xfce-terminal Save Contents issue with mousepad…

Technical issues/questions of an intermediate or advanced nature.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#1 by Rava » 16 Jan 2022, 09:19

What kind of extra data gets saves when I use xfce-terminal main menu Entry Terminal ▷ Save Contents issue with mousepad…
Mousepad cannot determine which encoding to be used.
file is no help.
What I saved is the output of a youtube playlist, created via

Code: Select all

youtube-dl --yes-playlist -F "YOUTUBE-URL"
I could just redirect the output into a file, but sometimes I want to capture the output of several past ran programs into one file, therefore I want to figure out what's with the saved via Terminal ▷ Save Contents file saved as "playlist.txt".

Code: Select all

$ file playlist.txt 
playlist.txt: data
l3afpad can open the playlist.txt just fine, but not mousepad:
Important to know that mousepad is the default plain text editor in XFCE, I just happen to also activatel l3afpad, or else I would have no editor to edit or view the saved file in XFCE DE.
(Currently still using 030-l3afpad-0.8.18.1.11-x86_64-1_ncm.xzm - I presume there is a newer version available, but why bother with updating it when that l3afpad version works flawlessly?)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Post#2 by fulalas » 16 Jan 2022, 21:26

Mousepad it too lazy to auto-detect the actual encoding :D You need to help it: select 'Other' and see if something comes up. If not, please post a link to the text file so we can test it.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#3 by Rava » 17 Jan 2022, 12:41

fulalas wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 21:26
Mousepad it too lazy to auto-detect the actual encoding :D You need to help it: select 'Other' and see if something comes up. If not, please post a link to the text file so we can test it.
I try, since I saved the .txt on the ramdisk and the system crashed in the meantime, I have to get a terminal to include the saved contents as data.

The one test I ran just now resulted in an ASCII .txt and that is of no help.

When I again got a saved contents as data I will upload it, or maybe geany will tell me what kind of encoding was used.
(I forgot to ask geany the last time, but most people only have mousepad, and no l3afpad and especially no geany)
Cheers!
Yours Rava