be just me.

1) I can manually manipulate the screen on or off with this to confirm functionality:

sleep1; xset dpms force off
2) HOWEVER, if I am in always-fresh mode, I can manipulate the dpms timeouts and see my changes with xset -q, BUT they never activate! The ability to manipulate OFF/Standby etc, but not have the timeouts work, despite being reported in xset -q is what is throwing me.

3) BUT, when I boot in graphical mode, with a savefile, when I do make changes to the dpms timeouts they work as expected.

Now I just have to see if this logic works in reverse in Porteus. This could just be a major local PEBCAK. Will report later...

**[UPDATE]** Sorry for all the xset noise...
Started with a totally fresh install of PortueX LXQT stable.
Whether I use always fresh, or with a savefile, xset dpms 600 600 600 does not work. Or any other value like 60 60 60.
But, my hunch tells me that using xscreensaver, even just one time, and totally removing it and it's .xscreensaver file, still leaves a bit flipped somewhere in the savefile that allows for the dpms timings to now be actively set by the user, and not just reported by xset q. My Porteus 5.01 may be similarly tainted. Later on that.

[UPDATE 2] - gonna' let this one go. Now I'm crashing the lxqt panel and more on startup. To the point where all I have left is a cool openbox menu to shut down again. Pretty neat, beats going to the VT to do it.

Just know this isn't griping - I'm actually having a lot of FUN and learning stuff in the process. Thanks porteux!

porteux
Samurai
Samurai

Post#12 by porteux » 27 Mar 2024, 10:33

I believe LXQt power settings overwrites DPMS ones. Could you try to use it instead?